New Mac Pro Is Here!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

it is officila! A week before we though it would come out!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    The new 8-core config is $2,800, and Apple is calling these machines Apple's fastest desktops ever. Standard options:

2GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (256MB)

320GB drive, 16x DVDRW

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, (2) PCI Express 2.0, (2) PCI Express slots

No Blu-ray, as rumored, but it can be configured with plenty of drives (as usual),
  • Reply 2 of 61
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Graphics cards improved, but not by much.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    online store is down, we will see all the cards available quite soon, and that should be the moment to decide whether it is a major improvement and really the new MAC PRO or... not
  • Reply 4 of 61
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by takemura View Post

online store is down, we will see all the cards available quite soon, and that should be the moment to decide whether it is a major improvement and really the new MAC PRO or... not

Go to the Mac tab on the Apple site and you'll see all the options of the new Mac Pro (but no price yet). For those that can't wait:

Graphics and displays

Double-wide, 16-lane PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot with one of the following graphics cards installed:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory and two dual-link DVI ports

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory and two dual-link DVI ports

NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5GB of GDDR3 memory, two dual-link DVI ports, and one stereo 3D port
  • Reply 5 of 61
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    It will be curious to see what the price for the single 2.8 Ghz processor will be. I wonder why this is the only option and one can not order a single processor unit with a 3 or 3.2 Ghz processor?
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

It will be curious to see what the price for the single 2.8 Ghz processor will be. I wonder why this is the only option and one can not order a single processor unit with a 3 or 3.2 Ghz processor?

I've just seen that:

Quote:

8-core: Two 2.8GHz, 3.0GHz, or 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 series processors

Quad-core: One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 series processor

Not enough 3.0/3.2 cpus to offer single and dual configs? Would make the pricing difficult (4 configs in a $500 bracket or so)?

If the dual 2.8 is really $2800 (or $2799) and since the cpu "costs" $797 by the 1,000, it could be anywhere between $1999 (dreaming) and $2299 (more Apple's style).

Other specs:

i5400 chipset, PCIe 2.0 slots x2 + two 4x PCIe, RAM 2x1GB 800MHz FB-DIMMs up to 32GB, 320GB HDD standard, Superdrive standard...

That looks pretty much like one of the line-ups that i've made in one of the xMac thread, expect like you said, there's only one quad config that it certainly above $2000.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    They abandoned SATA RAID 5 for SAS RAID 5.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Put the store up for heavens sakes so I can buy one!
  • Reply 9 of 61
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    This is unbelievable. No case redesign. No new displays. No HDM options at all.

This definitely means something big and consumer-focused is coming at MWSF.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Apple is saving that for the new xMac.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Graphics cards improved, but not by much.

Holy #$%^, you guys are unbelievable.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:

you are still suck with the FB-DIMMS and sever MB.

also 2 dual core are a better choice.

Will be able to add your own cpu or will it be a cut down MB with the 2th slot removed?
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

you are still suck with the FB-DIMMS and sever MB.

What did you expect? It was a sure thing, since the 1st Mac Pro, that Apple will use Intel's WORKSTATION platform, not the DESKTOP one. This is not a gaming machine, it is a workstation, always has been, always will be. This server motherboard is what allows dual processors and 32GB of RAM. Don't spit in the soup! (french saying)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Will be able to add your own cpu or will it be a cut down MB with the 2th slot removed?

What do YOU think?

Clearly the Mac Pro is not what you're looking for. Move on.

I think that this release puts Apple in front again in this segment. For fun, I went to Dell's site and try to configure something like the new standard model. Of course the 1600FSB option is not available (yet), but a Precision dual quad 2.83/1333 with 2GB of RAM costs more than $4,000...

I know that some people would like something different from Apple (I am one of them). Given the technology available today, we could have a desktop Mac with slots and quad-core power well under $2000. Apple choose not to go there (yet?). Moving on.

Next week, we will have other news and new products from Apple. I can't wait to know what THEY will be.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    THE stupid thing is they don't have a single middle range workstation video...that sucks... 2650+ $ for quadro is too much for me, but I’m ready to pay a 1000usd aprox, why can't I, probably should go with the cheapest ATI and then buy the thing I want inside and use it with Vista...

In case I go all the way with Apple, my config fetched about 3,749.00 USD, it means I will be something near 4000 in Japan (where I’m going to buy it) + a 1000$ something for LCD, well its quite much. But possible…
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Holy #$%^, you guys are unbelievable.

You don't get it. Apple still has only 3 cards. You either get stuck with the ATi 2600 or BTO for a $200 bump or a $2850 bump.

nVidia offers more than 2 cards and ATi as well.

Three cards to certify for I/O Kit is embarrassing. We did a dozen back when we were pissant NeXT and had 3 devs doing it.

This is a strategic maneuver. Apple won't release support for more cards until Vista SP1 opens up the market demand for UEFI.

ATi and nVidia are in the drivers seat, until then.

Until UEFI is a reality, I'll wait on buying a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You don't get it. Apple still has only 3 cards. You either get stuck with the ATi 2600 or BTO for a $200 bump or a $2850 bump.

nVidia offers more than 2 cards and ATi as well.

Three cards to certify for I/O Kit is embarrassing. We did a dozen back when we were pissant NeXT and had 3 devs doing it.

This is a strategic maneuver. Apple won't release support for more cards until Vista SP1 opens up the market demand for UEFI.

ATi and nVidia are in the drivers seat, until then.

Until UEFI is a reality, I'll wait on buying a Mac Pro.

I agree. As well for a machine of this caliber, the 3800 series from ATI makes more sense. The 2600 is not a very good card and is in Apples consumer iMac.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Aleluia!
  • Reply 18 of 61
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is unbelievable. No case redesign. No new displays. No HDM options at all.

This definitely means something big and consumer-focused is coming at MWSF.

Apple is making me nervous. Usually they don't really care about CES but they released info on two of their new products during CES? A week before Macworld? Gawd I really hope its because they want to get these two updates out of the way before they make the industry scream with their numerous wonderful products at Macworld.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    I've never posted here before, but read these forums avidly. I've been quietly following these threads for weeks, waiting patiently for the new Mac Pro's to be announced, before making a purchase decision. Today Apple releases the new "Harpertown" high-end Mac Pro's, which is way above what I am waiting for, as I am not a professional. What is the likelihood of the "consumer" level Mac Pro being announced next week with the "Wolfdale" processor that has been mentioned here before?? I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks!
  • Reply 20 of 61
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Apple is saving that for the new xMac.

You're being optimistic, me, I'm not holding my breath.

I believe the mere fact that Apple offers a single cpu model of the Mac Pro pretty much assures no xMac or xMac like model will be introduced, ever.