Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners

Comments

• Reply 121 of 384
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Perhaps the new ultra-light portable(s) will have internet access everywhere via cell networks.

Agreed. I will probably get the over sized ultra with cell phone net access.
  • Reply 122 of 384
    Here's my guess. I think they will unveil a new Apple TV obviously paired with the iTunes movie rentals. I also think they will put a TV tuner inside the AppleTV and allow for close to real time streaming on different devices over Wifi (iPhone, iPod Touch, and Macs) allowing each of the devices to control the Apple TV's new PVR settings, showing a showtime schedule and allowing for quick access to recording shows. I think these new features would sell a lot more AppleTVs, personally I didn't buy an AppleTV for the lack of PVR features. Also it would be nice to see a built in DVD player/Blueray player.
  • Reply 123 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

.....sharing Wi-Fi?

For those who may have forgotten?

Somthing in the Air song by Thunderclap Newman

Soundtrack on Easy Rider

Call out the instigators

Because there's something in the air

We've got to get together sooner or later

Because the revolution's here, and you know it's right

And you know that it's right

We have got to get it together

We have got to get it together now

Lock up the streets and houses

Hand out the arms and ammo

We're going to blast our way through here

Revolutionary? Rebellious? Something only Jobs could accomplish? Sharing wifi? Hmm?
  • Reply 124 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Sorry to disappoint some of you but um, here's the list of bidders. Actually that's a list of accepted applications, but it's the same thing. Apple is not on the list, meaning they have nothing at all to do with the auction.

Sebastian

Sure they are.....page 3 "MAC Wireless, LLC"
  • Reply 125 of 384
    I'll try to take a more serious approach and give my best guess.

1. Apple TV with ATSC tuner to record "over the Air" programs. Since apple lost NBC on iTunes, they've got to give people another way to record the shows they want on their iPods/iPhones.

2. Ultraportable MacBook with built in HSDPA via AT&T's 3G network.
  • Reply 126 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Fear not, Apples adventures into the cloud always turn out lackluster and disappointing: eg DOTMac

What's wrong with .Mac? Since the summer updates its been working really well, Back to my Mac is great.
  • Reply 127 of 384
    If Apple were to turn AppleTV into a DVR, I imagine that they would not let you skip commercials.

I think it would make sense. Apple has a lot of content providers to keep happy. It would allow them to keep them happy while making it so Apple never has to worry about running out of content. NBC for instance said that Apple wouldn't be able to sell as many iPods without their content, this move would free Apple from that problem. It would also make AppleTV much more desirable. I guess that would be a small price to pay to have to watch commercials if it was easy to transfer the files to an iPod or iPhone.
  • Reply 128 of 384
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wondering View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...94#post1021494

How about back in Jan 07?

God that whole affair was really annoying.
  • Reply 129 of 384
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russgiro88 View Post

If Apple were to turn AppleTV into a DVR, I imagine that they would not let you skip commercials.

I think it would make sense. Apple has a lot of content providers to keep happy. It would allow them to keep them happy while making it so Apple never has to worry about running out of content. NBC for instance said that Apple wouldn't be able to sell as many iPods without their content, this move would free Apple from that problem. It would also make AppleTV much more desirable. I guess that would be a small price to pay to have to watch commercials if it was easy to transfer the files to an iPod or iPhone.

Problem 1: It would piss off content providers who already don't like the fact that DVRs exist and you would see more than NBC pulling hteir TV Shows from iTS.

Problem 2: An AppleTV that would, theoretically, have to stream H.264 (720p) media from an iTunes on a Mac or PC, decode this H.264 (720p) media for immediate viewing, capture a HD (720p) feed, encode this feed as H.264 and save to disk all at the same time would require good deal more processing power and RAM than the AppleTV currently sports. It would also need a larger HDD. Those things, plus the tuner, would price this device well above $349 USD.
  • Reply 130 of 384
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I noticed their use of Myriad Light right away also. It's really not good to use such a thin letterform against a solid black field. Even if Apple is doing this to emphasize a thinner something-or-other it seems a poor choice design-wise.

I think it's Gotham actually. I work in an ad agency and we've been using that font like crazy lately.
  • Reply 131 of 384
    Cringely actually had an article with some interesting ideas. I don't think I've seen that from him in a good two years.

Basically, he thinks Apple is poised to buy Adobe. He thinks that the owners would like to get rid of it, that a Flash/QT combo would devastate Windows Media (I assume it would keep Silverlight from gaining any ral traction, too), and add another open standard?PDF?to Apple's game.

