New Apple Cinema Displays?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been waiting for a Cinema Display refresh for over a year and a half now...to make matters worse, Apple has removed the direct link to their displays on their online Store. You now how have to dig deep to find the displays page inside the 'accessories' category.

What do you guys think? New Cinema Displays at MW or is Apple stealthily dropping these displays? After almost 3 years of no refresh to the line though, this is probably Apple's only chance left to refresh its line...after this MW, people will probably be buying third-party displays...nobody in their right mind would buy the current Cinema Displays at the price Apple has listed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    IMO the Cinema Displays will be around for a while. Could be price drops, could be iSight, could be LED, etc. Hard to say. May be related to Mac Pro + Phenomenon (successor to Shake), etc.

It is pretty buried because the Pro desktop stuff sits a bit behind the consumer/ mobile pro lines.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    When Apple gets resolution independence implemented in OS X, I'd expect them to offer new large, high quality, high resolution, high priced Cinema Displays to show it off. Maybe not before then though.

I got tired of waiting and bought HP.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

I've been waiting for a Cinema Display refresh for over a year and a half now

Same here. Since the Mac Pro came out?

Quote:

Apple has removed the direct link to their displays on their online Store

Maybe, but if you go to their site and click "Mac" on the bar, you see the Cinema Displays right there in their product lineup (horizontal scroll).

In any event, I sincerely hope they update the displays. I may not be able to wait past MacWorld. It depresses me to have to choose between Dell and HP.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    20" displays are passé and I'm ready to upgrade my Mac Pro to a 23"/24" display. Would love an Apple IR receiver and iSight bundled in too as well as the sexy glass and LED backlighting. Will buy one at the standard exaggerated Apple price just have to tough it out a bit longer!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Anybody got any experience of the HP W2408H 24" display?

It APPEARS to be better value for money than the equivalent Cinema HD Display.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Apple has removed the direct link to their displays on their online Store. You now how have to dig deep to find the displays page inside the 'accessories' category.

I bet it has to do with attach rate vs. valuable front-page real-estate. They probably don't sell too many displays as single-item orders. I would conjecture that the vast majority are sold when people order new Mac Pros or Minis. Note that the option to add displays is still there when ordering a Mac Pro, and they get rolled into the Applecare if you buy it.

Not that it isn't way past time for a price-drop and upgrade on their displays, I'm just thinking of alternate reasons why they've been yanked from the front page. I seriously doubt they'll just stop making them altogether.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Woah, Dell just came out with some better monitors. Ignoring that "Crystal" one, check out their new 30"

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=223-4890

100% NTSC gamut and DisplayPort.

Uh, Apple? Where are you?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Woah, Dell just came out with some better monitors. Ignoring that "Crystal" one, check out their new 30"

Good question. I quite like my Dell display. My only complaint is that it's slower to wake by a couple of seconds than my old Apple display was.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

I'd like to see Apple move to DisplayPort with the next update. I don't really care about the NTSC gamut unless that improves HD quality as well. NTSC doesn't really leave a great taste in my mouth.

I'm not sure I really care all that much about LED tech yet as well. Built in iSight would be nice.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I think the 20" might be dropped for 24" LED-LCD and 30" LCD. Both with iSight, some price drops.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Am I the only one who dislikes Dell's Crystal displays? The giant bezel reminds me of Apple's lucite encased cinema displays and lamp G4 iMacs.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

Am I the only one who dislikes Dell's Crystal displays? The giant bezel reminds me of Apple's lucite encased cinema displays and lamp G4 iMacs.

I dislike it too and I presume the glass covers the LCD, making it glossy and reflective; something I would never buy. It looks like the large "bezel" left and right is to hold speakers, but that doesn't work for me either.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Probably getting ready for that big thing they have next week.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think the 20" might be dropped for 24" LED-LCD and 30" LCD. Both with iSight, some price drops.

I think we may see the 20" dropped in favour of a 22".

I also suspect that Apple may discontinue the Cinema Display line completely and introduce two new lines ? one for consumers (6-bit, iSight etc) and one for pros (8-bit, optional iSight etc.) This would make sense as the majority of Mac mini & MacBook users probably are interested in an 8-bit pro screen.

What do you think?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I think we may see the 20" dropped in favour of a 22".

I also suspect that Apple may discontinue the Cinema Display line completely and introduce two new lines ? one for consumers (6-bit, iSight etc) and one for pros (8-bit, optional iSight etc.) This would make sense as the majority of Mac mini & MacBook users probably are interested in an 8-bit pro screen.

What do you think?

Apple does have the name "Studio Display" in its pocket if it ever wants to split the monitor line.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Maybe Apple will blow us away with that patented screen technology that has tiny cameras in the pixels or whatever that patent was that they had.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Maybe Apple will blow us away with that patented screen technology that has tiny cameras in the pixels or whatever that patent was that they had.

Do you have a link to that?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Brushed aluminum bezel, too.

edit: And since it's Dell, people on hardware and deal forums are already picking it up for sub-$1700 with special offers.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't really care about the NTSC gamut unless that improves HD quality as well. NTSC doesn't really leave a great taste in my mouth.

You misunderstand: NTSC gamut refers to the amount of color the monitor can reproduce.

Equal-or-greater than NTSC gamut means much better color than run-of-the-mill LCD monitors, and I think better than the existing Cinema Displays.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Probably getting ready for that big thing they have next week.

My point was simply that Apple must release new Cinema Displays next week, or become obsolete.