has anyone seen this picture "mac nano"?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://micmac.maddsites.com/macnano.jpg

this one seems pretty plastic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iChina View Post

http://micmac.maddsites.com/macnano.jpg

this one seems pretty plastic.

I'm confused about this mockup... it's really great and looks nearly perfect. Great design, realistic looking, love the improvements over the MacBook.

But why is the reflection covering the non-reflective part of the screen bezel? It's so obvious a mistake and it would have been completely unintuitive to make such a mistake, almost like you had to make the mistake on purpose.

Could this be the real design deliberately made to look like a fake?
  • Reply 2 of 58
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    And why is the image gone.....
  • Reply 3 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

And why is the image gone.....

No, the host just doesn't allow hotlinking.

I've copied to my iDisk, so here it is:

• Reply 4 of 58
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    You know, I wouldn't doubt if that was real. I mean Apple never pulled the new keyboard that was on AppleInsider right?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    This did not need an entire new thread, but, accepting that this is a very special and unique time of year, we might be able to overlook that. Enjoy the insanity!

Yep, this photo was linked to a few days ago by MacRumors:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/05/...oncept-images/

They link to the original post on ther site:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=520

Not a bad mock-up, and yes, with a minor blemish, but very nice overall. I like the smooth edges; one think I don't like about the MBP is the sharpness of it all, especially, repeat, especially, the trackpad and button. The MacBook is so much better in this area, and this mockup draws on the good.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    What is it good for anyway? I mean the large wide rectangular space for a touchpad.

It's not like you have a 16:1 screen... Doesn't look at all usable to me.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

What is it good for anyway? I mean the large wide rectangular space for a touchpad.

I have been itching to buy one of these...

Asus Eee PC 701 Their website is a little slow, maybe because it is a very hot item.

Specs: 7" LCD Display / 1024MB|512MB / 2GB|4GB|8GB flash drive / 802.11b,g / Webcam / Linux-OS / Durable, shock-proof solid-state / 2lbs / Over 40 built-in applications

Review on Laptop web site.

Reason? It's cheap ($299 start) and very portable. I would hook this up with my digital camera and use it as a editor and web uploader for the images. Yeah, the screen is small (they will be coming out with a 10" soon) but I need an affordable mini-laptop.

I'll wait and see if Apple will come out with one. But price/features would be the only factor in buying theirs.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

I believe the idea/hope/rumor is that a larger trackpad is going to be multi-touch enabled. The bigger area will then make it easier to do stuff like enlarge/shrink windows and stuff via multi-touch. (like the iPhone)
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I have been itching to buy one of these...

Note: model not included.

That computer does look sweet.

Come on, Apple...
  • Reply 10 of 58
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Note: model not included.

That computer does look sweet.

Come on, Apple...

The Eee PC is sweet, and it's also darn close to "impulse buy" territory.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

The Eee PC is sweet, and it's also darn close to "impulse buy" territory.

Oh how very true, Apple could learn about impulse buys.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Yup. I bought a Nokia Internet Tablet to tide me over until Apple releases something.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    lifinolifino Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But why is the reflection covering the non-reflective part of the screen bezel? It's so obvious a mistake and it would have been completely unintuitive to make such a mistake, almost like you had to make the mistake on purpose.

Okay, I read what you said and went back to look at the image again. I'm not convinced that this is a mistake at all. I'd say that there is a reflection ON TOP of the bezel because the glossy glass (confirming one of the rumors) extends beyond the LCD screen. I say this while sitting in front of my Aluminum iMac and this is how it is on my computer, so it's not like I'm a government photo analyst or anything... Just using common sense and continuing some of the design language that has already been developed and delivered in commercial product. To continue: (yes mid-paragraph) I'd even say that I can see where the glare on the glossy screen stops just a fraction of an inch before reaching the edge of the frame, again just like on the Alum. iMac there is a rim around the glass.

A few things that I feel are strange about the image:

1) if you look in the dead area above and to the right of the laptop, the upper right quarter of the image, there seems to be a ghost image of a cabinet, much like the one in the upper left of the image... Could be that the gray area is a reflective lacquered surface, or another glitch in the image to make the Mac geeks geek out.

2) Just to the left of the laptop is a Keyboard. Don't know the make/model. Just seems like an odd place to have a keyboard laying...

3) This has nothing to do with the image and more to do with the product: I am very surprised that the touch-pad (or whatever trademarked name Apple will have for it) is just a touch pad. Why not make it another interactive surface? It SHOULD be that size, and it SHOULD have an LCD behind it just like if an iPhone were imbedded in the darned thing.

