Apple stores to go cashwrap-free; media player sales going flat?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I wonder when Apple will use the iPod Touch for their on-the-spot payment system. An in-house device that plugs into the Touch's 30=pin connector and allows for secure CC info to be sent wirelessly. They have to be working on it; I'd think Jobs doesn't like the current WinCE device they've been using.

I thought the same thing when I was in store but the iphone instead. Surely they can use the camera to scan the number on the front of a credit card or something like how Delicious Library does with bar codes. It could read name, expiry dates etc.

Maybe a swipe attachment on the bottom would be more reliable but the camera thing would be a novelty.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Er... have you been to an Apple store? Don't worry, it works very well.

Works very well? Are you insane? ? ?

I've been to the apple store. The register, point, and scan, done, done, done, then it adds the tax, use those portable devices is about 40% slower. The user has to log in, then scan the item (wait, wait, wait), then the serial (wait, wait, wait), then hit tender, wait, wait, wait, then the credit card, wait, wait, wait, then have the customer sign, wait, wait, wait, then print out the receipt, wait, wait, wait.

The cash register is 200X faster. Not sure what store you have been into. I have actually heard people complain during the Holidays that the device is slooooooooooooooooow compared to the cash register. Much slower. The cash register is hard wired and is instant, the device that is portable is so much slower.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankiilacomposer View Post

Works very well? Are you insane? ? ?

I've been to the apple store. The register, point, and scan, done, done, done, then it adds the tax, use those portable devices is about 40% slower. The user has to log in, then scan the item (wait, wait, wait), then the serial (wait, wait, wait), then hit tender, wait, wait, wait, then the credit card, wait, wait, wait, then have the customer sign, wait, wait, wait, then print out the receipt, wait, wait, wait.

The cash register is 200X faster. Not sure what store you have been into. I have actually heard people complain during the Holidays that the device is slooooooooooooooooow compared to the cash register. Much slower. The cash register is hard wired and is instant, the device that is portable is so much slower.

It actually worked very well the last time I bought something from an Apple store, without any of the problems you mentioned. Every time I've seen it used in just about every store, it helped speed up my exit from the store by alleviating the limit of not enough POS stations. Your post reads like absurd an hyperbole festival that should just be ignored.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple's managed to sell maybe 130+ million of them and you think they're a product looking for a market?

Or is this some sort of sarcasm?

Not really. Apple doesn't sell, strictly speaking, a so-called PMP, which I take to mean a video player. Apple sells enhanced music players. The majority of users content is music, not video, therefore the main function of the player is to control music.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not really. Apple doesn't sell, strictly speaking, a so-called PMP, which I take to mean a video player. Apple sells enhanced music players. The majority of users content is music, not video, therefore the main function of the player is to control music.

I think that's loco. Music is media too. Even this site calls Apple's products portable media players. I think it's best not to come up with your own interpretation of what these words and phrases mean if you think you're going to be able to communicate.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It actually worked very well the last time I bought something from an Apple store, without any of the problems you mentioned. Every time I've seen it used in just about every store, it helped speed up my exit from the store by alleviating the limit of not enough POS stations. Your post reads like absurd an hyperbole festival that should just be ignored.

Okay, in layman terms, the thing they call easy pay is wireless, the cash register is hard wired, the scanning on the register is INSTANT, there is a 4-7 second delay with the hand held device, so, there is no way it can be faster. None. And, if something is scanned incorret, you have to wait until they hit undo, wait another 4 seconds, then start all over.

No way hard wired will be as fast. Oh and I've seen times where that hand held thingy doesn't take the credit card whereas the register is fine.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankiilacomposer View Post

Well one added benefit of this system is that every employee on the floor can be given a device, massively increasing the number of point of sale sites. Even if it is slower at POS, it saves time for people waiting in line and getting the actual product. The customer would have a direct, straightforward process, that eliminates some of the worst parts of shopping. Moreover, giving everyone a device lets managers gauge sales of products by employees, evaluate them, and offer commissions, if that occurs.

Similarly, a proprietery 802.11n wired device such as an iPhone or iTouch could speed things up, as was mentioned above. But oddly, it seems like during the holiday shopping season, with the crowds, they will most certainly need the registers. Perhaps, like cookies and a woman, they will be a "sometimes thing."