Apple Insider v Apple Nova?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 161
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hassan was living in London and had a penchant for having his really nice bicycle stolen every so often. The details are his own, but needless to say you don't want anything you love to be kept near his bicycle....

And as far as the server fix goes, I have my Poo Log to maintain over there but maybe I'll stick around here for just awhile to watch groverat snarl and stomp, I forgot how much fun that was....
  • Reply 142 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post

Should be back up for everyone shortly, if not reboot or clear your DNS cache.

We moved everything to a new server.

Odds are you're still pointing to the old, dead server.

Not dead, just nailed to the perch...

As for teh "lookupd -flushcache", and reboot, still no joy.

Got an alternative link or solution?

Pining for fjords.

Glad Yule to all at AI.
  • Reply 143 of 161
    'Burb, we were trying figure out how to tell you this... but the whole "AppleNova is Down" thing was just a ruse.

Have fun over here at AI, they're really swell people and they'll take care of you and everything!!

Um, you don't mind if we keep all the pictures of Mars do you?

They like space stuff over here too...
  • Reply 144 of 161
    hmm... this all might be the egg nog talking... This thread brings back some good old memories of blackouts, secret forums, watermelons, and ugly black and green color schemes.

I'm curious how many posters here remember reading pages that looked like this: http://web.archive.org/web/199904290...leinsider.com/ or this http://web.archive.org/web/200102070...n/Ultimate.cgi

I can't believe I was browsing these same forums over 6 years ago. I've been a lurker for the past couple years, but have always enjoyed the conversation. It's been fun to watch a new "generation" of Appleinsider members join in.

As for the the whole Applenova thing, I was a witness to the conflict that resulted in its creation, but always thought the whole thing was rather... juvenile. But it's good to see both communities thriving considering the state of apple now compared to just a few years ago.
  • Reply 145 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

hmm... this all might be the egg nog talking... This thread brings back some good old memories of blackouts, secret forums, watermelons, and ugly black and green color schemes.

I'm curious how many posters here remember reading pages that looked like this: http://web.archive.org/web/199904290...leinsider.com/ or this http://web.archive.org/web/200102070...n/Ultimate.cgi

I can't believe I was browsing these same forums over 6 years ago. I've been a lurker for the past couple years, but have always enjoyed the conversation. It's been fun to watch a new "generation" of Appleinsider members join in.

As for the the whole Applenova thing, I was a witness to the conflict that resulted in its creation, but always thought the whole thing was rather... juvenile. But it's good to see both communities thriving considering the state of apple now compared to just a few years ago.

I understand everything you referenced but the watermelon. Nobody has told me what the watermelon has to do with anything.
  • Reply 146 of 161
    Greetings to all my AN friends!!

Nice to see you all

Fellowship
  • Reply 147 of 161
    We actually covered the Watermelon thing over at AN one time back in '05, here's the link to that story.... but of course it was something from back over here at AI... though it must have been from pre-blackout (unless there have been subsequent thread wiping blackouts since then).... I can't find any references to it in a quick search of the forums here... that makes me a bit sad
  • Reply 148 of 161
    It's just the vbb search function is crap. Doesn't work at AN either. The threads are there but don't rely on search to find them.

Fellows, missed young Oliver previously. Saw him (pics a year old now I gather) in the PO thread. Beautiful boy Fellowship! No less than I'd expect. (And a very snappy dresser.) Belated congrats to you and Heather.
  • Reply 149 of 161
    Oh my golly, I missed Fellowship's message

Wow, how long has it been? And with a new little boy?!! (or was that one of y'all's doggie threads?)
  • Reply 150 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

Fellows, missed young Oliver previously. Saw him (pics a year old now I gather) in the PO thread. Beautiful boy Fellowship! No less than I'd expect. (And a very snappy dresser.) Belated congrats to you and Heather.

Hey you! Oliver will be one this Jan (that pic in the PO thread is recent about 2 weeks old) and Oliver is a good boy. It is nice to see you! I sure hope you are not getting in to too much trouble with yourself..

You know you are welcome to come see us old folks here any ole time you get the bug!!

We like things mixed up!

Stay cool and don't be a stranger or I will have to send my guys after ya!

