MacWorld 2008 Transcript Leaked?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bonsai1214 View Post

i see no point for a portable macbook with no optical drive. kind of defeats the purpose of it being an "ultra portable" laptop.

i'm wondering how the new front row will work too. safari integration?

An ultra portable without an optical drive would be fine for most people interested in a diminutive display and keyboard and historically lower performance at a higher price for the lighter, more portable solution. If the hard drive is large enough you can carry video with you to watch and audio to listen to without the need to carry around optical disks. This might not be your "thing" and I believe that the market for it is relatively small in the laptop market. There is a market for it though, especially if they can come up with an elegant docking solution that does make the sub-notebook a solution that can work as a more powerful desktop when you are at work (or home) but gives you a very light, portable solution to take on the road.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Although it does *sound* like too much, lets cast our minds back to the MacWorld of January 2003. A whole raft of new things were announced - 17 and 12 inch PowerBooks, Airport Extreme and LOADS of new software, and probably loads of other stuff I can't even remember.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post

Although it does *sound* like too much, lets cast our minds back to the MacWorld of January 2003. A whole raft of new things were announced - 17 and 12 inch PowerBooks, Airport Extreme and LOADS of new software, and probably loads of other stuff I can't even remember.

Yea, but last year Apple had a busy time getting the iPhone and Leopard released.

I think that this MacWorld is going to be pretty tame with a Mac Pro release, something iPod/iPhone related (software update and Dev kit most likely), Apple TV announcements like update hardware, software, support for closed captioning, content related partnerships (web like YouTube and download via iTMS) with rentals and hopefully 720p video with 5.1 surround out. There will probably be something software related as well though I'm not sure what that will be so soon after Leopard's release, it feels a little too early for an iLife upgrade.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I don't care what is released, but I want every product to be upgraded to have LASERS. Lasers EVERYWHERE. I don't mean to obsess over feature sets, but, I cannot stress this enough, if the competition gets lasers, and the Mac has none, then there is no reason to buy an Apple product AGAIN. Lasers are the technology of the future, and without them, THERE IS NO FUTURE.

We need lasers of every kind, color, and power all over the MacBook NANO, and at least one laser on the WIMAX iPhone. The MB and MBP need one strong laser and a backup one that runs without the batteries, one blue laser on Mac mini the as well as two lasers on the iMac, three on the Mac Pro, and some smaller lasers on the iPods, in accordance with their size, inversely, to make up for the pricier ones being QUANTITATIVELY better. They also need to release an attachable laser called the iLaser that is USB 2.0 that attaches to older Macs that lack LASER-CAPABILITY. The non-laser-enabled users will lose access to THE FUTURE and likely DIE.

Again, Apple MUST DO THIS in order to keep their products competitive to the products of competitors who may ALREADY BE ADDING LASERS TO THEIR MACHINES.

P.S. The iLaser will also be appealing to users with lasers, who simply want MORE LASERS, because more lasers make things DEMONSTRABLY BETTER.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

I don't care what is released, but I want every product to be upgraded to have LASERS. Lasers EVERYWHERE. I don't mean to obsess over feature sets, but, I cannot stress this enough, if the competition gets lasers, and the Mac has none, then there is no reason to buy an Apple product AGAIN. Lasers are the technology of the future, and without them, THERE IS NO FUTURE.

We need lasers of every kind, color, and power all over the MacBook NANO, and at least one laser on the WIMAX iPhone. The MB and MBP need one strong laser and a backup one that runs without the batteries, one blue laser on Mac mini the as well as two lasers on the iMac, three on the Mac Pro, and some smaller lasers on the iPods, in accordance with their size, inversely, to make up for the pricier ones being QUANTITATIVELY better. They also need to release an attachable laser called the iLaser that is USB 2.0 that attaches to older Macs that lack LASER-CAPABILITY. The non-laser-enabled users will lose access to THE FUTURE and likely DIE.

Again, Apple MUST DO THIS in order to keep their products competitive to the products of competitors who may ALREADY BE ADDING LASERS TO THEIR MACHINES.

P.S. The iLaser will also be appealing to users with lasers, who simply want MORE LASERS, because more lasers make things DEMONSTRABLY BETTER.

Why not just change the name to the iMac 2010, Mac Pro 2010, iPod 210, etc....
  • Reply 26 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There's just no way Steve would allow the contents of his keynote to go beyond a very small circle of insiders. I'm calling BS.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsrfr View Post

As everybody?s favorite keynote of the year approaches, more and more rumors about the great iProducts to come begin floating around the great rumor mill. Our friends over at MacRumors have supposedly obtained a draft version of the keynote transcripts for the upcoming MacWorld 2008. I have no idea if it is real or not, but I wouldn?t doubt it. Here?s a summary of the speculated things to come. Here?s a compiled list of what MacRumor?s two transcripts consist of. Remember, none of this is guaranteed and nothing is promised, so don?t hold your breath on it.

