xMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...lfdale_11.html

33watts under load if these measurements were rite, i guess it can fit in Mac Mini (if i am not wrong)

(quad core could be more power hungry though)

this measurement and TDP different?

hell yeah it can fit in iMac as well (desktop cpu will require different motherboard though)

xMac are we serious now? no?

please note : this is temp insane thread

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...lfdale_11.html

33watts under load if these measurements were rite, i guess it can fit in Mac Mini (if i am not wrong)

(quad core could be more power hungry though)

this measurement and TDP different?

hell yeah it can fit in iMac as well (desktop cpu will require different motherboard though)

xMac are we serious now? no?

please note : this is temp insane thread

The new xMac is already out. It is the Mac Pro Jr. with a single 2.8 quad processor.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

The new xMac is already out. It is the Mac Pro Jr. with a single 2.8 quad processor.

Yes, I am afraid so.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    at the same price as the old mac pro but the ram is at 2gb
  • Reply 4 of 14
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    That isn't the same as an xmac at all.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

That isn't the same as an xmac at all.

Yes, you are certainly right, but unfortunately it is the closest we'll see from Apple. Their message is if you want expandability and upgradability you are obviously a professional and can afford the price.

As has been stated previously, Steve Jobs has said it is an AIO world.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    this 'x mac is the single processor mac pro' is reaching meme levels of annoyance
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Could this actually be the year for the xMac? Probably not, but people are hoping because the MacPro is basically dual quad core.

My personal opinion is that the MacPro is a BIG box that is simply too large for those that want to move up from the mini - especially the users that bought into the mini because it was small.

We'll see how it goes, but I think a major update to the mini has a better chance.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

Yes, you are certainly right, but unfortunately it is the closest we'll see from Apple. Their message is if you want expandability and upgradability you are obviously a professional and can afford the price.

Ding ding ding, Give that man a CE-GAR!

D
  • Reply 9 of 14
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I love this topic!

If I was Steve Jobs' mother, I would tell him to create a headless Macintosh with specs similar to the iMac, only with a hard drive and GPU that could be easily swapped. I'd tell him it needs dual-link DVI, one PCIe slot and needs to be about one third the size of the Mac Pro. Its price would be about $1200. And I'd tell him to call it the xMac, just for fun.

Then I'd run for president and win because every Mac user in the country would love me.

Oh, and I'd also tell Steve to bag the glossy displays. They're crap.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Yes Shanmugam, you are insane.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

Which is an ultra affordable $2300 and only $800 more expensive than the $1499 PowerMac.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Hmm, a 24" iMac 2.8 is £1459, the Quad 2.8 Mac Pro is £1429 plus a screen. Spec the MP with the iMac hard drive size, wifi, and a screen and you're close to £2000.

They could make room for an 'xMac' if they dropped the MP Quad and made the 8 core a proper Workstation Mac. Then drop the iMac 2.8 as a standard model. There's a £600 gap from the iMac 2.4 to the MP standard spec, easily space in the range for a small screenless model with a Core2Duo 2.8 or the quad version when it comes.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Ding ding ding, Give that man a CE-GAR!

D

I don't want a "CE-GAR", I want to be wrong about Apple's stance .

Unfortunately, I believe Apple's wrong, I believe you don't need to be a professional to appreciate upgradability and expandability, maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon, cemented in my archaic thinking.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

I believe you don't need to be a professional to appreciate upgradability and expandability...

Exactly. There are many reasons for wanting to swap out a hard drive, a GPU, or add a PCIe card. There are a lot of iMacs out there with external drives, a lot of unhappy gamers, those who want eSATA ports, etc. We're not talking about major expansion; just what we would expect to be able to do with any computer. One shouldn't have to pay $2300 for a Mac like that.