Macbook suddenly won't see websites /internet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a problem with a Macbook which is connected to the internet (or not!) via ethernet router and cable modem. It simply has stopped DNS lookup (it just hangs about 15% into the lookup and then says I'm not connected to the internet!) The Mac I'm writing this on is currently connected the same way and obviously works. The Macbook

OS is 10.4.11 with no haxies installed. Network settings state that the ethernet is active and connected but network diagnostics state that the ISP failed... I can connect to other machines (including this one) without a problem, but the internet / software update etc. is a no go! Even directly connecting to the modem does nothing.

Please help if you can as I am severely struggling. Many Many thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by telekon View Post

I have a problem with a Macbook which is connected to the internet (or not!) via ethernet router and cable modem. It simply has stopped DNS lookup (it just hangs about 15% into the lookup and then says I'm not connected to the internet!) The Mac I'm writing this on is currently connected the same way and obviously works. The Macbook

OS is 10.4.11 with no haxies installed. Network settings state that the ethernet is active and connected but network diagnostics state that the ISP failed... I can connect to other machines (including this one) without a problem, but the internet / software update etc. is a no go! Even directly connecting to the modem does nothing.

Please help if you can as I am severely struggling. Many Many thanks in anticipation.

What IP # are you getting, if its a 169.xxx.xxx.xx then the MB is not getting any REAL IP#'s.

If youre getting a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or anything but a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then you should be able to go into the terminal and type in

"ping www.yahoo.com"

You should getting something like this:

64 bytes from (WAN IP#): icmp_seq=4 ttl=46 time=40.180 ms

64 bytes from (WAN IP#): icmp_seq=5 ttl=46 time=38.196 ms

64 bytes from (WAN IP#): icmp_seq=6 ttl=46 time=41.175 ms

if your not getting an IP and you can take the ethernet cable from that MB and plug it into your 2nd MB and are able to get an good IP then it may be the ethernet port on the MB.

You can test this by boot one MB into target disk mode and boot the 2nd MB off the first to test that its not software.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by windowsuck View Post

What IP # are you getting, if its a 169.xxx.xxx.xx then the MB is not getting any REAL IP#'s.

If youre getting a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or anything but a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then you should be able to go into the terminal and type in

"ping www.yahoo.com"

You should getting something like this:

64 bytes from (WAN IP#): icmp_seq=4 ttl=46 time=40.180 ms

64 bytes from (WAN IP#): icmp_seq=5 ttl=46 time=38.196 ms

64 bytes from (WAN IP#): icmp_seq=6 ttl=46 time=41.175 ms

if your not getting an IP and you can take the ethernet cable from that MB and plug it into your 2nd MB and are able to get an good IP then it may be the ethernet port on the MB.

You can test this by boot one MB into target disk mode and boot the 2nd MB off the first to test that its not software.

Thanks very much. I'll give that a try later. Much appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    When it happens again, trying web surfing via IP address (you can rule out DNS this way).

Here is Google's: http://64.233.187.99/

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

When it happens again, trying web surfing via IP address (you can rule out DNS this way).

Here is Google's: http://64.233.187.99/

Dave

Thanks for your help guys. Turns out it is hardware - I have established that I have two faulty CAT5 cables(!) caused by a power spike on my router (which is now very sick!). Once again, thanks for your advice.