USB Audio Keyboard - Plug & Play?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there,

I received a funky roll-up USB audio keyboard for Christmas. It comes with software for the PC and I have run that on a PC and it works fine.

However, not understanding exactly what "Plug & Play" means, I assumed it would work without drivers on both Mac & PC. Unfortunately however, when I plug it into my Mac, I cannot get it to work with either Live or Garageband.

When I launch System Profiler it shows up merely as "USB Device". Does anyone know if there is any way of getting this keyboard to work with my Mac software? Considering there are other Mac Plug & Play keyboards and the keyboard is simply a collection of switches, is there anything I can do to get this keyboard to work?

Thanks,

:-Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    bump!

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Need a Mac driver.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    So are you saying that there is in fact no way to use this keyboard with a Mac? Considering the manufacturers are not going to produce me a driver... Isn't it wrong of them to say it's Plug & Play though? What is Plug & Play supposed to be if you need a driver?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

So are you saying that there is in fact no way to use this keyboard with a Mac?

Fusion, Parallels or boot camp. I think that's your only options on the Mac.

You could always contact the manufacturer and see what they say.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I think it's pretty clear Mac isn't supported...

Quote:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

PC with Intel Pentium 4 or compatible processor that operates at 2.4GHz or faster

128MB or more RAM

100MB of available hard drive space

Any Windows compatible soundcard using WDM, ASIO or DirectSound drivers

CD-ROM Drive

One available USB 1.1 port on your computer to plug in the piano

Display adapter capable of 800*600 in 16 bit color

Microsoft Windows XP with Internet connection

• Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Fusion, Parallels or boot camp. I think that's your only options on the Mac.

You could always contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

Shame. oh well, maybe I'll just take it back and get a normal keyboard instead. Was a nice idea anyway!

Does anyone know what is meant by Plug & Play then anyway? Is Plug & Play PC different from Plug & Play Mac?

Considering the keyboard is simply a 'box' containing switches, is there no way to get a generic driver to use it?