MS Paint replacement

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
At the risk of being burned at the stake, I would like to ask if anyone knows of an inexpensive Mac program that can perform the same functions as Microsoft's infamous Paint.

My main need is this:

I have two JPG images that I need to concatenate side by side, and then make a cropping of the combined image. I've looked for several weeks but have yet to find a program that meets my needs. I'm really trying to avoid busying Parallels just to run Paint.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Paintbrush is the best,I'm convinced. A simple search would have sufficed.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    That's debatable. I recommend Rita. Wayyyyyy better.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
  • Reply 5 of 9
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Thanks everybody.

I'm not sure how I missed Paintbrush in my searches. That looks like it should fill my needs.

Thanks again for helping me out.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    adjei7adjei7 Posts: 32member
    You can't quit looking until you have tried Gimp. One of the best free picture editors out. Been a bit buggy of late, but they sorted most of the issues out, which were due to the new Leopard X11. Again, once 10.5.2 comes out, that shouldn't pose a problem.

The only one of the others I have tried is seashore, which is nice, but far too limited for me compared to Gimp. But if you're not looking for something too fancy I guess you wont need it.

K
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjei7 View Post

You can't quit looking until you have tried Gimp. One of the best free picture editors out. Been a bit buggy of late, but they sorted most of the issues out, which were due to the new Leopard X11. Again, once 10.5.2 comes out, that shouldn't pose a problem.

The only one of the others I have tried is seashore, which is nice, but far too limited for me compared to Gimp. But if you're not looking for something too fancy I guess you wont need it.

K

Thanks. I was trying to avoid using the GIMP though, mostly because it seems way to big for what I need. It's like using a nuclear reactor to make a bowl of popcorn. Thanks for the reply, though.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    As lead developer, would it be wrong for me to also recommend Paintbrush?

Anyway, we just released version 1.1 which corrects a lot of the issues with previous versions, so make sure you're fully updated using the built-in updater. Oh, and definitely feel free to recommend changes for future versions.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

Thanks. I was trying to avoid using the GIMP though, mostly because it seems way to big for what I need. It's like using a nuclear reactor to make a bowl of popcorn. Thanks for the reply, though.

Nuclear reactors make the best popcorn! but fair enough, worth a mention though.

K