Can't install Tiger after erasing Leopard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I bought my iMac it came with Leopard installed. After trying for about a month I could never network it correctly with my WinXP machine so I decided to go to Tiger instead. I have had a Tiger machine networked just fine before.

I read that to do this I needed to boot into the Leopard disk, erase the disk through Disk Utilities, then restart, boot into the Tiger disk and install Tiger. I did all that but right after the Tiger install begins, I select the language and click next, I get a "Can't install this software" message (or something to that affect).

I have erased the hard drive with "write Zeros" and still the same message.

What else can I do to install Tiger on my iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

When I bought my iMac it came with Leopard installed. After trying for about a month I could never network it correctly with my WinXP machine so I decided to go to Tiger instead. I have had a Tiger machine networked just fine before.

I read that to do this I needed to boot into the Leopard disk, erase the disk through Disk Utilities, then restart, boot into the Tiger disk and install Tiger. I did all that but right after the Tiger install begins, I select the language and click next, I get a "Can't install this software" message (or something to that affect).

I have erased the hard drive with "write Zeros" and still the same message.

What else can I do to install Tiger on my iMac?

Where did the disc come from? Retail or a grey label that was sold with the previous system? Both have to be intel: boot the iMac holding T, this throws into target disk mode. Use a firewire cable 400 or 800, connect to the other mac. Boot the 2nd mac from the install DVD and choose the imac in fw mode as the destination. Let er rip!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

Where did the disc come from? Retail or a grey label that was sold with the previous system? Both have to be intel: boot the iMac holding T, this throws into target disk mode. Use a firewire cable 400 or 800, connect to the other mac. Boot the 2nd mac from the install DVD and choose the imac in fw mode as the destination. Let er rip!

The disk is a gray label Intel Core Duo Tiger 10.4.6 that came with a Mac Mini, I bought that from a guy at work that upgraded to 10.5

But since both computers have the same Core Duo processor it should be fine, right? Or did a Core Duo iMac get a different disc that Core Duo Mini got?

I don't have a second mac anymore, I was just referencing it to my home network issue. Anything else I can do? It should just think that it's a clean install of OS on a new hard drive, so why the error message?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

The disk is a gray label Intel Core Duo Tiger 10.4.6 that came with a Mac Mini, I bought that from a guy at work that upgraded to 10.5

But since both computers have the same Core Duo processor it should be fine, right? Or did a Core Duo iMac get a different disc that Core Duo Mini got?

I don't have a second mac anymore, I was just referencing it to my home network issue. Anything else I can do? It should just think that it's a clean install of OS on a new hard drive, so why the error message?

That disc won't work for you.

You need a retail copy of Tiger or a disc that came with an iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

That disc won't work for you.

You need a retail copy of Tiger or a disc that came with an iMac.

Well, there goes $20 bucks I'll never get back. Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Don't bother at all. If your machine came with Leopard preinstalled, that is, you didn't have to use the included upgrade disc, then your machine is completely incapable of running Tiger. It's been like that for years, no Mac can run an OS earlier than what it shipped with.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The install disk are locked to the firmware/mardware set of the machine.

Get 10.5 going again and then post your questions on trying to get networked with the Win machine.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

Get 10.5 going again and then post your questions on trying to get networked with the Win machine.

I will do so this weekend.