Warner Bros, Paramount join iTunes movie rental discussions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

No it isn't. While 50 cents isn't going to happen, most people will not be spending $300 for the privilege of renting movies with no extras for $4 that must be watched within 24 hrs. Sorry.

Dave

If you are using your Apple TV ONLY for watching movies you rent, then I agree, $300 for the privilege is a little steep.

However, if you use the Apple TV to watch video podcasts; to listen to music w/o your iPod or computer; or show off photos, then I think it is worth it.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

If you are using your Apple TV ONLY for watching movies you rent, then I agree, $300 for the privilege is a little steep.

However, if you use the Apple TV to watch video podcasts; to listen to music w/o your iPod or computer; or show off photos, then I think it is worth it.

The problem is that most people think the AppleTV was too expensive to watch podcast, listen to music, or view photos. A $3.99 for 24 hrs movie services isn't going to make people want the AppleTV device still....
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:

I don't think this is is going to be a solution for people who use netflix. It is a solution for the people who make a trip to the local video rental store, or who use PPV - where you pay about $4 to rent a movie.

If the service is *as expensive* as the PPV than who would be stupid enough to pay Apple $300 for a device that their cable box is doing right now? The cable box is even more convenient that what Apple could produce....

If Apple introduces movie rentals at $3.99 for 24 hrs it will flop big time.... There are far too many better alternatives out there...

Dave
  • Reply 24 of 58
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Quote:

I don't think this is is going to be a solution for people who use netflix. It is a solution for the people who make a trip to the local video rental store, or who use PPV - where you pay about $4 to rent a movie.

I don't rent enough movies to bother with netflix, and when I want to rent something, I want to rent it now. Renting movies from the iTMS is a perfect solution for me.

Watching them in my Apple TV makes it even better...

Bingo

People are missing the big picture.

AppleTV was not created for rentals only. This will be one more feature to compliment all the other cool features.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:

Sorry.

$300 = Cost of the AppleTV box.

Dave

Er, what about just using the iPod (connected to the TV)? Works for me.

I'll definitely use this. We don't have a Blockbuster in our town and I don't bother with VOD so...this is awesome. Especially for those spontaneous moments.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericgorr View Post

At $3.99, I'll never go through the inconvenience of getting it setup.

There is nothing inconvenient about Netflix and I can get many, many more movies for the same amount of money. Furthermore, for the extremely rare moments when I have a visitor who does not want to watch a movie I own or a movie I have via Netflix, I find that the PPV or On-Demand options of Dish Network are sufficient.

I figure this service would be worthwhile to me at ~$0.50 per rental. $3.99 is simply a ripoff and I hope the Apple can eventually force the studios to recognize this as well.

I don't think it is a rip off. There are many more people who go to the rental stores then use Netflix. I also suspect that a majority of Netflix customers don't rent enough movies to bring down the prices to .50 a rental. When they do the math and look at their cost per movie, they will quickly realize that it costs them pretty close to $3.99 per movie.

This is an issue of convenience and ease of issue, just like the whole Mac Platform.

I rather press a button and download my rental instead of going to the local video store.

This will compete with the PPV market initially, but in the long run when everyone has broadband and HD TVs, AppleTV will be king since it will offer the easiest and best features of any other device.

In 10 years we will look back and be amazed about its success the same way we look back 7 years after the iPods came out.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:

The problem is that most people think the AppleTV was too expensive to watch podcast, listen to music, or view photos. A $3.99 for 24 hrs movie services isn't going to make people want the AppleTV device still....

I think most people have not bought an AppleTV because there are two issues.

One there are still a limited number of HD TV out there at this point.

Mac users are more into their pictures, music, and videos because they are easier to manage. So they are the only ones buying them right now.

When Mac share increases to 15% we will see more AppleTV sold. In the mean time Apple will have to market the ease of use of AppleTV with a Mac vs. PC.

Remember the whole goal here is to sale Mac computers. The iPhone, iPod, and AppleTV are just ways for people to be taught about the benefits of owning a Mac
  • Reply 28 of 58
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heyjp View Post

The $3.99 doesn't bother me as much as the 24 hours. It would be nice to make it 48 or 72. Then you could download 2 or 3 movies on Friday and have the weekend to watch them. With 24 hours, you can really only download 1 at a time.

Need to be HD, for sure.

Jim

I agree - it needs to be 72h, not 24h, but I don't need HD. I will definitely use iTunes for all my movie rentals when this goes through, since I am very forgetful and pay a ton of late fees to my movie store (don't rent enough to justify netflix - just one movie a month or so).

If it is 24h I will be a lot more careful about what I rent, since the window is so small - I would probably rent more movies if it were 72h.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

$3.99 for 24 hours? That seems a bit excessive since I can get a movie for a week at Blockbuster for the same amount or at a Redbox for 99 cents per day.

But people will pay it because they're tools and they like the convenience.

The movies better be HD, though. I'd pay $3.99 for that.

