iLife 08 is it worth

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade to iLife '08. I read the reviews on Apple's website and it doesn't look good. But then there were a lot of reviews that said that it was great and works awesome. I'm using iWeb to publish a website for me and my wife and also to display my photography. I like the new features with iWeb like the web 2.0 options new templates. iPhoto is pretty cool too. I use Aperture more than iPhoto but i do use it for all my family photos. i'm not sure i'M having an iTrouble iDeciding on what i should iDo.

Does anyone out there use iWeb '08. If so do you like it. Does it stick big time? Or is it amazing?

THANKS!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I use iWeb '08 and I like it because it's so easy to use. One new feature I like is that you can easily add Google Adsense ads to any website. Before using iWeb, I programmed my own regular websites with HTML and used Blogger for my blogs. I definitely prefer iWeb over Blogger.

For me, the real treat in iLife '08 is iPhoto. I'm writing an ebook/course book on iPhoto '08 and it's taking much longer than I thought it would because the program has so many excellent new features. I particularly like the new organization by Events. I also like the extended editing options. If you use Aperture, you might not be that impressed with the new iPhoto, but I think it's great for quick and easy editing and management of photos.

Claire
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Thanks, I'll try it out. Post something when your book comes out.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Opposed to trying to convince you directly, I'll tell you my experience with the upgrade. Understand, however, that I paid a mere $40 for the upgrade due to my school's special vending license. With a price like that, it's hard to say no.

I bought iLife '08 a month or two ago, and I would definitely say it's worth the money. I regularly use iWeb and Garageband with a little iPhoto on the side. I have yet to dabble with the new iMovie, as I'm greatly discouraged by the number of posts/articles I've read that tear it apart. Good news is the old iMovie is still offered (automatically stores the old version in another folder), if you hadn't read about that.

I don't know how I would function with the old version of iWeb after using the new one. The biggest plus for me is the added HTML-snippet widget. This allows you to incorporate html code directly into your iWeb site without having to edit the already published pages in a text editor. I don't have a .Mac account, so a lot of features are disabled/not allowed when published to a third-party site. With the HTML-snippets I added things such as a stat counter, comments, and more. If you're interested, you can check out my site listed below. I'm new to web-design, and I'd like to think my site is functional and somewhat pleasing I'm a fan of the new iWeb, that's for sure.

In regards to iPhoto, I like the update. I think the aesthetics are greatly improved, which is always a good thing. The organization of photos and albums is a lot better, in my opinion. The only drawback is that the library is not accessible in Finder like it used to be. If you drag and drop all the time with compatible Mac Enapps, this will be of no concern. The library is contained in one file so to speak (see picture). It's irritating when you want to upload a picture to a site, and you can't navigate to it in Finder (I could be wrong). It's nothing terrible, just an inconvenience.

This is a screenshot from Finder -->

Garageband also seems to have improved aesthetics. There are a lot of little features that make it significantly better than the older version. I didn't use GarageBand as much until I got the new version, so I can't really point out many specifics.

Enough of my rambling... If I can be of assistance any more, just let me know. I'd be happy to help
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

It's irritating when you want to upload a picture to a site, and you can't navigate to it in Finder (I could be wrong). It's nothing terrible, just an inconvenience.

That's not true. You can access photos inside your iPhoto library when uploading to say ImageShack or Photobucket. Look under "MEDIA" in the sidebar. You'll see Photos, Music, and Movies there. It's kind of a hidden feature, mostly because if your Finder window is too small you have to scroll down in the sidebar to see this section. That and this feature isn't accessible in a normal Finder window (when you're not uploading a file).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Thanks for all your help guys. I'm vacationing in Hawaii right now. They have a great Apple Store in the Ala Moana Center. (Check it out if you come to Honolulu) I just purchased iLife '08 there. Can't wait to install it once I get back home. I appreciate your help.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Your site is great. I like all the Wii stuff too. I have a Wii too. My wife often steals it to play Super Paper Mario (great game). I'll have to try some of your tricks with the Wii-mote too. Thanks,

Consider yourself bookmarked...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I got iLife 08 an made a new web page, check it out here

web.mac.com/anthony.martinez
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

Your site is great. I like all the Wii stuff too. I have a Wii too. My wife often steals it to play Super Paper Mario (great game). I'll have to try some of your tricks with the Wii-mote too. Thanks,

Consider yourself bookmarked...

I did find out how to browse your photos in Finder...

(right-click-->Show Package Contents)

On a side note: glad you found some of the stuff on my site interesting. It's always encouraging to hear that sort of stuff

Perhaps I'll have a little more motivation to develop the Wii section of my site. Ha ha, I'm also a fan of Paper Mario (beat it... though I had to use a guide for a helpful hint). I just beat Mario Galaxy last night. Perhaps you should check it out if you haven't...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Just as a caution - by opening up the iPhoto library like that, you open it up to getting hosed. DO NOT change anything in there. Do not move, delete, alter, or otherwise save any file you find in there unless you know *exactly* what you are doing. There's a reason it's a closed bundle now. Much safer to use a Media Browser panel whenever possible.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Just as a caution - by opening up the iPhoto library like that, you open it up to getting hosed. DO NOT change anything in there. Do not move, delete, alter, or otherwise save any file you find in there unless you know *exactly* what you are doing. There's a reason it's a closed bundle now. Much safer to use a Media Browser panel whenever possible.

Thanks for the heads up
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Well, it's not completely essential yet. A lot of the apps received just sort of minor updates while a couple - iMovie and GarageBand - were the only that received major overhauls as far as I can tell.

But it's only 70 bucks! Why would you not upgrade?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xTxRxAxVxIxSx View Post

Well, it's not completely essential yet. A lot of the apps received just sort of minor updates while a couple - iMovie and GarageBand - were the only that received major overhauls as far as I can tell.

But it's only 70 bucks! Why would you not upgrade?

Just for "shats and giggles" I watched the iLife 08 Welcome Tour. I must admit I do like some of the editing functionality iPhoto 08. The only thing that has me holding off a bit is I want to wait until I get a DSLR before I jump in whole hog.

Frankly I haven't touched iWeb on my 'puter but I just may do it with my iLife upgrade because at that time I'll join .mac as well.

GarageBand is another app I want to dabble more in but I need a little USB Midi Keyboard and some better speakers.

I hear iDVD has some solid upgrades as well that were not highlighted at all.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I would really like to use iPhoto for editing, managing etc, but why, WHY does it have to do a full import and take up 9gb of my hard drive even when I tell it not to copy photos over? That is insane.

As much as I hate to say it, I think MS has a better handle on it with the MS Image Viewer where I can just go into a directory, open a picture and scroll to the next one without having to select them all and hit open etc. Dont get me wrong, I hate MS as much as the next person but working with image files in MS seemed so much easier. I already have my pictures organized in folders by event then date etc, iPhoto breaks all this and with over 40GB of pictures and hundreds of folders I really dont want to have to reorganize to fit an applications needs... the application should be serving mine