New Mac Pro - Just a speed bump or is it a must have?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I haven't noticed any comments on the single chip Mac Pro. I'm seriously looking at it, for games and software development. Any thoughts? The old G5 will simply become my office computer, to replace the 722 MHz Quicksilver I'm typing on. (I can't run Leopard on this old Mac.)

If that looks like what you need, go for it.

The Mac Pro in any configuration is a sweet machine.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I haven't noticed any comments on the single chip Mac Pro. I'm seriously looking at it, for games and software development. Any thoughts? The old G5 will simply become my office computer, to replace the 722 MHz Quicksilver I'm typing on. (I can't run Leopard on this old Mac.)

I think this is a great way to go IF the second socket is available for another cpu. Within 6 months the 2.8 ghz penryn cpu will drop in price making it reasonably economical to add 4 more cores to your machine if you feel the need to do so.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

If that looks like what you need, go for it.

The Mac Pro in any configuration is a sweet machine.

Thanks, that one looks good enough for me, and I'll get the NVIDIA 8800 GT graphics card. Also, I'll wait for MWSF before ordering. Who knows, but Apple may have yet another Mac that I need to consider.

• Reply 24 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think this is a great way to go IF the second socket is available for another cpu. Within 6 months the 2.8 ghz penryn cpu will drop in price making it reasonably economical to add 4 more cores to your machine if you feel the need to do so.

Can you even do that with a Mac Pro? Apple has never been keen on the whole upgrade-your-CPU thing.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

The case has been thoroughly redesigned as you will find out the minute you pop it open.

Did you get one Amorph? It sounds like you have first hand info.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Can you even do that with a Mac Pro? Apple has never been keen on the whole upgrade-your-CPU thing.

We don't know yet. I'm sure a tech website will do a tear down so we'll find out.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Did you get one Amorph? It sounds like you have first hand info.

I don't have one personally, but I can vouch for that statement.

The Mac Pro is way more than I need.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Are you chafing against the speed of your G5? Do you find yourself taking so many coffee breaks that your limbs spasm uncontrollably? Would it make a substantial difference to you to get a much faster machine?

If so, get the new Mac Pro. It will run rings around your G5. The case has been thoroughly redesigned as you will find out the minute you pop it open. (Apple kept their external hardware redesigns through the Intel transition to send a message that it was a smooth transition rather than a highly disruptive change.) It's a great piece of kit at a good price, and if something comes along within the next year you should have no trouble getting a good price for it.

If you're basically happy with the G5 then maybe consider getting a used Mac Pro?

Thanks Amorph. Oh, I have no doubt that the G5 will be far surpassed by the new Mac Pros. I am, indeed, itching to make the upgrade but my mind wanders to what is in store with Blu-Ray, a new FireWire standard, an even newer fast processor scheme, etc. Maybe Steve will have some new configurations of Mac Pros to discuss at MacWorld.

SNazz123
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snazz123 View Post

Thanks Amorph. Oh, I have no doubt that the G5 will be far surpassed by the new Mac Pros. I am, indeed, itching to make the upgrade but my mind wanders to what is in store with Blu-Ray, a new FireWire standard, an even newer fast processor scheme, etc. Maybe Steve will have some new configurations of Mac Pros to discuss at MacWorld.

FW 3200 is just now coming out of gestation. I wouldn't expect it too soon. Blu-Ray you can always buy aftermarket and slap into one of the Pro's optical drive bays, so I don't see that as an issue. Faster processors are inevitable, but they're also fairly uninteresting unless you're jumping multiple generations.

I'd put the odds of anything Mac Pro related (except possibly for new displays) at MacWorld to be somewhere near nil. The Pro is not a Big Picture machine or an innovative design, it's a behind-the-scenes workhorse. But since MWSF is coming right up, you can probably sit tight for a week or so and be sure.

If FW3200 comes out within the next year you could trade in your Mac Pro... or maybe you have a slot free?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I have to agree with Amorph and not because I already ordered mine either, everything but a display that is. I started pricing Blu Ray drives, and Media, and they are both still infantile. The media is about $14.00 for a cheap 25GB write once disk, and the drives are still $400.00, and not only is that a lot, but they are only 2x write speed which is a problem because if any of you had an original 2x write superdrive, and used it often, you'd know that at that speed the continuous heat for that length of time caused so many breakdowns on those drives it wasn't even funny. And that was only writing 4GB of material. Imagine how long that drive is going to last writing 25GB, and 50GB disks. I'm not even getting a Blu Ray burner until they are at 8x write speed. I've had to replace 4x DVD burners too many times too. Writing 4GB on a 2x drive use to take over an hour and a half. 25GB? I'm not even going to attempt that.

I don't expect FW 3200 until probably NAB, or WWDC 2009.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    FW3200 will be here this year. However, both it and Blu-Ray can be added later.

Those aren't good reasons to delay a Mac Pro purchase.

I was simply saying that had those two improvements made it to this upgrade, we'd be so far ahead of everyone else that the upgrade would have automatically been a "Must Have" purchase.

I am surprised that so many have pushed the button on the Mac Pro already though. For me, prudence demands that I wait until I see exactly what Steve has in his grab bag on Tuesday, before I jump into a purchase that will take me out of the market for a few years.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I was simply saying that had those two improvements made it to this upgrade, we'd be so far ahead of everyone else that the upgrade would have automatically been a "Must Have" purchase.

I am surprised that so many have pushed the button on the Mac Pro already though. For me, prudence demands that I wait until I see exactly what Steve has in his grab bag on Tuesday, before I jump into a purchase that will take me out of the market for a few years.

It depends on if your a work requires an extremely powerful workstation or not. The workstation is not going to upgraded again 10 days later. I 'm sure I have nothing to fear. If they release a true desktop, xMac, or Cube thing that still wouldn't change my purchase needs. It's not going to out do the Mac Pro in expandability or graphics. The one thing I didn't purchase was a display. If Apple releases one I will get it. If not I'll get a used one off ebay. Laptops are not what I need, nor are TV's, or iPods. If Apple releases a new 3G iPhone that I will buy to replace my existing one, but I have no doubts that there was no reason for a person in need of a Mac pro should wait. I mean think about it. The wait for my configuration is 3 to 5 weeks now. If people are waiting until after MacWorld to buy the wait on one is just going to be that much longer. I've waited long enough.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

It depends on if your a work requires an extremely powerful workstation or not. The workstation is not going to upgraded again 10 days later. I 'm sure I have nothing to fear. If they release a true desktop, xMac, or Cube thing that still wouldn't change my purchase needs. It's not going to out do the Mac Pro in expandability or graphics. The one thing I didn't purchase was a display. If Apple releases one I will get it. If not I'll get a used one off ebay. Laptops are not what I need, nor are TV's, or iPods. If Apple releases a new 3G iPhone that I will buy to replace my existing one, but I have no doubts that there was no reason for a person in need of a Mac pro should wait. I mean think about it. The wait for my configuration is 3 to 5 weeks now. If people are waiting until after MacWorld to buy the wait on one is just going to be that much longer. I've waited long enough.

Ditto -- I ordered two the day they came out (two of the 8-core 2.8's with the 8800's -- so wait time for me) -- everything else is just fun (and I have an MBP already). If there is a great @TV -- cool, I can pick one up, or anything else. And I guess, if for some weird reason they do add a new MP, I can change my order. Seemed too nice a machine to pass up (and one will be for home, so I can play with it -- a true headless mac).
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Onlooker and Frank777 - Thanks to you both for giving me some real perspective on the Blu-Ray speed issues, expense of discs, the future FW3200 standard, etc. I realize there is always a reason to wait for the next big thing but it is often harder to decide when to "pull the trigger." As you both say, neither technology - Blu-Ray and FW3200 - is a reason to postpone anything. And the premium on an "in-its-infancy" slow-speed Blu-Ray is high. I like your thinking Onlooker and Frank777: These things can be added later when prices come down and performance goes up. Your input - and a supportive wife (!) - have got me thinking more about the "now" for a Mac Pro purchase. Thanks to you and other folks for the reality check!

SNazz123
  • Reply 35 of 40
    The 1394 Trade Association announcement said that Firewire 3200 was to be ratified in February 2008.

We're approaching the middle of March.

Anyone heard anything? I would imagine that since FW3200 uses the same cables and connectors as the 800 version, Apple could incorporate the new standard into the Mac Pro very quickly if they wanted to.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I waith for the Nehalem, then my old G4 will become a backupserver....

CPU Nehalem octacore, hyperthread

IMC

standard RAM

A lot of other new stuff
  • Reply 37 of 40
    If I had the money, I'd get the single-CPU quad core model with an 8800GT and a couple more gigs of third-party RAM. Yeah.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

I waith for the Nehalem, then my old G4 will become a backupserver....

CPU Nehalem octacore, hyperthread

IMC

standard RAM

A lot of other new stuff

It sure will.

With true next gen gpus.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    That's...ahem...very nice. Now anyone know the status of FW3200?

Has it been ratified or is agreement on the new standard being held up by any technicalities?
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Going to the 1394 Trade Association website, I see there's a product seminar and showcase being held in China on April 10.

So I'm guessing we'll have word by then.