Leaked 2008 Keynote

MacWorld January 2008 Keynote

Rough Outline; draft 5

Greetings! Welcome to Moscone Center

Quick Overview: iPod/iTunes

- iPod has been extremely profitable for us this holiday season

- Sales figures, market share

- Our new models are doing better than ever

- 3 iPod games released last month accidentally (supposed to be for today)

- Another new game today: Chess

- iTunes doing extremely well (sales figures/market share)

- Today: 30 indie labels releasing their entire catalogs in iTunes Plus

- Many more to follow in the next few months

iPhone

- Best iPod ever

- Sales figures, market share

- Sales beyond our wildest dreams

- Much more than the 1% market share we asked for in January

- Starting today: 8GB $399, 16GB $499

- Four times the memory as original iPhone for the same price

- iPhone is coming to Japan in March with NTT DoCoMo

- SDK is unveiled!

iPhone/iPod Touch SDK

- Apps and Widgets

- Using Cocoa with Objective-C

- Developers submit programs as source code, not executable

- Specify iPhone or both iPhone/Touch (certain features iPhone only)

- Set your own price: Apps $0-$6.99, Widgets $0-$2.99

- Users buy/download in iTunes Wi-Fi Store / iTunes Store (Mac/PC)

- Automatic updating wirelessly or docked

- Demonstration of exporting from XCode 3 to iTunes Store

- Submits source code to Apple for validation (make sure that people aren't abusing the system, prevent malware and viruses)

- If using microphone or GSM, iPhone only; otherwise, available for both iPhone and iPod Touch

- Apps can be free or up to $6.99; Widgets free or up to $2.99

- Developers recieve 70% of revenue for their products

- Licensed under Apple Mobile Software License

- Can download wirelessly from iTunes Wi-Fi Store or docked to computer from iTunes Store

- Demonstration of wirelessly downloading (and running) the app submitted earlier

- Apps and widgets can be rearranged on front screen; front screen scrolls to show all apps/widgets

- Resubmit updated versions of apps; when added to store, iPhone/Touch will ask you to update it next time you use it (or next time you dock the iPhone/Touch)

- Developers can get their hands on a beta version of the SDK tomorrow on ADC and start developing; final version due early February

- iTunes 7.6 and iPhone/iPod Touch Software update 1.3 allowing for Apps mid-February

Example apps/widgets

Apps:

- iChat (coming with 1.3 update) (AIM, Jabber/Google Talk)

-- Quick demonstration

- RSS Feed Reader (coming with 1.3 update) (read feeds online or off)

- One of our partners made something cool: Last.fm (scrobble tracks played on iPhone/touch wirelessly without syncing w/ computer)

Widgets:

- Dictionary (coming with 1.3 update) (quickly look up words, translate, use wikipedia)

-- Quick demonstration

- Yellow/White Book (coming with 1.3 update) (search for contacts, add them to your address book directly from the app, will sync back with address book on your Mac/PC)

- Sports Ticker (coming with 1.3 update) (choose your sports and teams, get updates on their progress)

- Another partner: Twitter (update your Twitter on the fly, see your friends tweets)

- Try these out on the show floor today

Mac

- Sales are getting better and better every day

- Hardware sales figures/market share

- Leopard released October; doing spectacularly

- Sales figures/market share

- Selling extremely well; estimated to overtake Tiger in terms of marketshare by June if you only count the new Macs that come with it preinstalled; even quicker if you include boxed copies

- 10.5.2 out today - many bug fixes, also addressing a lot of issues and complaints users had such as list view with stacks and certain HIG non-compliance issues

New MacBooks!

- What would MacWorld be without a new Mac? (sorry about last year)

- Completely redesigned MacBook

- Completely aluminum body like MacBook Pro

- 13" screen at 1440x900

- Two colors: Black and Silver

- Looks gorgeous at 0.8" thin

- A major feat of engineering - patents abound

- DVD drive pops open on side when eject button is pressed

- New on all notebooks and iMac: iSight HD (720p)

- New backlit keyboard based on recent Apple Keyboard revisions (keys slightly lighter than that of laptop casing, colorwise)

- New matching MagSafe cable (Aluminum ends, cord color matches that of keyboard)

- New matching Apple Remote (slightly smaller with larger overall buttons)

- Intel GMA X3100 graphics

- 3 models

- Completely phasing out the combo drive on all product lines today

- BTO models can upgrade all the way to 2.6GHz/4GB Memory/320GB hard drive

- 4.5 hours of battery life

- Starting at $1199

Product Refreshes

- Refreshing Mac Pro and Mac mini today

- Mac Pro now with Penryn!

- Base model 2x2.8GHz dual-core/1GB/NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB/250GB(1x250GB)/1x16x double-layer SuperDrive

- Upgradeable to 2x3.2GHz quad-core/16GB/NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB/4TB(4x1TB)/2x16x double-layer SuperDrives

- Starting at $2,499

- Mac mini gets slight speed bumps and double-layer SuperDrive in all models

- Base model 2.0GHz IC2D/1GB/100GB

- BTO Upgradeable to 2.4GHz IC2D/4GB/320GB

- Starting at $599

One More Thing

- Been brewing for a while

- YouTube's been in Apple TV and iPhone/iPod touch: now it's in iTunes

- Download YouTube videos straight to iTunes or from iPhone/iPod Touch for later offline viewing (sync back to computer)

- Coming in iTunes 7.6 and iPhone/iPod Touch 1.3 updates

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    No cinema display? This can not be true. I am waiting for the new release for months. Steve must give something about the display. Its not real leak!
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Since they just refreshed the Mac Pro (and this "leak" didn't even get that right as far as the specs), no mention of movie rentals on iTunes, and this "set your own price" for widgets and apps, I'm gonna say -- nada, no, zip, uh-uh, probably not.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    It was a nice effort; I'll give them that.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

It was a nice effort; I'll give them that.

