Warner Bros said to have signed on for iTunes movie rentals

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Good question. With the price at $1.99 to BUY an episode, I'm skeptical that studios would be willing to go much lower than that.

Rental TV shows is the real killer app (how many TV shows do you really want to own?!)

I'm not sure about reducing prices of the individual episodes but given the idea of iTS is to sell more AppleTVs/iPods discounting the season passes or offering multiple season pass bundles would set the cable/satellite industry alight. Though I don't think anyone will be cancelling their subscriptions until iTunes has better promotional/previewing functions (video podcast-style)

McD
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Dont see much mention of a new apple TV. Surely that is required for this to be a success. After all the iTunes model is the conduit to sell more iPods
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aussie John View Post

Dont see much mention of a new apple TV. Surely that is required for this to be a success. After all the iTunes model is the conduit to sell more iPods

I do not own an Apple TV, but with the movie rentals, if the Apple TV could do the following, it would be an awesome product. Worth at least $400.

Direct access to iTunes Movie Rental

A Blu-Ray DVD Player built-in

1080p Output via HDMI

Direct access to other Web Content (i.e. YouTube)

I would happily write my check tomorrow ;-)

Dave
  • Reply 44 of 50
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dukemeiser View Post

Does anyone else think they should offer a discount to buy the movies you just rented? For instance lets say I rented Pirates of the Caribbean 3 for $4 and I love the movie so much I want to buy it (which is $15). I should then be able to pay the extra $11 and keep the movie for good and iTunes would lift the time limit (since it's already been downloaded). This would be an extremely easy way to turn a rental into extra money. And it only hurts them if they don't install this plan because lets say I spent that $4 and now I want to buy it but it will cost me the full $15. I'm going to have a hard time justifying that because I already blew $4 on a movie that I still don't own. Kinda like "Complete My Album".

I doubt it and who doesn't think the "greedy" movie studios will be blamed for the reasoning it's not gonna happen.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

SSssshhhhh- nobody's supposed to think or know that!
  • Reply 46 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    One thing I find odd about these rumors about pricing is that Apple is supposed to have given in on the demand to pay $17 per movie wholesale price. How can they do that and still sell a movie for $15?

Even if the wholesale price is less for older content, they're already a long way in the hole for new films.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One thing I find odd about these rumors about pricing is that Apple is supposed to have given in on the demand to pay $17 per movie wholesale price. How can they do that and still sell a movie for $15?

I believe I read it (admittedly a while ago now) that they had given in to VARIABLE pricing, which would imply UP TO $17 for a movie, but leave room to go lower, not unlike online and B/M stores.

{edit} read what you said slightly wrong, but in essence i'll stick with what I typed.

I think that was something Steve was unwilling to do, but was able to use as a "concession" in order to get the rental thing off the ground.

informed speculation only of course
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveatoriental View Post

I do not own an Apple TV, but with the movie rentals, if the Apple TV could do the following, it would be an awesome product. Worth at least $400.

Direct access to iTunes Movie Rental

A Blu-Ray DVD Player built-in

1080p Output via HDMI

Direct access to other Web Content (i.e. YouTube)

I would happily write my check tomorrow ;-)

Dave

HDMI is already there at 720, the market penetration for HDTV sets in the US apparently stands at 10% and I'll wager heavy money on 90% of those being only 720 capable.

Youtube is already there, spent a few hours last night reliving the late 70s with clips from the Muppet show!

iTunes movie Rental isnt "here yet" so wait till the 15th for that, its only a software update away, as was the youtube update.

I'd be very skeptical if you will get a BD player built in at all, never mind for $400.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Quote:

again wait for the 15th
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

You're right, it isn't - rocket science has less guesswork!

No, it's because he's 16!

(now, I'm guessing)

McD

hahaha rocket science is pretty set in solid math but using a little applied logic seems to escape most on the internet - and I'd happily include myself in there too!

16yr olds complaining about being ripped off on a service that hasnt been officially launched, never mind announced, sounds about right.

Do they consider that they are ripping off their parents by not paying rent? nah.