External Hardrive. Won't Mount

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I've had an airport extreme for a couple of months and i found an old laptop hardrive that came out of my ibook g4 when i upgrade it. Originally i cloned the drive so last night i plugged it up to my mbp and tried reformat it only to find out it wouldn't mount anywhere. It wouldn't show up on the desktop, finder, disk utility so being close to bedtime i look at some other threads and saw other people having similiar problems that were running leopard. I checked for updates and everything was fine including the base station so possibly caches? Does anyone have any suggestions. I guess i have something to play with whenever i get home from work. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaunymac View Post

So I've had an airport extreme for a couple of months and i found an old laptop hardrive that came out of my ibook g4 when i upgrade it. Originally i cloned the drive so last night i plugged it up to my mbp and tried reformat it only to find out it wouldn't mount anywhere. It wouldn't show up on the desktop, finder, disk utility so being close to bedtime i look at some other threads and saw other people having similiar problems that were running leopard. I checked for updates and everything was fine including the base station so possibly caches? Does anyone have any suggestions. I guess i have something to play with whenever i get home from work. Thanks

What are you using to plug the drive up to the MBP, is it via USB or FW?

Does the drive get power (can you feel it spin up), does the HDD show up in disk utility at all??

If it doesnt show up in disk utility as drive (maybe without a volume to it) im not sure what to tell you. Maybe check the drive dock, ext enclosure, or what ever your using to plug up the drive to the MBP.

Maybe the drive is bad?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The drive is connected via usb 2.0. I have a green indicator light on the outside and I can feel it and hear it spinning if close enough. I guess that was all obvious to me was why i failed to mention it. Oh and thanks for the prompt respone. I tried deleting the caches but had no luck with that so im still not sure of what to do unless any of you have anything else to add or try. When i replaced the drive my ibook g4 it was only for storage reasons bc of photoshop and recordings, nothing to do with a faulty drive. So if anyone has any suggestions drop them my way and ill be happy to try something in case someone else out there reading is expierencing? this as well.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Oh, whenever i get back to the house im going to wake up the beast, the powermac G3 and see if its a leopard issue. If so im going to be pissed bc this is just one of many things on the list that has screwed me with leopard. As much as i hate to say it, im starting to feel like the commercial where they talk about everyone going from vista to xp or is it vice versa leopard to tiger?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    well i tried to mount it with my g3 and it still wouldnt recognize it so im guessing its a bad drive. so againg i have nothing left to try unless any of you out there have any suggestions. thanks