Apple introduces new Mac Pro topping out at 3.2GHz

Comments

• Reply 121 of 253
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

vc1 (mpeg-4)

VC-1 is not MPEG-4. It's a slightly less complex codec based on WMV3 aka Windows Media Video 9 (for reasons best know to Microsoft). In Advanced-Profile form it's pretty much as good as High-Profile H.264.

The important thing is that both Advanced-Profile VC-1 and High-Profile H.264 kick the crap out of MPEG-2 efficiency wise and Apple support neither the creation nor the play-back of these codecs.
  • Reply 122 of 253
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You should grow up.

To be a cranky old man, who's full of s*it half the time?

Naw.
  • Reply 123 of 253
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

To be a cranky old man, who's full of s*it half the time?

Naw.

Everyone always says you are?all of the time.
  • Reply 124 of 253
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

So people should spend $2850 for the Quadro FX5600 when two Geforce 8800's running SLI would cost less and outperform the single Quadro?

• ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory and two dual-link DVI ports

• NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory and two dual-link DVI ports

• NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5GB of GDDR3 memory, two dual-link DVI ports, and one stereo 3D port

It doesn't work that way. First the Quadro has 3x the RAM as the 8800 and a 0.8Ghz CPU. Secondly, the stereo 3D is in a class of its own. These are for specialized fields. The price listed is very reasonable when you compare to Dell's offering of this same card.

Quote:

Wilco, you're back with the dumb comments again?

Great! Now that you've responded he's going to hang around here all day.
  • Reply 125 of 253
    Quote:

melgross, why do you feed him?

Ignore him and move on. Please.
  • Reply 126 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory and two dual-link DVI ports

? NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory and two dual-link DVI ports

? NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5GB of GDDR3 memory, two dual-link DVI ports, and one stereo 3D port

It doesn't work that way. First the Quadro has 3x the RAM as the 8800 and a 0.8Ghz CPU. Secondly, the stereo 3D is in a class of its own. These are for specialized fields. The price used to be more than reasonable as Dell offering for the 5600 was substantially more than Apple's.

Great! Now that you've responded he's going to hang around here all day.

Sorry, you're right.
  • Reply 127 of 253
    Anyone got any ideas on why there is a 3 - 5 week shipping delay?

Intel claims to have shipped almost of million of these xeons already and I would have thought that Apple would have these systems manufactured and stockpiled for this announcement.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 128 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

melgross, why do you feed him?

Ignore him and move on. Please.

Yeah, you're right too.

I'm tired today, he just rubbed me the wrong way.
  • Reply 129 of 253
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

It is quite presumptuous of you to speak for everyone.

I think it is OK for this forum to contain different types

of observations, including your thousands of references

to your glory days as well as wilco's reaction to them.
  • Reply 130 of 253
    Quote:

Intel claims to have shipped almost of million of these xeons already and I would have thought that Apple would have these systems manufactured and stockpiled for this announcement.

Thoughts?

Good question. I think that there has been talk that Intel moved these chips to the end of the month.
  • Reply 131 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It is quite presumptuous of you to speak for everyone.

I think it is OK for this forum to contain different types

of observations, including your thousands of references

to your glory days as well as wilco's reaction to them.

Find one positive comment about Wilco's jibes.

I use references to my past careers to give some info on topics I'm familiar with.
  • Reply 132 of 253
    Quote:

Thoughts?

It's because of the 8800 GT card. Select something else and you'll be back down to a week or less. That got me too.
  • Reply 133 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Absolutely awesome, but I'll wait for NAB to see if Blu-ray and a new version of DVD Studio Pro shows up.

Could be that the 'new AppleTV' will include built-in authoring/BD burner to facilitate HD movie purchases.
  • Reply 134 of 253
    Quote:

Dude...ignore him. This isn't Usenet fer crissake.
  • Reply 135 of 253
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Find one positive comment about Wilco's jibes.

I use references to my past careers to give some info on topics I'm familiar with.

Rather than expend time searching past posts, I will make a positive comment

now myself: Anyone who deflates someone with delusions of omniscience is

OK in my book. Besides, are only popular posts allowed here?

Regarding your nostalgia, you ought to check yourself for a little

self-aggrandizement.
  • Reply 136 of 253
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

BD has mostly been using MPEG-2.

I've seen a decent mix, maybe 40% MPEG-2 , 40% AVC & 20% VC-1. Maybe I've watched fifty BDs through Netflix over the past seven months.

Quote:

That is my entire collection cept for 3:10 to yuma which hasn't shipped yet and is most definitely mpeg4. I have only seen the very early blu-ray be mpeg2 which was when hd-dvd was kicking it's ass in PQ.

MPEG-2 isn't bad though, it just takes a higher bit rate. Even at equivalent bitrates used in HD movie discs, it's not that easy to pick out the differences. It's just a smear campaign that tries to say that it's not any good. The problem with some of the earlier ones was a bad transfer. The codec can't fix up a bad source. For all the movies I've watched, MPEG-2 BDs have been as good as those made using AVC and VC-1. I can't even guess the codec right before looking, all three do a very good job.

Quote:

Point being... apple needs a blu-ray player........ sooner than later.

I would like one. I don't want to have to fire up my projector for every movie.
  • Reply 137 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmoeskau View Post

It's because of the 8800 GT card. Select something else and you'll be back down to a week or less. That got me too.

Interesting, I guess there is a hold-up on getting these cards out the door?

Quote:

self-aggrandizement.

I have no problem with someone challenging another person's opinions, but it is a waste of time to respond to personal attacks that do not dispute any facts.

If Wilco and Melgross want to insult each ad nauseum, they can do so in their own thread or via PMs, iChat or whatever.

If Wilco wants to contribute something useful to this thread I would welcome it, whether or not it agrees with points made by melgross. However, so far I have only seen personal attacks; hence, my request that we not feed this any more.
  • Reply 137 of 253
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

One configuration for CPUs. IE 1 out of 4 configurations is only single CPU vs dual CPU. IE quad vs octo.

So why would they change the motherboard for 1 of the 4 CPU configurations? Seems like a waste. Why not just not put one of the CPUs in?

It can be the same board but don't solder in the second socket. I hope not, I hope it has a socket. A quad would do me fine, and two or three years from now, I can buy a second CPU.
  • Reply 139 of 253
    Quote:

self-aggrandizement.

You seem to have a bit of difficulty with yourself. Don't be bitter. I'm not responsible for your problems.
  • Reply 140 of 253
    Quote:

If Wilco wants to contribute something useful to this thread I would welcome it, whether or not it agrees with points made by melgross. However, so far I have only seen personal attacks; hence, my request that we not feed this any more.

Oh no, you're right. I don't really want to respond to him, and now to Quinney, it seems.

But, some people come here and just sideswipe you without contributing anything of their own to the discussion. It's really very annoying.