mac related "i am legend" question

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I don't know who's seen the movie, but did anybody happen to notice the incredibly small and wireless iSight camera that Will Smith used in his lab? I am realistic and I know it was just a movie but I was wondering if anything like that currently exists on the market, or if there is any speculation about one appearing in the future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    i thought the computer looked like a chinless iMac, though maybe it was an apple monitor connected to a mac pro.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    it was an apple monitor. as for the mic ive seen those in a few movies not sure where youd get one.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    aidanpaidanp Posts: 45member
    im talking about the micro sized little iSight camera that he had clipped to his glasses.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    consider how small the iSight cams in the MBP bezels are. seems very possible such a small cam could be built.

that said, it's a movie, so there's no reason to assume that you can buy one. eg: you still can't buy flying cars and interstellar transports. at least not on this planet.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    or maybe its not even a working camera
  • Reply 6 of 12
    The camera looks very similar to the camera Bono uses on his glasses in the DVD - "U2 - Live in Slane Castle". So you could probably buy one if you really wanted.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    That camera was pretty cool, but after seeing how badass six redundant Lacie drives look like stacked on top of one another, I have found my external storage solution!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aidanp View Post

Hey guys,

I don't know who's seen the movie, but did anybody happen to notice the incredibly small and wireless iSight camera that Will Smith used in his lab? I am realistic and I know it was just a movie but I was wondering if anything like that currently exists on the market, or if there is any speculation about one appearing in the future.

I'm interested in the camera, too. The original iSight camera was discontinued about 15 months ago; no replacement for Mac Pro users. There was a camera several years back ('98 or so) which was attached to eyeglasses from Alain Mikli, a high-end French eyewear company. It's the same company which did Bono's glasses. You can Google 'miklivision' for more details; I don't think they're available anymore. But it would be great if Apple would introduce such a snap-on wireless camera!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    There were a couple of Mac Pro's scatted around his lab - I think there was one right above his head when he was

<spoiler>

killing the dog.

Not nearly as many that appeared in The Island though!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Found the camera! : it turns out it's a 'lipstick camera' from a company called JonesCAM, but it's not really wireless, just faked for the movie (Price: $1995. Yes, that's $2K.).

There are plans to release a Bluetooth version. Here's a press release: http://www.pr-inside.com/will-smith-...am-r371654.htm. And here's a page with an international trailer which has a 2-second shot of the camera being used (clipped to Will Smith's glasses in his basement lab in the "I Am Legend" film) : http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/10/23/...movie-trailer/.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    clutchclutch Posts: 1member
    aidanp;

My company is manufacturing a pair of glasses that have a built in cam in them

Colour: 1/4" cmos

Pix 1.3M

Sensor 300k

Frame 300Fps

Lux .5

Def 420TV lines

Record time 2-3h

It works with mac and (the dark side)

it is a pair of glasses wiht a camera in the bridge, so not that noticable,

as well as built in stereo headphones, so you can play your MP3/MP4 on it.

The recording unit looks like a Ipod it has 1GM built in but you can use up to a 4GB SD card.

the glases plugs into this unit, and you can drag and drop the files to your Desk top for editing..

Because it 420TV lines and not 480TVlines like the Jones cam, Large TV screen viewing is not recomended. BUt perfect for PC and under 27" screens.

Price is also reflective of that, we retail them for $350.00 Canadian

We just finished the testing on this production line,so I'll have vid samples and pictures up soon.

cheers Craig
  • Reply 12 of 12
    i did some research and i found the cam http://www.jonescam.tv/products/lx/