Yeah, the parts that rang "true" were the mentions of other apps and 3rd party software companies. That was pretty good.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Maybe I'm being scammed, but the iPhone SDK stuff sounds EXACTLY like what Apple would and should do. If it's true, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Objective-C/Cocoa and a chance to make money on the biggest download store? WOO-HOO!! I have several apps ready to go and some more planned.

What a concept - send the source code, not the executable - Apple will compile it, run it, test it, and sign it... with the source, they can use Instruments to see what it is doing. Very very nice.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Maybe I'm being scammed, but the iPhone SDK stuff sounds EXACTLY like what Apple would and should do. If it's true, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Objective-C/Cocoa and a chance to make money on the biggest download store? WOO-HOO!! I have several apps ready to go and some more planned.

What a concept - send the source code, not the executable - Apple will compile it, run it, test it, and sign it... with the source, they can use Instruments to see what it is doing. Very very nice.

I like a lot of the stuff here, too -- and I think they are good educated guesses -- I just don't think the Keynote is actually going to run down like this.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

- SDK is unveiled!

This was my first tip off. After all of those bland bullet points that seem somewhat believable, like what someone would really use to give a presentation, the "SDK is unveiled!" seemed a little fake. I mean, didn't we know this already?

Quote:

One More Thing

- Been brewing for a while

- YouTube's been in Apple TV and iPhone/iPod touch: now it's in iTunes

- Download YouTube videos straight to iTunes or from iPhone/iPod Touch for later offline viewing (sync back to computer)

This just make my heart sink.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think there is a 50% chance that half that stuff will be true.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    What's with all these "leaked keynotes" that we're seeing this time around? I've followed several dozen of these keynote-type events for many years, and I never remember seeing this nonsense so much.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Please calm my nerves someone. This keynote "draft" is a fake right?
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Please calm my nerves someone. This keynote "draft" is a fake right?

As fake as websites claiming to have a live video stream of the keynote speech, yes.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Probably fake... But an amazingly realistic set of predictions.

Most predictions typically seem more rooted in "want" than in "likelyhood". At least this list doesn't seem to have fallen into that trap.

But hey, everyone is in the predictions game nowadays. One of the pittsburgh morning news shows ran a segment today on CES and MacWorld. Ironically, they only mentioned CES as a segue into MWSF. The local station's "expert" is predicting a 3G iphone and sub-notebook. A prediction that I view as wishful thinking rather than supported by evidence or even credible rumor.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

As fake as websites claiming to have a live video stream of the keynote speech, yes.

Your gonna keep stabbing me even though I'm already dead on the ground rotting hmm??
  • Reply 14 of 38
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Your gonna keep stabbing me even though I'm already dead on the ground rotting hmm??

If you were on the ground rotting, we'd plant mushrooms on you, not stab you.

• Reply 15 of 38
    Apple is not going to announce new MacBooks. Forget it. MB are brand new, low cost and *extremely* competitive. Expect Apple to squeeze much more life out of the MacBooks. Instead, expect Apple to announce a brand new MacBook Pro case design. The current design is completely unchanged for *5* years. I think it stands to reason that developing a new chassis that further distinguishes MBP from MB is necessary to capture the higher prices MBP garners. I would expect the MBP to have upgraded features like: a new multi-funtion track pad, slim case, higher res display, zoomable camera (just a guess), solid state drive options (only makes sense as an option for MBP due to the cost...unless Apple develops a custom Flash-based DIMM which would be *much* more cost effective).

What do you guys think? Why is no one focused on MBP upgrades? Apple gets higher margins from them, and the current design is very old...it makes sense to me...
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkillian View Post

Apple is not going to announce new MacBooks. Forget it. MB are brand new, low cost and *extremely* competitive. Expect Apple to squeeze much more life out of the MacBooks. Instead, expect Apple to announce a brand new MacBook Pro case design. The current design is completely unchanged for *5* years. I think it stands to reason that developing a new chassis that further distinguishes MBP from MB is necessary to capture the higher prices MBP garners. I would expect the MBP to have upgraded features like: a new multi-funtion track pad, slim case, higher res display, zoomable camera (just a guess), solid state drive options (only makes sense as an option for MBP due to the cost...unless Apple develops a custom Flash-based DIMM which would be *much* more cost effective).

What do you guys think? Why is no one focused on MBP upgrades? Apple gets higher margins from them, and the current design is very old...it makes sense to me...

Exactly. I don't know why so many people are obsessed with MB upgrades but a significant MBP upgrade makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Apple needs to ditch the combo drive on the entry model MacBook. If $500 PC laptops can have a DL-DVD/RW, the $1100 MacBook should as well.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    No mention of video rentals. Other than that, the detail is rather impressive.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    after waiting this long for iChat on the iPhone, i'm strongly expecting audio chats, at least over WiFi. ignoring all other reasons for not believing this leak, the fact that iChat doesn't offer that is my reason.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    It has now been edited out of the Wikipedia page. It was obvious bullshit!