Love and Joy to all

Fellows
  • Reply 151 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

Oh my golly, I missed Fellowship's message

Wow, how long has it been? And with a new little boy?!! (or was that one of y'all's doggie threads?)

drewprops how the heck are ya? It has been too long! Merry Christmas to you. I have a son now and he is a great kid so far! I sure hope to see you around here and there as you get the chance

Stay cool buddy!!!

Fellows
  • Reply 152 of 161
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegelding View Post

ha...i wonder what my post count is here...did it reset to zero?...

and yes i am a pre blackout AI human that hasn't been here in a while...hoping to find why another site is down...likely tied to the soon to be demise of thinksecret i assume...

and i lurk here from time to time, but usually don't post...seems to be alot of overlap aways...and many post at both sites...

but i admit i 99% stay at the other site mostly because two apple nerd sites is harder to keep track of than one apple nerd site...and i have my scooter nerd site to visit and my nintendo wii nerd site to visit...so that limits me some...only so much nerdiness to go around

though i miss powerdoc and wish he would visit AN from time to time

as for the 30 something frat remark, eh, i'll let it pass as i'm well past my 30's (sadly)...

as for re-combining the two sites back into one...not a horrid idea...but it's not horrid having them split either...

eh, whatever will be will be...

happy holidays...hug and hold tight you loved ones...

g

Hello Thegelding. It's nice to meet you again. I am not here very often now too (I am more concerned right now by photography, sound and piano.

Merry christmass to you all.
  • Reply 153 of 161
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

drewprops how the heck are ya? It has been too long! Merry Christmas to you. I have a son now and he is a great kid so far! I sure hope to see you around here and there as you get the chance

Stay cool buddy!!!

Fellows

Congrats on becoming a daddy! My son will be 3 next month and this Christmas was the first one where he was real excited to see what Santa brought him, and we were quite excited while putting together his first bicycle and hiding it inside a pop-up fire truck.

(I'm bpMF at AN.)
  • Reply 154 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Powerdoc View Post

Hello Thegelding. It's nice to meet you again. I am not here very often now too (I am more concerned right now by photography, sound and piano.

Merry christmas to you all.

You're always welcome to add some new photography to the Color Photography thread. Not to pimp anything, but it's been a while.

If anyone is still having DNS problems, PM me here and I'll see if we can figure something out.
  • Reply 155 of 161
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

You're always welcome to add some new photography to the Color Photography thread. Not to pimp anything, but it's been a while.

If anyone is still having DNS problems, PM me here and I'll see if we can figure something out.

Thanks for the invivation Alcimedes
  • Reply 156 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post

Not dead, just nailed to the perch...

As for teh "lookupd -flushcache", and reboot, still no joy.

Got an alternative link or solution?

Pining for fjords.

Glad Yule to all at AI.

Quote:

Update:

I was having zero luck, despite flushing cache and rebooting.

Then I remembered a previous migration/blackout in 2005 which IIRC included editing my hosts file.

That, of course was pre-Tiger, and easier to modify back then.

Poking around in terminal and vim revealed that as well as blocking ads, I had hardcoded the old applenova IP to various domain names (.org, etc).

A bit of editing and sudo later, and presto... Intertubitude, dude.
  • Reply 157 of 161
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    How funny. I was on vacation in Switzerland during the DNS problems at AN, so I missed the reunion here at AI. (Can't really read AN or AI on my CrackBerry.) But I came here to check out Temporary Insanity while waiting for MWSF announcements.

Totally cool to see Dogcow post to the old post-Reality color scheme. Can't believe that I've been following Mac rumors for well over a decade now.

Time flies, and I've been focusing my sporadic reading and posting on AN. Due to the smaller membership, AN is just easier to keep track of. I consider both AI and AN as my virtual family. It's really nice to see so many old faces here.

Am into my thirties now too, with a lovely daughter age two and a half. Apple and Macs are cool, but family is even more important. Glad to see many work on the latter.

Happy New Year, everybody!

PS: I cannot wait to order a new Sub-MacBook right after the Stevenote on the 15th!! (What did you expect?)
  • Reply 158 of 161
  • Reply 159 of 161
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Looks you might finally get that subnotebook, Escher.
  • Reply 160 of 161
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    So it is actually worthwhile for me to poke my head in AO every so often.

All these usernames... it's just like old times.

As for the reason for the split: As someone who was right in the thick of it let's just say that it's deservedly obscure.

Nice to see you all again!