Leopard Network Problem

iroiro
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I recently upgraded my pc to vista. When i was using xp, my macbook (running leopard) picked up my shared folders on my home network just fine, and several other wireless networks... now despite having the shared folders in vista set up and the network configured... leopard is showing nothing....its as if there's no network there.

the internet runs fine (on the network) but it won't access my shared files.. so there are no network problems, its a software issue either with vista or leopard...

what am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iro View Post

I recently upgraded my pc to vista. ...

Which version?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    iroiro Posts: 10member
    ultimate
  • Reply 3 of 13
    It seems to a configuration issue at your end. One of the common issues with Leopard is that it doesn't remember the workgroup name properly unless you recreate your "location" in network settings. Make sure that Vista and OS X are on the same workgroup. Again, verify that the OS X and Vista firewall programs are configured properly. Software like Norton 360 on Vista block everything. You will need to allow everything for your local network. I use Vista Ultimate 64 bit and OS X has much better interoperability with Vista than XP home edition. Vista refuses to connect to my XP home edition unless I type in the IP address.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

It seems to a configuration issue at your end. One of the common issues with Leopard is that it doesn't remember the workgroup name properly unless you recreate your "location" in network settings. Make sure that Vista and OS X are on the same workgroup. Again, verify that the OS X and Vista firewall programs are configured properly. Software like Norton 360 on Vista block everything. You will need to allow everything for your local network. I use Vista Ultimate 64 bit and OS X has much better interoperability with Vista than XP home edition. Vista refuses to connect to my XP home edition unless I type in the IP address.

talksense101:

It seems that I have the same problem and I was suspecting that I need to adjust "location" in nework setting but I was trying to find more information on line. Could you please elaborate.

I have Leopard, XP, and Vista machine. I had the same problem with XP (not seeing some machines) and it was the "Workgroup". But I did not see the workgroup set up in Leopard.

Another thing that you might be able to help with. In many places on line, I saw that I need to set up the "WINS" tap (under network preference) to connect correctly to windows machine but everytime I tried to set it up and add the ip addresses for the windows machines, apply, close and open again I don't find my changes are still there.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Vista by default disables NTLM support for network auth. You need to re-enable it so everything works fine..

Quote:

You need to go into the Administrative Tools and enter the Local Security Policy section. In that section, you need to change the LAN Manager Authentication Level to 'Send LM & NTLM responses.' If you need full details on the steps involved, see the above-linked post. This change will reduce the security level of your Vista installation, as it downgrades the authentication required for Samba connections -- making it the same as Windows XP.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...70405070132724
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sebaz View Post

Vista by default disables NTLM support for network auth. You need to re-enable it so everything works fine..

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...70405070132724

The link above reads "When I made the change as described, I was able to connect to my Mac from Vista. " This is not my problem. I can see my mac and all shared folders from both my pc machines but I cannot see the windows machines on the mac. Also, I can actually connect to the two pc's using "connect to server" and supplying ip address. I know that this seems to solve my problem for all practical reasons but it does bug me that in all the documentations I have seen and the posts of many Leopard uses it seems that I should be able to see any newtork machine on the network tap in the finder or under "shared" or even by browsing under "connect to server" but all those options are blank on my machine.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    System Preferences > Network > choose your appropriate adapter > Advanced > WINS , set a machine name that is different than any other machine on your network in the NETBIOS field and put the name of your Windows Workgroup in the workgroup box. > OK

Once that is done, make sure that your user account has a password on both machines and that you are using the same username and password on both machines. If you are using a different user name and password there should be an option to "connect as" but I have found that using the same account name and password on all my machines on the home network makes it work smoothly.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Thanks for the tip. Although I tried fidling with that tap to no success but I will try your instructions when I get home tonight. I think I've been trying to enter the pc's IP address there (WINS) but every time I go out and come back I do not see them (is it suppose to be this way?). Plus, it did not make any difference.

I will report back, in the mean time if anybody else have any more ideas I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

System Preferences > Network > choose your appropriate adapter > Advanced > WINS , set a machine name that is different than any other machine on your network in the NETBIOS field and put the name of your Windows Workgroup in the workgroup box. > OK

Once that is done, make sure that your user account has a password on both machines and that you are using the same username and password on both machines. If you are using a different user name and password there should be an option to "connect as" but I have found that using the same account name and password on all my machines on the home network makes it work smoothly.

• Reply 9 of 13
    Yeah, if you are putting in actual IPs its thinking that those are actual WINS servers, which in a real basic comparison are like DNS resolvers for internal networks. You dont want to put IPs there, just the name of the workgroup in its box and the NETBIOS name in its box.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    whysperwhysper Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Ive tried that. I changed that. Made sure both machines had same password. my pc can see my mac but not log in. my mac cant see my pc. ive all but re-images the mac.

they are both set to workgroup

the mac had the routers IP as a WINS server

the Mac has a unique name

at this time both firewalls and antivirus are off on BOTH machines.. but they still cannot talk... any ideas??? PLEASE???
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whysper View Post

Ive tried that. I changed that. Made sure both machines had same password. my pc can see my mac but not log in. my mac cant see my pc. ive all but re-images the mac.

they are both set to workgroup

the mac had the routers IP as a WINS server

the Mac has a unique name

at this time both firewalls and antivirus are off on BOTH machines.. but they still cannot talk... any ideas??? PLEASE???

Your router cannot act as a WINS server like it can a DNS server.

Go to Finder>Go>Connect to Server and type in

smb://ipaddress/sharename

Mac won't be able to see administrative shares so don't type in

smb://ipaddress/c$

Still broke?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

This advice is on the right track but wrong location. Add your Windows PCs to your Mac's Host table

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...stswidget.html

The above tool makes it super duper easy to do this
  • Reply 13 of 13
    iroiro Posts: 10member
    I really don't understand why this isnt written into Leopard, and to Vista for that matter.

How many updates to both OS's have we seen and not one has made this issue resolved for me

I still cannot see My PC files on Leopard having tried all of the above. Even more curiously, one day, it all appeared, and then after a reboot - it was gone.