Mac Nano

?\tRedesigned Mac?Mini

?\tHalf the height as its predecessor

?\tNow has an anodized aluminum shell.

?\t2.2GHz and 2.4GHz Santa Rosa chips

?\t32GB flash solid state drive (64GB build-to-order option, also option for 160GB conventional HDD)

?\tOn sale at MacWorld, ships February

I want to go on record as saying that I mentioned the Mini getting SSD a few days ago. Not to toot my own horn but just to point out there is more than one person leaning in the direction of believing this. While the benefit isn't as clear as on an ultra mobile device flash none the less makes for a very low power machine.

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 59
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

WHERE ARE THE FLYING CARS??? IT IS 2008 FOR GAWDSSSAKE !!!!!!! ARGHHGHG
  • Reply 29 of 59
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    I will break these down into the four business units.

Intro, really excited.

Before he jumps into the new stuff, takes 10 minutes to talk about the successful launch of leopard. Maybe has the next leopard update to talk about, maybe not.

Macintosh

1) New Black enclosures for MacBook and Macbook Pro

2) Updated spec's, new pricing

3) Macbooks are the biggest sellers, so they get the major update. New Macbook Tablet. same macbook as we know and love, but the screen slides around backwards and it becomes a touch screen tablet. Comes with two new pieces of software to show off the touch capabilities.

iPhone

1) some sort of major tweak to the interface.

2) 4-5 new features/apps. (MMS, Video recording, Video broadcasting through .Mac, IM, Voice recognition through headset, updated maps. apple remote app - lets you control apple TV, iTunes, Keynote, QT, etc) Apple knows they have to get these on the phone before SDK comes out.

3) .Mac update to support the video streaming)

4) overview of world sales and reference to rollout to new countries (Canada, 3 EU, Australia)

5) Beta SDK available today, Steve indicates full SDK still on track for Q1.

iPod/iTunes (Steve say's, "This is the day I have been waiting for since iTunes rolled out"

1) Beatles on iTunes.

2) Best band deserves best iPod (Beatles iPod Touch) similar to the U2 iPod concept

3) Ebooks on iTunes, DRM updates, Total number of sales has passed 3.5Billion

4) iTunes Movie rentals. Fox, disney, Paramount, Miramax, etc. (Big demo/great pricing)

Apple TV

1) New enclosure - Hardware spec update

2) Blu-ray drive added - Now supports full 1080p

3) Update to Front row to take advantage of movie rental and Blu-Ray

One more thing.........

Apple re-invents the Dock which results in re-inventing the All-In-One computer. The new "Macbook Touch" mentioned above can slide into an iMac shell and it powers the screen. see patent info from rumor mills last week. This is a laptop, Tablet, and desktop (all in one.)

Steve thanks everyone for their hard work, thanks families.

Paul McCartney comes out to sing to celebrate Beatles on iTunes. (I would guess he sings Dance Around, Imagine, or maybe he asks Steve for a request)
  • Reply 30 of 59
    what, and no xMac, The Mac, whatever mac. basically mid range desktop mac. but thats not such a catchy name, prediction?

this is admittedly what i would expect from one, and mostly want.

Single CPU, default dual core, optional quad core between 2.0-2.6mhz

Dual, user upgradeable drive bays, default drive 500 gig (imac default drive size bumped to 500 too, because face it 320 is too for a default today)

Up To 4 gigs of memory in 2x DIMM memory slots, accepts standard DDR2(DDR3 now?) memory

upgradeable PCI-E graphics. face it, the default is likely to be a ATI 2400XT or Nvidia 8200GT, as far as upgradeability goes, it could go as high as an 8800GT, or maybe just top out at the upper-midrange cards. only way this is going to get a decent video card by default is if apple actually include a pro-class card as default in the pro

Superdrive default, only one bay, blu-ray optional

all in an alu chassis, half of the size of the mac pro, near silent cooling (maybe an external PSU module to keep the size, down)

Starts at $900
  • Reply 31 of 59
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aegelward View Post

what, and no xMac, The Mac, whatever mac. basically mid range desktop mac. but thats not such a catchy name, prediction?

this is admittedly what i would expect from one, and mostly want.

Single CPU, default dual core, optional quad core between 2.0-2.6mhz

Dual, user upgradeable drive bays, default drive 500 gig (imac default drive size bumped to 500 too, because face it 320 is too for a default today)

Up To 4 gigs of memory in 2x DIMM memory slots, accepts standard DDR2(DDR3 now?) memory

upgradeable PCI-E graphics. face it, the default is likely to be a ATI 2400XT or Nvidia 8200GT, as far as upgradeability goes, it could go as high as an 8800GT, or maybe just top out at the upper-midrange cards. only way this is going to get a decent video card by default is if apple actually include a pro-class card as default in the pro

Superdrive default, only one bay, blu-ray optional

all in an alu chassis, half of the size of the mac pro, near silent cooling (maybe an external PSU module to keep the size, down)

Starts at $900

Ah... I am surprised the xMac posts didn't come out sooner.

