Can't load SD cards via 2.0 card but drives no problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is perplexing because I have this behavior on two G4 867s at two locations, one is 10.4.11 and the other still 10.3.9. Both Macs have USB 2.0 PCI cards, one IOGear, the other ADS, and both work totally fine for all functions except for loading memory cards or USB flash drives. What happens is that the Mac will freeze part way into the copying necessitating a forced restart. This happens sporadically with all manner of (in my case SD) cards and readers, and different flash drives. If I use the Mac's native USB 1.1 port it doesn't freeze, and if I use anything aside from those periphs, such as copying 10 gigs to a USB hard drive, the 2.0 card doesn't even hiccup.

This happens across all accounts. I've trashed every plist and cache I can think of (and obviously repaired permissions) as well as run Applejack in deep clean mode, but it keeps rearing it's ugly head.

So far I've gotten around it by loading the cards into a portable card loading hard drive and then mounting the drive, but this is tedious, and I long to be able to load a 4 gig (or 2 gig or 1) card straight in, which I've not been able to do since I started using them.

Searching for an answer has led me to others with the same issue and no solutions that I could find. Any wisdom would be VERY much appreciated. : )

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tried switching the cards with a different slot???

Had this with a PC, bad slot. Some slots I think don't give enough power, so some devices screw up. Can you use a powered USB hub on the card and then plug the device into that?

I think it's a power/voltage issue: not enough or not stable.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

tried switching the cards with a different slot???

Had this with a PC, bad slot. Some slots I think don't give enough power, so some devices screw up. Can you use a powered USB hub on the card and then plug the device into that?

I think it's a power/voltage issue: not enough or not stable.

kmac, thanks for the response. I've yet to move the cards around because they're in different slot locations in the two, and it has to be the least critical card as far as requirements of all the cards in them, but that's got to be considered, so that's somethiing. In both Macs there's a powered hub on the way to the USB card.

But yes, it does seem like a powering issue as opposed to a data reading one. The peripherals that it succeeds with are all mains powered devices, not USB powered. But everything functions and I don't get the "low USB power" alert that one gets when plugging into a port on the keyboard with a thumb drive that demands more power than is available. It goes through the job and then always chokes. I think you are right about it sounding like unstable power. But that's why I've got the hubs : (

My last thought is that, although I tried making sure no other processes were going on to contribute to this, perhaps even being connected to the DSL modem (with no apps running) is enough to cause a distraction, with the CPU occasionally looking that way.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hrm, odd. no reason that shouldn't work tho. Internet connection shouldn't be doing that...