Apple calls new Mac Pro the "Early 2008" model?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's support docs like this one reference the just-release Mac Pro as "Early 2008" instead of just "2008". This would imply that another update is planned for the year. I'm only making note of this because the last update took 1.5 years... so is the "Early 2008" name a clue that today's update was just a relatively small refresh and there's a Nehalem overhaul looming?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yikes600 View Post

Apple's support docs like this one reference the just-release Mac Pro as "Early 2008" instead of just "2008". This would imply that another update is planned for the year. I'm only making note of this because the last update took 1.5 years... so is the "Early 2008" name a clue that today's update was just a relatively small refresh and there's a Nehalem overhaul looming?

I think that is typical reference if Apple releases something before summer. They might release another, look to Intel for guidance. If there is a chip for Apple to use in a new Mac Pro look for the computer to follow the chip by about a month or two.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I think it's just an easy way of knowing which machine they are talking about and keeps their options open.

Cars often come in a yearly model: 2006, 2007... Computers sometimes are updated more often, so the need to differentiate the models but keep the same name.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    It's definitely a possibility, but the next model may be referred to as the 'mid 2009' model. You just never know.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    there may be later speed bumps and video card bumps.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Not unusual, and definitely not a pointer to a new model soon.

I used to work for Apple, and each Model that comes out has to have an 'internal' product name, and Early XXXX or Mid XXXX or Late XXXX are not uncommon at all. They just demote when the revision was. This model name is then used on the internal website and repair manuals on pdf etc

You get things like 'iBook Late 2001', 'Powermac G5 Early 2005', right through to 'Mirror Drive Door MDD G4', 'Flat Panel iMac Early 2004' etc.