Adobe Photoshop 8.0 to target digital photography, video

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The next major upgrade to Adobe's industry-leading graphics editing software, Photoshop, is set to ship in the fourth quarter of 2003. This year will see the release of Photoshop 8.0, code-named "Dark Matter," and ImageReady 8.0, code-named "Taconite." ImageReady will remain a standalone application.

With this forthcoming release, Adobe is targeting the video and digital photography markets. However, its feature set is still subject to change. The Mac OS X version of the new Photoshop will require v10.2, Jaguar.

Specific updates will include: NTSC/PAL/HD preview choices to compliment the existing CMYK Preview, a Histogram palette, nested layer sets, and text on a path. Photoshop 8 will also include "filter layers," allowing for non-destructive image editing and manipulations, similar to Adobe After Effects' adjustment layers.

The upgrade will also have tweaked 16-bit support, improved ability to work with non-square pixels, and significantly optimized and cleaned-up code on both the Mac and Windows side. Sources also noted that Adobe is working to leverage its PDF tools and functionality into just about all of its applications, across-the-board.

Additionally, nearly every other Adobe application is also set for an upgrade in the latter half of this year. This includes Illustrator, After Effects 6, and InDesign 3. In the case of InDesign 3, code-named "Dragontail," the release is specifically targeted for August or September. Dragontail is currently at or near pre-release build number 195.

copied without permission from <a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/"; target="_blank">Think Secret</a>

looks good. what do you think about it ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Any reason for copying the article instead of just linking to it?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's cool how they know that far out ahead. That'll be a neat upgrade. Also, the other stuff (Illustrator and all) slated for updates as well.

Remember, about a year or so ago, when everyone was super worried that Adobe was dropping the ball, in regards to OS X? At the time, they didn't have InDesign or Photoshop in OS X versions and Illustrator was VERY clunky and buggy.

People were, as I recall, talking of moving to Macromedia and, in some extreme cases, migrating to Windows altogether. I was confident that they, as much (or even more) than anyone, knew where their bread was buttered and would eventually come through in shining fashion.

I certainly think they have and really appreciate the work they've done over the past year, regarding OS X. Adobe isn't going anywhere.

The Mac-using community wouldn't allow it.

I kept saying "I'd rather they get it right and good than simply have 'first out of the gate' bragging rights".

I look forward to Photoshop 8 (and everything else).
  • Reply 3 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    PS 8.0 doesn't look like it will be a "must have" for publishers like me. But what surprises me is InDesign. I had figured ID3.0 would be out BEFORE MWNY, so that the Carbon Quark would be eating its dust....
  • Reply 4 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    InDesign might be targeted at Seybold seminars around the timeline mentioned.

Aside from the film/video color handling, it sounds like they're getting a bit desperate to justify a full version upgrade. I'm not criticizing them, it's a pretty complete package as it is. It just gets harder to add significant stuff after a while. (It's also just the nature of consumer capitalism.)
  • Reply 5 of 14
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Adobe must have a sense of humor. Taconite is low grade iron ore, its the stuff they used to throw away before the high-grade ore ran out. Takes a ridiculous amount of rock to produce a tiny taconite pellet.

[quote]significantly optimized and cleaned-up code on both the Mac and Windows side<hr></blockquote>Its about time. Rumor has it that more Adobe apps will finally get multi-processor support and that more apps will take advantage of Altivec like PS--not that PS is exactly an Altivec poster child.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Would they be able to do without the superfluous buffering in Mac versions of their apps?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    They've acknowledged the triple buffering issues in the Illustrator support forum. The latest patcher--v10.0.3 seems to have solved many of the window redraw issues and has sped up performance (for smaller files at least), though I/O with regard to file writes and reads still sucks. The real performance issue for Illustrator seems tobe the switch to the PDF display and file format in v9.

Don't spend enough time in other Adobe apps to judge, except to say that InDesign is slow.

Wish they would fix the UI and use bog-standard UI widgets instead of rolling their own.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

<strong>Wish they would fix the UI and use bog-standard UI widgets instead of rolling their own.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No kidding. At this point, everyone can see that Aqua can be a good-looking interface and can has useful new behaviors and elements. Adobe seems rather insistent that their OS 7/Windows-inspired UI is what's best for Mac users.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    the Desktop Video Revolution is this century's Desktop Publishing Revolution.

i , for one, am eagerly anticipating the NTSC/PAL/HD video functionality in PS and will snap it up immediately upon it's release specifically for that functionality as will many other digital media producers.

i'm psyched. i wish it were available right now. i could use it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    ps8 sounds a much more interesting update than ps7 which was pretty much garbage feature wise, only worth getting for mac users because of ths osxability. I mean 7 it was like "WOWZA HEALING BRUSH AND FILE BROWZARRRRRRRRRRR" oh hurrah. But i'll wait fro ps 9 or 10 seen as I bought ps 7 a few months back.

Although I think adobe just like to release new versions yearly because they're the cash grabbing types, although I am pleased with the performance of ps7 and i10
  • Reply 11 of 14
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I wonder if this means the debugging code will finally be removed from Photoshop?!

BTW, ThinkSecret is a sound source but their dates aren't always spot-on. Their first Director MX story indicated a spring 2003 release (I think - "Q1" maybe?). It's already out, as we all know....

I think the release schedule this year will go as follows: ID 3, AI 11, PS8 - but that's just me.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>Any reason for copying the article instead of just linking to it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I work for a visual effects/design company in Hollywood and for the most part all the guys at work, including yours truely, are excited about what features were brought up by ThinkSecret. Hopefully everything that was mentioned will actually show up.

I have been waiting for funtionality like that for sometime.

I agree that PS 7 was a ok upgrade but we use the healing brush often enough to make that alone worth the upgrade.

PS 8 seems to be much more worth it, I have and always will have faith in products that Adobe releases.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    dual processor versions of stuff just in time for the single 64bit processors

i love photoshop