2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Look again:

http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/specs.html

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were looking at the RAID unit. I thought you were referring to the server.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In the old days they were.

This is Apple's way of saying look for some big announcements at the show. I'm sure there will be plenty of software updates before the show.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Very nice server both on specifications and price. I wished that their ram upgrades were cheaper. It's crazy to order 32GB of ram on this thing: 9100 dollars!!!

It is weird in a sense that 2GB/stick memory is the most cost effective way to install FB-DIMM memory. That means, in a 32GB server, it is better to use a motherboard with 16 memory slots. At the current pricing, DDR2-800 memory is not commodity yet. So the ideal way to get memory is to order 1333FSB Harpertown(such as E5410/E5420/L5410) and get 16*2GB DDR2-667 FB-DIMMs(or 8x2GB in the case of the xserve) from ewiz for 72 dollars a pop.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=D2-...ebbbeacb355c11

Basically you throw out the DDR2-800 memory on this server, and install 16GB of 2GB sticks in the Xserve, I am sure you will void the warranty. But hey, at least you get the ram for $560 dollars shipped.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In the old days they were.

No, they were updated later in January.

(unless you mean the really old days)
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

This is Apple's way of saying look for some big announcements at the show. I'm sure there will be plenty of software updates before the show.

That's what I'm thinking as well.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

No, they were updated later in January.

(unless you mean the really old days)

It's relative.

In the days before Jobs came back, Macworld Boston was a big show for Pro's as well as for consumers. The ADC was a small unpublicised event.

Even after he came back, for a few years, this continued.