MacWorld 2008 Transcript Leaked?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    This is what I'm hoping for at MacWorld...

1. Updated cheaper Cinema Displays...

\t-Integrated iSights

\t-HDMI

\t-Similar Enclosure

\t-20" $399 23" $599 30" $1299

2. iTunes DRM free for music

3. iTunes video subscription service

\t-$20 a month

\t-Unlimited TV shows

\t-Discounted movie rentals

4. Major update to AppleTV- Basically becomes Apple Home Server

\t-Built in iTunes Store

\t-Can stream HD content right from your iTunes subscription

\t-Larger desktop hard drive (500GB)

\t-USB hard drive support w/ backup mirroring

\t-Integrated w/ iLife (iPhoto sees photos on Apple TV for editing)

5. SDK for iPhone

\t-Video recording w/ live streaming over wifi

\t-Multimedia messaging

\t-Locate me feature in maps

\t-Remote for keynote, iTunes, simple OS tasks, Apple TV

\t-Better bluetooth support (sending contacts, voice dialing, etc)

6. MacBook nano

\t-13"

\t-.5" thin

\t-Awesome battery life

\t-Super super small and light

\t-HDMI, 2 USB, Firewire, gigabit, usual ports

\t-Black Aluminum

\t-Possibly comes w/ 20" display "dock"

\t-$1799

I'm not getting my hopes up though. Apple likes to surprise and they're usually very very conservative with their releases.

My main thing I want to see is more integration between everything. I really want a central hub that's backed up with my media (photos, music, movies) that's accessible from many different devices and from anywhere.

A UPnP NAS server w/ Apple style and ease of use would be killer...
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Despite looking awful in pictures, I always though that and the flower power were surprisingly pleasing in person.

I always liked them too...
  • Reply 43 of 59
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I always liked them too...

What the hell are you guys smokin?
  • Reply 44 of 59
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What the hell are you guys smokin?

Hey, you're the one that's delusional enough to think worldofapple.com isn't running a scam
  • Reply 45 of 59
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

This is what I'm hoping for at MacWorld...

1. Updated cheaper Cinema Displays...

\t-Integrated iSights

\t-HDMI

\t-Similar Enclosure

\t-20" $399 23" $599 30" $1299

I would really love that proposed 20" as a companion for my MBP
  • Reply 46 of 59
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

3. iTunes video subscription service

\t-$20 a month

\t-Unlimited TV shows

\t-Discounted movie rentals

No way. Far too cheap. Think $50 per month. $99 per month for all of iTunes content.

Dave
  • Reply 47 of 59
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

No way. Far too cheap. Think $50 per month. $99 per month for all of iTunes content.

Dave

Pricing like that would certainly set the world on fire...I could cancel my Dish subscription *and* Netflix and still not be able to afford that.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Dave

LOL- $50 a month for a TV subscription service? When I can get most (if not all) of the TV shows on the web for FREE?
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Pricing like that would certainly set the world on fire...I could cancel my Dish subscription *and* Netflix and still not be able to afford that.

Remember folks were are talking about Apple and the studios here.

$.99 per song or $9.99 per album to own

$1.99 per television episode or ~$20.00+ for an entire season to own

$9.99 to $14.99 per movie to own

$3.99 per movie rentals

$19.99 per month for unlimited music/music video rentals

$29.99 per month for unlimited music/music videos, 10 television shows seasons, and 3 movie rentals

$49.99 per month for unlimited music/music videos, television shows, and 10 movie rentals

$99.99 per month for the all access pass to the iTunes store (music, audiobooks, music videos, television shows, movies, eBooks, and ringtones).

Expensive? Yes. Unrealistic? No.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:

LOL- $50 a month for a TV subscription service? When I can get most (if not all) of the TV shows on the web for FREE?

Really? How much is your cable bill? Does it include Showtime?
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:

Really? How much is your cable bill? Does it include Showtime?

My cable bill is about $60 with HD channels included (after taxes and all). My netflix is $15. Premium channels never play the movies I want, when I want so I don't have any. Netflix has really been great. I didn't think I'd like it that much at first but they're fast with turnaround IMO. Netflix is also *very* fairly priced.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:

My cable bill is about $60 with HD channels included (after taxes and all). My netflix is $15. Premium channels never play the movies I want, when I want so I don't have any. Netflix has really been great. I didn't think I'd like it that much at first but they're fast with turnaround IMO. Netflix is also *very* fairly priced.

Okay.

If Apple offered unlimited television shows (which includes premium channels like Showtime) that was comparable in resolution/definition to cable and featured on-demand access for everything at anytime, what would they charge?
  • Reply 53 of 59
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Didn't Jobs say early 2009 for iPhone in Asia? This would imply the iPhone would have to get 3G by early '09 as Asian cell networks don't support EDGE.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    What's the intent here? Is it to augment or replace people's cable/satellite service? If it doesn't offer *everything* (all networks/news/etc) then that's really not feasible. Another consideration is the bandwidth necessary to make this work. My subscription includes a lot of HD channels. With my Netflix account I also have the option of watching movies online (and I could easily hook my laptop to my TV via DVI.

The question is loaded. To get more value from $99 a month than what I'm currently spending, I'd have to start doing some math to see how many movies and TV shows I'd have to commit to watch. This is all in addition to a basic cable plan to allow for news and local stuff (or do you think Apple would tackle this as well).

