Poll: New Mac Pros at MWSF 08?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I wrote in another thread that I am also waiting for 8 days to see if there will be new ACDs. Seven days until the keynote and then the supposed surprise at the Final Cut meeting the day after.

But I am definitely buying a new Mac Pro before the end of the next week.

Didn't get everything I wanted, but it is a significant enough upgrade to make buying a used or refurbed box out of the question for me.

Waiting, Waiting. Waiting.

Good plan. I've already configured the system I'm getting, but it's a 5 week wait on shipment. SUX 4 ME!
  • Reply 62 of 86
    It's going to be an interesting MacWorld. Apple's already announced several big hardware upgrades, so maybe Ireland gets his wish (or something like it) this year!

Woo-hoo!
  • Reply 63 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Good plan. I've already configured the system I'm getting, but it's a 5 week wait on shipment. SUX 4 ME!

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. I posted about it in the Current Hardware thread on this topic and someone said that it was the 8800 that was the hold-up. He said if you choose the ATI card it ships in a day-or-two.

I'm now thinking about ordering the Mac Pro today with 8800, knowing that I will have the wait and then ordering the display separately if Apple rolls out some new ones at MWSF.

If not, then I guess I will stick with my two Formac 2010's until there is something in a 30-incher that I just have to have.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    Well, onlooker, I did it. i ordered one with the 8800. Wont ship until Feb according to Apple, but I'm hoping for an earlier date. If they come out with new ACDs next week then I will just order them separately, it's all free shipping anyway.

Cheers.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I just want to add that I was one of the 4 people who voted "no" on this poll. Once in a while it feels good to be right .
  • Reply 66 of 86
    I think that no was for no update at all the update we got was a pre MWSF update and counts as being done in time for the show.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

I think that no was for no update at all the update we got was a pre MWSF update and counts as being done in time for the show.

"What is the probability of a new Mac Pro at MWSF?"

I respectfully disagree.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

This is a good update. Just wished Apple would open their hands and give 4 gig standard RAM amd at least 500gig HD. For a Pro machine is not asking too much.

Why do you want to pay Apple's prices for memory and disk?
  • Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Exactly. The poll was dated specific but I still consider any updates within the week of MWSF to be MWSF updates. I just can't wait to see what's happening in the keynote.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Just curious, what config did you come up with?
  • Reply 71 of 86
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I just can't wait to see what's happening in the keynote.

Portables but no Macbook-related... What else, speaking of computers?
  • Reply 72 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Just curious, what config did you come up with?

3.2 and 8800 GT. Everything else standard. I found all my other stuff, RAM, HD's, Cinema Display, elsewhere.

Going with 8GB's of RAM and 2TB of drive. For now.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    I can not believe idiots are voting "no" after the fact. As if....
  • Reply 74 of 86
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

… 8800 GT…

What? No QuadroFX…?!?

Quote:

…2TB of drive…

I have a Mac Pro server (on software maint., still at v10.4.x; waiting for v10.5.2 to upgrade) at work with four 500GB HDDs & the Apple RAID card. Apple dropped the cost with this new release; still pricey at US$800, but works fine for me. I also take comfort in having a single-source RAID solution.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    Quote:

3.2 and 8800 GT. Everything else standard. I found all my other stuff, RAM, HD's, Cinema Display, elsewhere.

I ordered the dual 2.8 with the 8800 GT. I will order at least 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB HD from OWC when I get the email from Apple that they have shipped my MP. Hopefully RAM will have fallen a bit more by then and HDs seem to be falling in price too.

Delivery status widget says 41 days until delivered. Damn.

If there is a new ACD announced at MWSF I will order it. If not I will stick with my formacs until they update the ACDs.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

If there is a new ACD announced at MWSF I will order it. If not I will stick with my formacs until they update the ACDs.

I would think that if they update them, it will be someplace like NAB, or with a case redesign.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's going to be an interesting MacWorld. Apple's already announced several big hardware upgrades, so maybe Ireland gets his wish (or something like it) this year!

Woo-hoo!

Ireland predicts an iPhone capacity upgrade.. you won't be seeing any more of him if he's wrong

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TripleCore View Post

I would think that if they update them, it will be someplace like NAB, or with a case redesign.

Unfortunately that seems pretty realistic. I really hope they upgrade them at MWSF, though.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:

2.8. GT. 8 Gigs. Maybe x2 500 HDs.

I'll get all the ram/hd/display from elsewhere...

I could be buying that. I'm seriously thinking of doing so.

Onlooker, why pay the premium for the 3.2 when benches show it's nominal over the 3 or 2.8? The geekbench scores put the new 2.8 penryn ahead of the old 3 gigger...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Either that or at WWDC.

I do not believe Apple will update displays at MWSF. That will make insanely mad everybody that are buying MacPro workstations this week with displays.

I just wish Apple dropped at least $300 on the price of the 30" and $200 on the 23" and 20".
  • Reply 80 of 86
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Either that or at WWDC.

I do not believe Apple will update displays at MWSF. That will make insanely mad everybody that are buying MacPro workstations this week with displays.

I just wish Apple dropped at least $300 on the price of the 30" and $200 on the 23" and 20".