But honestly, no xMac this year. Apple is just not playing in that space.

Given trends for portables PC/Mac/Linux/Etc to outsell desktops this year,

Apple won't go close to the xMac.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geobe View Post

I will break these down into the four business units.

Intro, really excited.

Before he jumps into the new stuff, takes 10 minutes to talk about the successful launch of leopard. Maybe has the next leopard update to talk about, maybe not.

Macintosh

1) New Black enclosures for MacBook and Macbook Pro

2) Updated spec's, new pricing

3) Macbooks are the biggest sellers, so they get the major update. New Macbook Tablet. same macbook as we know and love, but the screen slides around backwards and it becomes a touch screen tablet. Comes with two new pieces of software to show off the touch capabilities.

iPhone

1) some sort of major tweak to the interface.

2) 4-5 new features/apps. (MMS, Video recording, Video broadcasting through .Mac, IM, Voice recognition through headset, updated maps. apple remote app - lets you control apple TV, iTunes, Keynote, QT, etc) Apple knows they have to get these on the phone before SDK comes out.

3) .Mac update to support the video streaming)

4) overview of world sales and reference to rollout to new countries (Canada, 3 EU, Australia)

5) Beta SDK available today, Steve indicates full SDK still on track for Q1.

iPod/iTunes (Steve say's, "This is the day I have been waiting for since iTunes rolled out"

1) Beatles on iTunes.

2) Best band deserves best iPod (Beatles iPod Touch) similar to the U2 iPod concept

3) Ebooks on iTunes, DRM updates, Total number of sales has passed 3.5Billion

4) iTunes Movie rentals. Fox, disney, Paramount, Miramax, etc. (Big demo/great pricing)

Apple TV

1) New enclosure - Hardware spec update

2) Blu-ray drive added - Now supports full 1080p

3) Update to Front row to take advantage of movie rental and Blu-Ray

One more thing.........

Apple re-invents the Dock which results in re-inventing the All-In-One computer. The new "Macbook Touch" mentioned above can slide into an iMac shell and it powers the screen. see patent info from rumor mills last week. This is a laptop, Tablet, and desktop (all in one.)

Steve thanks everyone for their hard work, thanks families.

Paul McCartney comes out to sing to celebrate Beatles on iTunes. (I would guess he sings Dance Around, Imagine, or maybe he asks Steve for a request)

The MacBook was updated recently (October or November, there won't be an update to it this month.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    one sure thing i want to see DEATH OF COMBO DRIVE!

anyone disagree?
  • Reply 34 of 59
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    With all this talk of MacBook touch / Macbook tablet flying around, Axiotron/OWC must be crapping themselves!

• Reply 35 of 59
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's just no way Steve would allow the contents of his keynote to go beyond a very small circle of insiders. I'm calling BS.

Don't know? I doubt Jobs and company compile the Keynote presentation file and produce the sprial bound notes that Jobs sometimes uses.

At this point, we don't know...

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Knowing the snail's pace at which Steve Jobs likes to present new stuff, all of this would take a day and a half to introduce.

The first item on the list, Mac nano, wouldn't surprise me. Apple seems obsessed with reducing the size of their hardware. Such a Mac would likely be a great computer but would be pooh-poohed by those who want tower specs in a micro computer.

From this list, I'd say pick two items and you might have a chance of being right about what we'll actually see at Macworld. Some of the rest might be spread out over the entire year.

Maybe not. The MacPro, MacBook Pro and the displays would be very quick update.

There is limited to no software to demo. It could be a fast keynote...
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

With all this talk of MacBook touch / Macbook tablet flying around, Axiotron/OWC must be crapping themselves!

Wasn't Axiotron waiting for Apple's approval to sell their Modbook? No wonder it took them so long. On the market less than a month before Apple's own unit is for sale....

Dave
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Don't know? I doubt Jobs and company compile the Keynote presentation file and produce the sprial bound notes that Jobs sometimes uses.

At this point, we don't know...

Dave

Of course we don't know for sure, but according to one of the guys who used to actually MAKE presentations at Apple, Steve does not let the cat out of the bag and will change the presentation at the last minute almost every time to keep people on their toes.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Oh, and there's one more thing...

• Reply 40 of 59
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Oh, and there's one more thing...

Despite looking awful in pictures, I always though that and the flower power were surprisingly pleasing in person.