I just think that on top of cable/broadband (and hoping that your provider doesn't monitor the usage and hit you up as a BW hog) that $99 is way too much to charge. I don't care what is *potentially* available for me to see. My eyes and ears can only experience so much in a single month. Also, it's a subscription, so any content is only mine "for the moment". A song I can listen to via subscription is worth considerably less to me than one I can keep persistently.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Hey, you're the one that's delusional enough to think worldofapple.com isn't running a scam

Thats not being delusional. Thats just being very optimistic and confident.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:

What's the intent here? Is it to augment or replace people's cable/satellite service? If it doesn't offer *everything* (all networks/news/etc) then that's really not feasible. Another consideration is the bandwidth necessary to make this work. My subscription includes a lot of HD channels. With my Netflix account I also have the option of watching movies online (and I could easily hook my laptop to my TV via DVI.

The question is loaded. To get more value from $99 a month than what I'm currently spending, I'd have to start doing some math to see how many movies and TV shows I'd have to commit to watch. This is all in addition to a basic cable plan to allow for news and local stuff (or do you think Apple would tackle this as well).

I just think that on top of cable/broadband (and hoping that your provider doesn't monitor the usage and hit you up as a BW hog) that $99 is way too much to charge. I don't care what is *potentially* available for me to see. My eyes and ears can only experience so much in a single month. Also, it's a subscription, so any content is only mine "for the moment". A song I can listen to via subscription is worth considerably less to me than one I can keep persistently.

Why can't the intent be to replace your cable service?

There are a lot of great shows on television but they are all supplemented by a ton of crap. If one could cherry-pick the good shows and toss the crap, wouldn't that be awesome?

Satellite was suppose to bring much needed competition to the consumer market. Have they? In my opinion they have not. There really isn't a price difference between the two. A la carte pricing is only available for premium channels. This industry needs an overhaul.

Dave
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Call me sceptical but I don't see there being a ton of demand for this. Yes, being able to "cherry pick" would be great in some regards. I wouldn't call it awesome though because I don't think there is a wide enough infrastructure to support this. It's a practical issue, not "vision" issue.

I program out the channels I know I won't watch and just have the IMO decent ones left to surf on the remote.

My current plan is about $30 less than the comparable one from Comcast, so yes, I'd say they have brought in competition. Have you actually checked and verified or are you just guessing? I also got my hardware and install completely free so I have no sunk cost there except a minimum subscription term.

Does your proposed $99 subscription come with hardware (aTV or its sucessor) to help view this on your TV? Without that or hacking together some solution that will, then what real value is it? Now, say you've got two TVs in the house and people want to watch different things on them. How does this scale? Am I allowed to even do that without another subscription or do I now need a "family plan". Do I need *two* aTVs (can't see how this would work otherwise)? Will Apple get upset if I'm logging into my iTunes account on to many devices to access my account? Will this service be subject to the 5 machine limit like with purchased songs? What about local programming? How can Apple be expected to manage that? I don't have an OTA antenna on my house and have no intention of installing one.

These aren't attacks, just honest questions. I'm really not convinced anyone would blow $99 a month on this. Maybe I'm too old, I don't know...
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Quote:

Call me sceptical but I don't see there being a ton of demand for this. Yes, being able to "cherry pick" would be great in some regards. I wouldn't call it awesome though because I don't think there is a wide enough infrastructure to support this. It's a practical issue, not "vision" issue.

I program out the channels I know I won't watch and just have the IMO decent ones left to surf on the remote.

My current plan is about $30 less than the comparable one from Comcast, so yes, I'd say they have brought in competition. Have you actually checked and verified or are you just guessing? I also got my hardware and install completely free so I have no sunk cost there except a minimum subscription term.

Does your proposed $99 subscription come with hardware (aTV or its sucessor) to help view this on your TV? Without that or hacking together some solution that will, then what real value is it? Now, say you've got two TVs in the house and people want to watch different things on them. How does this scale? Am I allowed to even do that without another subscription or do I now need a "family plan". Do I need *two* aTVs (can't see how this would work otherwise)? Will Apple get upset if I'm logging into my iTunes account on to many devices to access my account? Will this service be subject to the 5 machine limit like with purchased songs? What about local programming? How can Apple be expected to manage that? I don't have an OTA antenna on my house and have no intention of installing one.

These aren't attacks, just honest questions. I'm really not convinced anyone would blow $99 a month on this. Maybe I'm too old, I don't know...

Yeah. I know you aren't attacking. Just brainstorming.

I do know what you mean. I myself, wouldn't pay $99 for an unlimited iTunes subscription. Who knows maybe in 5 years, the landscape will be different.

Dave

PS - I did look at satellite prices, and they weren't that much cheaper compared to my cable plan. Even if they were, because I get broadband via cable any cost saving would be negated (no other provider in my area). I am stuck with cable....
  • Reply 59 of 59
    Quote:

Yeah. I know you aren't attacking. Just brainstorming.

I'm an analyst by trade so I get paid for this . I go to meetings and hammer people with questions till I get all the requirements I need then start documenting my butt off.

BTW, I know when I had Comcast they discounted my broadband because I had the cable TV service as well. Had I canceled the cable TV they would have jacked my broadband rates back up. I ended up switching to Qwest DSL (maybe not as fast but $20 a month cheaper than broadband from Comcast).