Get rid of the click bar

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So I've seen a mockup/hoax where the new mac-slim-daddy has a looong click bar at the bottom of the long multitouch trackpad and then a recent one where the trackpad is long but the button is nested inside it at its usual size. Of course, if the click bar is long then your wrists will hit it, but if it's small then it becomes difficult to click with your thumb if your fingers are over in the far corners, soooooo....

Get rid of the click bar! Maybe we will see the first iteration of the force feedback trackpad in the new mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nordstrodamus View Post

So I've seen a mockup/hoax where the new mac-slim-daddy has a looong click bar at the bottom of the long multitouch trackpad and then a recent one where the trackpad is long but the button is nested inside it at its usual size. Of course, if the click bar is long then your wrists will hit it, but if it's small then it becomes difficult to click with your thumb if your fingers are over in the far corners, soooooo....

Get rid of the click bar! Maybe we will see the first iteration of the force feedback trackpad in the new mac.

Maybe we will
  • Reply 2 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I really hope not if it's anything like the current tap-to-click implementation. I actually have to turn it off when I use other people's laptops for just a few minutes.

Maybe if the pad was cut in two horizontally. Have a part that is 1/3rd the size closest to the user and that defines the click area. In the click area, 1 finger is a left click and 2 is a right-click (this is easier than 2 fingers + button). Then the 2/3rds closest to the screen defines the scroll area. This way no cursor moves are misinterpreted as clicks.

Generally, you'd use the thumb to left-click and thumb and pinky to right-click. Then index finger to move the cursor and index + middle finger to scroll.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I really hope not if it's anything like the current tap-to-click implementation. I actually have to turn it off when I use other people's laptops for just a few minutes.

Maybe if the pad was cut in two horizontally. Have a part that is 1/3rd the size closest to the user and that defines the click area. In the click area, 1 finger is a left click and 2 is a right-click (this is easier than 2 fingers + button). Then the 2/3rds closest to the screen defines the scroll area. This way no cursor moves are misinterpreted as clicks.

Generally, you'd use the thumb to left-click and thumb and pinky to right-click. Then index finger to move the cursor and index + middle finger to scroll.

Agreed. I do not like "tap to click".

Also, I do not like the full width trackpad in that mockup. It seems seriously awkward for some reason. Maybe it's because it's not scaled to the screen in any meaningful way? Maybe it's just because I cant see myself dragging my fingers all the way back and forth across the width of the machine. My wrists would always be hitting it too (though I am aware that I can shut off touchpad input while using the keyboard).
  • Reply 4 of 13
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Agreed. I do not like "tap to click".

Also, I do not like the full width trackpad in that mockup. It seems seriously awkward for some reason. Maybe it's because it's not scaled to the screen in any meaningful way? Maybe it's just because I cant see myself dragging my fingers all the way back and forth across the width of the machine. My wrists would always be hitting it too (though I am aware that I can shut off touchpad input while using the keyboard).

I totally agree... wide trackpads would not be good for ergonomics.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I don't mind tap-to-click at all.

When we think about it, the laptop trackpads are really the first "multitouch" devices that Apple ever put into it's products.

Right now on my MBP, I could use it well and never have to use the mechanical mouse button again. I can move the cursor, scroll, click, and right-click all with one and two-finger combos on the trackpad itself.

So, for an ultraportable laptop, in order to get it as thin as possible, I could absolutely imagine Apple taking out the mechanical button next to the trackpad in favor of a "multitouch" trackpad.

I guess we'll find out...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    The moment that Apple forces tap-to-click down my throat is the moment I vow to never buy another Apple notebook. I can't stand it. I don't see the harm in having a real button, although the current MB/MBP mouse buttons could stand to be cut in two and the right side dedicated to secondary click. Also, (I'm going out on a limb here, considering present company), I really like the mouse buttons on the HP Pavilions, which has the feel of a keyboard key when clicked. It's much softer and less rough when clicking it, which I like.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Tap-to-clicK?

Never heard of it, but I can imagine that would suck. No, I imagine they will have it so you can just press-with-conviction and the trackpad (whole or part) gives way or vibrates or something.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Guys, tap to click is fantastic. Its way easier and far more comfortable, especially when trying to drag and drop. I mean drag and drop alone is reason enough to use it. Seriously, everyone who has tap to click off needs to retry dragging and dropping with it. Not to mention its way more physically efficient. Two finger tap vs holding down another key? C'mon.

They could drop the click bar today, and I would never look back. If anything that button is in the way. And when we can zoom in and out using it? That will be a nice day.

The only issue with tap to click is keeping your wrists of the pad. But that's really not that hard.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

Guys, tap to click is fantastic. Its way easier and far more comfortable, especially when trying to drag and drop. I mean drag and drop alone is reason enough to use it. Seriously, everyone who has tap to click off needs to retry dragging and dropping with it. Not to mention its way more physically efficient.

Tried it already and it doesn't work for me. I often end up accidentally clicking twice and opening the document or the trackpad stops sensing my finger in mid-drag causing my file(s) to drop into oblivion. You can't for example do the whole lift then drag that you can with a physical button. Everything has to be done in one movement. When you hit the edge of your trackpad during a drag and you haven't reached your destination, you're screwed. The dragging has to be separate from the clicking.

Even if it was left click to select and then the second finger could drag around freely but I don't think that's very good ergonomics and could easily lead to RSI.

Quote:

And when we can zoom in and out using it? That will be a nice day.

Doesn't ctrl + two-finger scroll-up/down work?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Tried it already and it doesn't work for me. I often end up accidentally clicking twice and opening the document or the trackpad stops sensing my finger in mid-drag causing my file(s) to drop into oblivion. You can't for example do the whole lift then drag that you can with a physical button. Everything has to be done in one movement. When you hit the edge of your trackpad during a drag and you haven't reached your destination, you're screwed.

Try turning on drag-lock.

Anyway, I agree that Apple should do away with the physical button and think it's high-time they split it in two to give a dedicated right button.

Perhaps if space is at a premium a "click-trackpad" (a la iPod click wheel) that doubles as the physical button could work.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

TYou can't for example do the whole lift then drag that you can with a physical button. Everything has to be done in one movement. When you hit the edge of your trackpad during a drag and you haven't reached your destination, you're screwed. The dragging has to be separate from the clicking.

Doesn't ctrl + two-finger scroll-up/down work?

You got it ALL wrong man. It doesnt have to be in one movement. You have to click again to drop it once you grab it. Its two taps with holding down on the 2nd tap. Then you are free to drag, pick up your finger, scratch your head, and then drag some more. You can endless drags across the pad and it wont drop it until you click it. It wont drop until you tap again. At that point its tap to drop, dudes. Its takes one freaking finger to drag and drop all over the screen. No way its easier to use the button. That takes at least two.

I'm starting to think that multi-touch and the whole tap to click thing is like making sweet love: If you aren't digging it, then you are doing something wrong.

And ctrl +two fingers means I have to hit control. That's the whole point. Its more efficient with one movement. I'm fine with keystrokes OR mouse gestures. Just not both.

Bring on the multi-touch, death to the click bar.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

You got it ALL wrong man. It doesnt have to be in one movement. You have to click again to drop it once you grab it. Its two taps with holding down on the 2nd tap. Then you are free to drag, pick up your finger, scratch your head, and then drag some more. You can endless drags across the pad and it wont drop it until you click it. It wont drop until you tap again. At that point its tap to drop, dudes. Its takes one freaking finger to drag and drop all over the screen.

Only if you have drag-lock on. There are two separate options: dragging, which works as Marvin described, and drag-lock, which works as you described.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    The click bar is helpful sometimes. It should stay.