? http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...11_003899.html
  • Reply 132 of 384
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

What's wrong with .Mac? Since the summer updates its been working really well, Back to my Mac is great.

I too agree-I personally love .mac. Especially since iPhoto '08 arrived I love .mac even more!
  • Reply 133 of 384
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    A holographic interface would make something in the air, but this is 2008 not 2018. It must be what people have suggested, some sort of wireless broadband effort by Apple. After all they gave the iPhone 2 network interfaces, and only one of them was Cell.
  • Reply 134 of 384
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cringely actually had an article with some interesting ideas. I don't think I've seen that from him in a good two years.

Basically, he thinks Apple is poised to buy Adobe. He thinks that the owners would like to get rid of it, that a Flash/QT combo would devastate Windows Media (I assume it would keep Silverlight from gaining any ral traction, too), and add another open standard?PDF?to Apple's game.

? http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...11_003899.html

To bolster that thought, I saw an article at the guardian where several former insiders at Apple and tech 'experts' were interviewed and gave their thoughts on Apple. Several are predicting that Apple will or should buy Adobe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ple.steve.jobs
  • Reply 135 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

For those who may have forgotten?

Somthing in the Air song by Thunderclap Newman

Soundtrack on Easy Rider

Call out the instigators

Lock up the streets and houses

Hand out the arms and ammo

We're going to blast our way through here

Revolutionary? Rebellious? Something only Jobs could accomplish? Sharing wifi? Hmm?

Looking at those lyrics has made me think about it being a merger/buyout by google. With Steve still the CEO.
  • Reply 136 of 384
    There's something in the air

AAPL just settled with Apple corps

The Beatles are going to join iTunes, AAPL will announce their new record label, and Jay-Z will be the guest performer on Tuesday.

There's something in the air. The airwaves of AAPL's new music label travel thru the air and bring I'm big money.

Steve Jobs will also announce the iPhones successful sales numbers.

Discuss
  • Reply 137 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Problem 1: It would piss off content providers who already don't like the fact that DVRs exist and you would see more than NBC pulling hteir TV Shows from iTS.

Problem 2: An AppleTV that would, theoretically, have to stream H.264 (720p) media from an iTunes on a Mac or PC, decode this H.264 (720p) media for immediate viewing, capture a HD (720p) feed, encode this feed as H.264 and save to disk all at the same time would require good deal more processing power and RAM than the AppleTV currently sports. It would also need a larger HDD. Those things, plus the tuner, would price this device well above $349 USD.

I dunno. Fox are obviously not that bothered by DVR. Their parent company owns sky, which has a TiVo like device on the Market to be who subscribe.
  • Reply 138 of 384
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Okay... I seem to be the only one who relises what this means.

Apple is realeasing a new type of Jet. It will be the most revolutionary commercial aircraft ever introduced.

HOWEVER

It is being coupled with the greatest airline ever created. Appleair will have wifi on board, cell phone acsess (but only for iphone) and the in-fliht entertainment system will be the intire iTunes library. Plus, all of the crew will wear Black turtlenecks and blue jeans.

The airline will only fly the new jet and the jet will only be flowon on the new airline, despite pleas from other airlines to sell it.

• Reply 139 of 384
    Now we all know that Steve Jobs always has a much larger, long-term perspective and business strategy than most CEOs. So, I was skeptical that the slogan could be as simple as the addition of WIMAX or a lightweight touchbook or an updated HD/Blu-Ray Apple TV that streamed back and forth with your other Apple devices over 3G and Draft N. So I decided to google the phrase "there is something in the Air" and "Apple" and see what came up. Here is what I found most interesting:

http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/erm0561.pdf

It's a 2005 discussion about the importance of podcasting to education. More interesting in the article is mention of the impact of podcasting upon human civilization's ability to communicate. This is the kind of thinking that would merit attribution to Steve Jobs. We know Steve has mentioned in Apple meetings that the direction of Apple is about the ability to create and DISTRIBUTE content, hence the connection of Final Cut and iTunes. Steve has always seen the marriage between video, voice, music, and the spoken word and the need for a distribution medium which is as accessible and simple to use as are Macs to the Mac consumer.

