Apple to standardize iTunes music prices across Europe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel View Post

You think the UK is the only expensive place in Europe? You've probably not even looked beyond your own backyard.

no i did not sat that did I. I know full well that scandinavia and brussels are exceptionally expensive, but they are small countries in comparison. UK is more expensive than the majority of europe/world.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    The UK uses the Pound Sterling, Sweden uses the Kronor, Italy, France and Germany use the Euro, are CDs price exactly the same in all of these places? The UK has the strongest currency in the world right now, the Dollar is at an all time low, I'm not sure how this all works but I doubt Apple is the problem here.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

So Hitler must have been such a unimportant thing for you then... your grandad probably didn't care about it either I suppose.

The relationship between the EU and Hitler is that a lot of English people died so they could have democracy instead of being dictated to by Hitler, and now they are dictated to by the unelected EU.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

UK is more expensive than the majority of [the] world.

And so is the rest of Western Europe. So what?
  • Reply 25 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

If this is also the end of their investigations into the record labels' practices, then this is very disappointing.

The problem wasn't just with price (and actually, with the recent strengthening of the Euro, the price disparity isn't that great any more - just a few pence), but the fact that there is no pan-european iTunes store (or any other download store). Europe is meant to be a single market, but with the music business it clearly is not.

This EU thing has never really worked out the way they hoped it would. National interests are still too strongly desired, demanded, and enforced. The EU commissions are weak. Often they are ignored. The bigger countries do this with impunity constantly.

The WSJ had a small article today about why the suit went nowhere. In it was said:

Quote:

None of the companies are expected to be fined, as the commission, the Europeans Union's executive arm, couldn't build a case against the companies under its cartel legislation, these people said.

• Reply 26 of 51
    Come on everyone !

The history of European political economy: different forum, please.

Being a UK resident, I am happy to see prices go down, as any consumer would be. Nice precedent. I still at times tease myself with the idea of what one pays for a mac over here and what one pays in the US.

Now, eyes on the Macworld. I hope Santa Jobs brings us something nice.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

So the EU was created to stop the rise of Hitler-like leaders within its borders?

It had nothing to do with economics?

Or consolidating a global political presence?

You can argue that the EU was an important step and a universal good, but to assume that the only people who would debate the decision are idiots or fascists is kinda lame.

One of the major reasons for its creation was to bring Germany within a common framework, and to prevent more French German wars, which would then bring everyone else into the conflict.

Count how many times Germany and France fought throughout both the 19th and 20th centuries.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel View Post

And so is the rest of Western Europe. So what?

Your right, it has nothing much to do with the rest of the WORLD in regards to the topic of conversation. I mentioned 'World' as a mere side note. But if you had quoted me properly (without alteration), and read through the preceding posts the point of me mentioning that 'UK is more expensive than the majority of EUROPE" is fairly obvious.

It was in reply to you saying "You think the UK is the only expensive place in Europe?" which I never said nor think. But I do KNOW the UK is more expensive to live in than the VAST majority of Europe.

And i know that it would annoy me as the owner of a record label.

I also know that it is detrimental to british business.

But I also know it's great for consumers (in the short term, until consumers run out of money because the company they work for cant set it's own prices to reflect the cost of living of the country it resides in).

However I'm sure spain will do fine from all this.

Now can we just leave this topic alone.

PS: i win
  • Reply 29 of 51
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    The UK is the third most expensive country in the World to live in.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...rc=rss&feed=11

Basically, we Brits are a bunch of sheep and think that we are great then we get shafted financially by everyone.

Music, movies, cars, even food!!
  • Reply 30 of 51
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Basically, we Brits are a bunch of sheep and think that we are great then we get shafted financially by everyone.

Haha exactly right.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yeah, but by and large we're also some of the most highly paid people in the world, so it all kind of balances out :-)
  • Reply 32 of 51
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

As someone who once owned a record label in the UK, and knowing how damned expensive it is to live here, I would be pretty pissed off with apple if they said this to me..

"In its own statement, Apple said it would reconsider its relationship in the UK with any record label that does not lower its wholesale prices in the UK to the pan-European level within six months."

I personally wish the UK never joined the EU in the first place, but thats another subject

Not to re-ignite the flame war above, but I'm curious. Why would you be mad at Apple? I understand there's a lot of animosity in Britain about the EU (which isn't to say I entirely understand the animosity itself, since I don't live there, but I have watched a lot of "Yes, Minister" and surely I get partial credit for that! )

Apple didn't start out saying this, remember. As nearly as I could see from far-off Texas, it seemed as though Apple had initially tried to run its music store in Europe, found things too disunified to have just the one store, and then set up a necessarily fragmented store, passing on its costs of doing business to the consumer. If in addition to this, as some of the other posters have said, Apple was actually eating some of those disparities, that seems quite laudible on Apple's part.

Once the EU demanded uniform pricing, what would your suggestion have been for a fairer response from Apple?
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:

I personally wish the UK never joined the EU in the first place, but thats another subject

I personally wish the UK was never allowed to join the EU in the first place, we would have a totally integrated federal state without those idiots almost moaning about the so called undemocratic Europe. They always prevent the Union from progressing and afterwards they complain that it does not work.

Just ask your friend Bush to let you in the United States and I am sure you will be a happier nation and so would Europe.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frenchseb View Post

I personally wish the UK was never allowed to join the EU in the first place, we would have a totally integrated federal state without those idiots almost moaning about the so called undemocratic Europe. They always prevent the Union from progressing and afterwards they complain that it does not work.

Just ask your friend Bush to let you in the United States and I am sure you will be a happier nation and so would Europe.

Personally I have always though joining the USA would be a great idea. They have their country's interests in the core of their government, whereas the UK government has interests everywhere except the UK. The EU just saps money from Brits too.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:

You wouldn't have an integrated state either way. The EU is such a jumble of disconnected interests, I'm not sure you will ever be able to sort it out.

The nation state has not died out.

But we would GLADLY give you Bush. But you have to take Chaney as well.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Personally I have always though joining the USA would be a great idea. They have their country's interests in the core of their government, whereas the UK government has interests everywhere except the UK. The EU just saps money from Brits too.

I know Canadians who say that.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

The relationship between the EU and Hitler is that a lot of English people died so they could have democracy instead of being dictated to by Hitler, and now they are dictated to by the unelected EU.

Amazing how quickly this thread devolved into a Daily Mail Readers rant.

Actually, there are elections for European MPs and of course you get to cast your vote in national elections, whereby the winning party decides how to behave towards Europe. If enough people voted UKIP and the like the main parties would have to take notice, but it would seem that most people just don't really care.

There are plenty of things not to like about the EU (too much bureaucracy), plenty of myths about the EU (e.g. there's no such thing as the "straight banana" directive), and plenty of good that the EU has done (e.g. RoHS, WEEE).
  • Reply 38 of 51
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post

Hopefully this won't turn out, so that everyone pays GB's prices..

That may not be a bad thing, the rest of Apples products are actually cheaper in the UK than they are in other European countries
  • Reply 39 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

So I guess you wish your French forefathers hadn't been quite so involved in spliting them up in the first place ...
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:

Oceania is at war with Eurasia... Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia...