what is the chance of iPod capcity upgrades?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
the last time storage upgrade were (from 2GB to 4Gb, 4GB to 8GB) and nano remaining same size (1GB)

1) San Disk and Cretive already upgraded to 8 and 16GB

2) kingston retail prices of flash drives (just for cost comparision)

4 GB - about $25

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-4gb...204134644.html

8 GB - about $50

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-8gb...204740969.html

16Gb - about $100

http://www.supermediastore.com/16gb-...en-drives.html

(the cost from samsung could be much lower than the above retail street prices)

other things to consider

3) iPhone storage increase

4) iPod touch storage increase

what is the chance of size upgrades? or we will see april time frame only? or MWSF just mac refreshes only?

also is there a chance iPod touch completely replaces iPod nano? ( i bet this is sep 08)

thoughts?? rumors?? ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

also is there a chance iPod touch completely replaces iPod nano? ( i bet this is sep 08)

replace Apple's best selling iPod? not a chance.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

What is the chance of iPod capcity upgrades?

Zero. Apple has established their upgrade cycle for the iPod: you'll have to wait until September to see any refresh. The iPhone may get 16GB before then. 3G? maybe. iPhone Nano? I wish (but probably not).

Quote:

1) San Disk and Creative already upgraded to 8 and 16GB

Apple does not need to (and never has had to) chase anyone on specs for their iPods.

Quote:

or MWSF just mac refreshes only?

That's what I would put my money on.

Quote:

I'm with Buddha. You are more likely to see Apple drop the iPod Touch than you are to see them discontinue the Nano. Eventually, Apple will stop making iPods. When the last iPod is sold, it will be a Nano (or its descendant).
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I'd say a 16GB iPhone is likely, if not at Macworld, then in the next two months.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

replace Apple's best selling iPod? not a chance.

I remember everyone saying that about the iPod mini, but look what happened.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I remember everyone saying that about the iPod mini, but look what happened.

But the Nano is smaller and cheaper than the Mini was. One can argue that Apple only really changed the name from Mini to Nano. The Touch is more likely a successor of the Classic (it is too large to replace the Nano), but even there, the Classic will persist for the next couple of years (Sep 2009 at least) due to the high cost of flash memory.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

But the Nano is smaller and cheaper than the Mini was. One can argue that Apple only really changed the name from Mini to Nano. The Touch is more likely a successor of the Classic (it is too large to replace the Nano), but even there, the Classic will persist for the next couple of years (Sep 2009 at least) due to the high cost of flash memory.

Nano=Substitute for the mini. Exactly.

The Mini was for someone who wanted a smaller, cheaper iPod - that's exactly what the iPod Nano is now; in fact to a higher extent. The iPod Touch on the other hand is a larger, more expensive product = no match.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I don't know when it will happen, but I see future iPods moving to OS X, just like the touch. One driving factor will be the SDK coming in February, the other will be the decreasing cost of memory. A year after the SDK is out you're going to want 16 to 32 gigs in your handheld, regardless of the iPod/iPhone form you chose.

When the next bump will happen I don't know, but I believe MWSF 08 is a great time for the next round, with a major change in September.

So for me it is watch the touch to see where the rest of the iPod line will go.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

the last time storage upgrade were (from 2GB to 4Gb, 4GB to 8GB) and nano remaining same size (1GB)

I don't see what happened last time as having any bearing on the subject.

Quote:

(the cost from samsung could be much lower than the above retail street prices)

You can get 8GB of flash from a supply house for under $25 in low volume. Given Apples volume they could be paying well under half that.

Quote:

other things to consider

3) iPhone storage increase

There is huge demand here for more storage especially if they ever finish up disk mode. For a business man having certain files on hand 24/7 can be very useful. There are lots of other uses for disk mode too. As iPhone becomes more and more fleshed out people will use it in a vast number of different ways.

So what I'm saying is that if Apple is real smart they will deliver a 32 GB variant of the iPhone in January.