Thus, I suspect the "Something in the Air" theme has to do with the marriage of all Apple products towards Steve's stated goal of perfecting the ability to mass communicate high quality video, images, voice, music, etc. to the masses (via iTunes and all Apple products of course). In order to accomplish this, he's got to make the Mac computer the creation station and the iPhone/iPod, Apple TV, and likely sub-notebook/newton-like tablet device able to freely pass the content. To do this, he's got to leverage all the wireless bandwidth he can (hence the Starbucks wifi access (with ordering and iTunes a way for Starbucks to increase revenue and co-brand their complimentary products)), open up the potential for access to all AT&T Wifi-spots, and introduction of 3G into the new products (tablet, iPhone2, etc.). The Apple TV HD wifi problem has already been licked with draft-N, so introduce a new Apple TV with draft-N and a faster processor to handle 1080p footage (with a Sony 1080p Blu-Ray Drive to boot) and Apple suddenly sets itself up to dominate the hi def disc market the way it's done it with iTunes and the iPhone.

Apple strategy is all about building a brand of products that are interdependent and provide additional value to the consumer if purchased together as a family. All of that content we create on our computers, combined with that content we can download to our computers (or our devices which will synch to our computers -- wirelessly "in the air of course") from iTunes (whether it be podcasts, movies, songs, or audio books) makes for an "easy", familiar, one-stop shop approach to how purchase, create, store, play and (most importantly) "distribute" our media. We're going to use Steve's computers, devices, network and software to do it because its simpler, sexier, smarter, faster, and better than any alternative. Sure, there will be nay sayers (mostly Redmond junkies who don't get it yet), but world consumers will flock like sheep to this "air lifestyle" because it will be the coolest thing that we all wanted but never really knew until Steve Jobs figured it out for us (because we're collectively pretty bad at effectively knowing and communicating what we want and mostly because most big companies don't care what the consumer wants, they only care about fleecing our pockets and running off with our money).

So, if I am correct, look for a series of new products (yes some will be perceived as just badly needed updates, but Steve has been waiting to bring them together like an orchestra) such as:

1. HD Apple TV (with Blu-Ray because the discs are out there and if Steve can get BD purchasers to buy up his HD Apple TVs he'll have them on his network for a generation and make gobs of cash from them).

2. SONY BDs in all new macs (because HD video is central to this Apple Video-centric strategy, he wants you to use his software and computers to make your HD movies until the point that all of your relatives have HD Apple TVs capable of getting the same content via his iTunes Network). Which means that the new Mac Pros already have BD drives in them and will get a firmware update to enable them after Mac World (just like he did when he hid draft-N in the iMacs for months).

3. Final Cut Studio and Express updates to be able to burn BDs and iTunes-streamable HD content (you can already do this on iTunes and Web Gallery).

4. A space upgrade to Apple's secret You Tube (aka Web Gallery) to accomodate all of that HD content you'll be creating.

5. 3G built into all MacBooks (including the MacTouch's that will be released next week) with enticing AT&T discounts to users who connect more than one data device to their network, with Apple getting a slice from each account, of course.

6. Free access to all AT&T wifi spots around the world for all AT&T iPhone and soon to be MacTouch customers.

7. A huge expansion of the iTunes library with the addition of nearly all of the rest of the major labels' and movies houses' content into iTunes (DRM Free for the most part).

8. A 3G iPhone announcement (but won't be available until around May).

9. Sony announcement that it will distribute its films and music via iTunes.

10. Ability to wirelessly synch all of your recent generation Apple Devices.

11. Potential announcement that Apple is Purchasing Adobe and merging their products into Final Cut and Aperature (thereby grabbing a huge PC-link into iTunes "Distribution").

With all of this, Apple will make it easy (but not necessarily cheap) for you begin your journey into your future Apple lifestyle "in the air." See you at the Apple Store (or Best Buy)...
  • Reply 140 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nolefan View Post

Now we all know that Steve Jobs always has a much larger, long-term perspective and business strategy than most CEOs. So, I was skeptical that the slogan could be as simple as the addition of WIMAX or a lightweight touchbook or an updated HD/Blu-Ray Apple TV that streamed back and forth with your other Apple devices over 3G and Draft N. So I decided to google the phrase "there's something in the Air" and "Apple" and see what came up. Here is what I found most interesting:

With all of this, Apple will make it easy (but not necessarily cheap) for you begin your journey into your future Apple lifestyle "in the air." See you at the Apple Store (or Best Buy)...

Welcome to the AI forums. While I don't agree with all your predictions that is an excellent 1st post.

Things I don't see happening at MacWorld are Blu-ray (Apple is pushing disc-less), DRM-free in iTunes (Apple is the bully that no one wants to play with on the music side and video still requires DRM as it's a different beast), Sony announcement (Sony Music doesn't care about black people—wait, I mean—Sony Music doesn't care about Apple right now), and wireless sync of portable devices (I see this as a pointless feature since wireless sync is slow and will drain the battery, unles we are talking about WAN syncing, not LAN syncing)

My 02¢.