4) There seem to be a few 'leaked' images of this thing floating around. I'm not convinced that this is the real deal, but with so much imagery of it, why aren't there any images of the outside of the chassis? What does it look like closed?

That's my 2 cents, can you pick up the rest of the tab?
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Yup. I bought a Nokia Internet Tablet to tide me over until Apple releases something.

I bought a Palm for the same purpose.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lifino View Post

Okay, I read what you said and went back to look at the image again. I'm not convinced that this is a mistake at all. I'd say that there is a reflection ON TOP of the bezel because the glossy glass (confirming one of the rumors) extends beyond the LCD screen.

How on earth would they attach the glass to the bezel?

Quote:

I say this while sitting in front of my Aluminum iMac and this is how it is on my computer, so it's not like I'm a government photo analyst or anything... Just using common sense and continuing some of the design language that has already been developed and delivered in commercial product. To continue: (yes mid-paragraph) I'd even say that I can see where the glare on the glossy screen stops just a fraction of an inch before reaching the edge of the frame, again just like on the Alum. iMac there is a rim around the glass.

But with the iMac, you have the screen attached with magnets. I don't think this would be possible with a laptop, because of the close proximity to the laptop's components when the laptop is closed. Perhaps because it has SSHD and no magnetic hard drive it's not as sensitive, but I'd still doubt Apple would do it this way.

Quote:

A few things that I feel are strange about the image:

1) if you look in the dead area above and to the right of the laptop, the upper right quarter of the image, there seems to be a ghost image of a cabinet, much like the one in the upper left of the image... Could be that the gray area is a reflective lacquered surface, or another glitch in the image to make the Mac geeks geek out.

It definitely looks like a black lacquered surface, though that doesn't look like it would seem in place in a bedroom... unless it's some kind of studio apartment with an ugly counter-type thing between the bed and kitchen area.

Quote:

2) Just to the left of the laptop is a Keyboard. Don't know the make/model. Just seems like an odd place to have a keyboard laying...

It's a Logitech S530. It's a cordless keyboard specifically for Mac, which makes a little more sense in this context.

Quote:

3) This has nothing to do with the image and more to do with the product: I am very surprised that the touch-pad (or whatever trademarked name Apple will have for it) is just a touch pad. Why not make it another interactive surface? It SHOULD be that size, and it SHOULD have an LCD behind it just like if an iPhone were imbedded in the darned thing.

That would totally be cost prohibitive unless it were the standard size and shape of an existing touch display. However, I could see the possibility of adding custom overlays, which would make it more than "just a touch pad", though certainly not interactive.

Quote:

4) There seem to be a few 'leaked' images of this thing floating around. I'm not convinced that this is the real deal, but with so much imagery of it, why aren't there any images of the outside of the chassis? What does it look like closed?

Haven't seen any of the other images, and I would be interested in seeing more.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    For a Photshopped mock up of a possible product, it is pretty good. In fact, I have not sen any others that I like better. So, I don't know what all the fuss is about. When people start posting tons of mockups that are well-done, then we can engage in a discussion of design and artistic talent. For now, let's enjoy the dreaming and insanity of the moment.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How on earth would they attach the glass to the bezel?

But with the iMac, you have the screen attached with magnets. I don't think this would be possible with a laptop, because of the close proximity to the laptop's components when the laptop is closed. Perhaps because it has SSHD and no magnetic hard drive it's not as sensitive, but I'd still doubt Apple would do it this way.

It definitely looks like a black lacquered surface, though that doesn't look like it would seem in place in a bedroom... unless it's some kind of studio apartment with an ugly counter-type thing between the bed and kitchen area.

they could simply use adhesive. silkscreen the computer name on the bac. paint a silver/white stripe around the edges of the screen. and then apply adhesive on top of that and stick it to the bezel.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    lifinolifino Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

they could simply use adhesive. silkscreen the computer name on the bac. paint a silver/white stripe around the edges of the screen. and then apply adhesive on top of that and stick it to the bezel.

I was going to say bubble-gum... But you guys obviously know more than I do about these things.

Tonton, thanks for the breakdown - you did a good job of answering/addressing all of my thoughts.

Yes, I understand the cost of the touch-screen ala iPhone, but that doesn't mean I can't say that is what Apple SHOULD use. \ Yes, I'm obstinate.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Oh how very true, Apple could learn about impulse buys.

True. No one buys iPods on impulse.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You know, I wouldn't doubt if that was real. I mean Apple never pulled the new keyboard that was on AppleInsider right?

They are the exact same keys on my new Apple Keyboard low profile minus the aluminum casing.