Quote:

4) iPod touch storage increase

From all appearances the Touch sold like hotcakes. This is a good sign of acceptance, but I see a need for a few more minor tweaks including storage increases. So heres to expecting BlueTooth, a larger battery and 32 and 64 GB versions. I don't think this will happen until after the SDK is released.

By the way some of the tweaks required are Bluetooth, repartitioning the flash for more applications storage, Mail integration, More RAM, smart CPU speed scaling and a much larger battery. I'd really like it if they simply used the same battery as is inthe iPhone, that means a slightly thicker device but I'd go for the trade off. Since the alleged intention is to deliver the ability to run apps on the iPhone and Touch, these tweaks would make for a much more capable machine to do just that. It might not be the normal time for a iPod update but I think there are some Huge marketing advantages to delivering a more optimized machine that can handle both apps and iPod media.

Quote:

what is the chance of size upgrades? or we will see april time frame only? or MWSF just mac refreshes only?

I'd be very surprised that any sort of iPod upgrade happens at MWSF. iPhone maybe. Like suggested above I think there is a huge potential of tying in a Touch upgrade with the SDK. The buzz could be huge in that regard.

That however shouldn't mean that nothing iPod related will happen at MWSF. If Apple does indeed announce iTunes Movies I strongly suspect that we will see a iPod optimized for movie delivery. I mean what is the sense of movies if you can't enjoy them in HD. In a portable machine that is, such a device is almost a requirement for the service.

Quote:

Nope! There is a bigger chance that Nano gets replaced with a cell phone capable unit. Not an iPhone by the way either but a simpler cell. When that will happen is an interesting question but Apple needs a wide array of cell capable devices.

Quote:

thoughts?? rumors?? ...

I don't think so much as wish here. All I do know is that 2008 could be an interesting year as there is much in the way of technology to be delivered for the portable devices market. Some of it pretty amazing but that doesn't mean products from Apple of Course. So nothing above is a rumor. I just know that things are happening for Apple to do really interesting things if it wanted to.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I wouldn't be surprised that Apple offers a 16 GB capacity 3G nano in black and Product Red colors only--that would be a much-desired model, since videos tend to use a lot of storage space.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I'm not expecting it but it's about time we got 2Gb shuffles!!! Don't just change the colours again and pretend that makes them upgraded....:grumble
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I can see them adding a 16gb nano, to be honest I wondered why there wasn't one when they launched the 3g nano. I'm hoping for a 32gb touch, but it does make sense that they'll probably do that in February with the SDK. On the other hand, what difference does another month make if theres a Macworld this month? If they announce and detail the SDK at MW for release in February, they might announce bigger iPods with it.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
  • Reply 13 of 17
    If any of their portable media devices are updated, I'd say the iPhone is most likely, followed by the iPod Touch.

I can't imagine that the classic or nano will be changed at all.

If they announce iPhone upgrades, I think it'll probably go up to 16GB, and then to stay competetive, the iPod touch might get bumped to 16GB and 32GB models.

Also, they may announce the 2nd gen iPhone, but it may not be available for another few months, which would then also be when any touch updates happened.

Definite no on the "standard" iPods being updated next week though.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Aren't you forgetting about the Shuffle? It's remained relatively unchanged since the 2nd Gen was introduced in Sep '06 with only a refresh of the colours last September. Apple needs to increase its capacity to 2Gb to remain competitive with competing flash players, which offer 2Gb and more for 30-40% less than the Shuffle...C'mon Apple!!!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

I'm not expecting it but it's about time we got 2Gb shuffles!!! Don't just change the colours again and pretend that makes them upgraded....:grumble

I vote for 4GB Shuffles. I'd pay more for it too.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    iPod Shuffle may get replaced with a new, 2GB design. As to the completely new September 07 designs? Not going to be touched
  • Reply 17 of 17
    The iPod classic is done getting updates. When the iPod touch gets 64GB of storage then Apple will stop producing the 80GB iPod classic and sell off what is in inventory. The 160GB iPod classic will disappear when the iPod touch gets 160GB of storage.

I see the storage of the iPod touch progress as follows (8, 16, 32, 64, 96, 160)