$3.99 is an absolute no-go for me. In certain instances, I imagine it might have some appeal but I'm hard pressed to list any.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have purchased 87 videos from iTS. I have always gotten excellent speeds, even after Xmas when I figure the servers would be bogged down. I would say that I've averaged 6-7Mb/sec and have seen 17Mb/sec. That is surprising since 16Mb/sec is my supposedly my theoretical maximum from my internet provider.

Geez, I hope it's worth it to you. I'd rather wait for the DVDs to hit the bargain rack and buy them with all the extras (commentary tracks, deleted scenes, etc.).
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

The $3.99 doesn't bother me as much as the 24 hours. It would be nice to make it 48 or 72. Then you could download 2 or 3 movies on Friday and have the weekend to watch them. With 24 hours, you can really only download 1 at a time.

Need to be HD, for sure.

Jim

I believe that just like most download rental services, the 24 hour period doesn't start until you start playing it the first time. Thus you could queue them up to download Friday morning before heading to work, watch on Friday, another Saturday, and finish off the final one on Sunday. Chances are they'll have a secondary expiration date as well, 28 days whether viewed or not.

Still doesn't make me any more interested in an AppleTV, especially with the near complete lack of features that have been added to the device in nearly a year.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

I think most people have not bought an AppleTV because there are two issues.

One there are still a limited number of HD TV out there at this point.

Mac users are more into their pictures, music, and videos because they are easier to manage. So they are the only ones buying them right now.

When Mac share increases to 15% we will see more AppleTV sold. In the mean time Apple will have to market the ease of use of AppleTV with a Mac vs. PC.

Remember the whole goal here is to sale Mac computers. The iPhone, iPod, and AppleTV are just ways for people to be taught about the benefits of owning a Mac

Those are two weak arguments.

The reason why the AppleTV didn't sell well is that it is simply too expensive for what it offers. A $4 rental isn't going to change that.

Dave
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is a lot of FUD.

I'm wabbit hunting.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Doesn't matter. It won't be long before the 24 hour restriction will be bypassed and you'll also be able to burn to DVDR no problem.

Every important feature in an iApp has been hacked or bypassed.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:

Those are two weak arguments.

The reason why the AppleTV didn't sell well is that it is simply too expensive for what it offers. A $4 rental isn't going to change that.

Dave

I disagree. I have owned one since it has come out and it is worth every penny.

That is the same argument about why Mac are not selling because they are more expensive.

Eventually people will see the value and rentals is one more selling point.

Keep in mind the first iPods $500 and it took two years to sell 1 million of them. 7 years later the most expensive iPod is still $500 and yet people see value in paying that price.

Apple knows what they are doing and AppleTV is a great product which will take time to mature. I don't think price is the reason people have not bought them up like hotcakes.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

$3.99 for 24 hours? That seems a bit excessive since I can get a movie for a week at Blockbuster for the same amount or at a Redbox for 99 cents per day.

But people will pay it because they're tools and they like the convenience.

No need to result to personal attacks. Did you stop to think that maybe for a moment that part of the reason Blockbuster rents movies for a week is because people need to drive to the store at a convenient time to pick them up and drop them off?

Also, I don't think that people are understanding that the 24hour limit could be when you start watching the movie, not when you download it.

So, what makes me a tool? Saving gas and time by not driving to the store, or not taking more than a day to watch a movie once I start watching it? I don't know about you, but I can generally watch a movie in about two hours.

Not only that, movies are $5 - $6 to rent where I live.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericgorr View Post

At $3.99, I'll never go through the inconvenience of getting it setup.

There is nothing inconvenient about Netflix and I can get many, many more movies for the same amount of money. Furthermore, for the extremely rare moments when I have a visitor who does not want to watch a movie I own or a movie I have via Netflix, I find that the PPV or On-Demand options of Dish Network are sufficient.

I figure this service would be worthwhile to me at ~$0.50 per rental. $3.99 is simply a ripoff and I hope the Apple can eventually force the studios to recognize this as well.

PPV and On-demand from cable has a tiny library of movies - I suspect Apple will have a lot more. And I don't rent often enough to make use of Netflix. This service seems like a good fit for me.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Comcast charges $3.99 for SD and $5.99 for HD for 24 hour rentals so this is in line with their On Demand service. Problem is, I don't use it because it's too expensive. Lower the price or lengthen the rental time. As for $17 purchases that is just ridiculous unless it's 720p. I can buy the DVD version for less and have something tangible to show for my expense.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:

While the rumor says 24 hours from when you purchase, are we certain it's not 24 hours from when we start watching? I guess we'll have to wait until next week to know for certain.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Need to be HD, for sure.

Jim

QFT. I think it's the 24 hour thing that will hurt most, if these reports turn out to be accurate. And if they're HD, that'll be even worse, because of the longer downloads. But if they're not HD, these prices will be very hard to stomach.

As far as paying closer-to-DVD prices for downloads, that might not be so bad if the studios pony up and include the extras we'd have gotten on the DVD. It's too bad no journalists ever ask a studio exec why they should charge equal price without offering equal content, and then ask again when they evade the question and try to divert it to their eternal "Jobs is unfair" diatribe.