has anyone seen this picture "mac nano"?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

I bought my iPod Shuffle on impulse. :P

Heh, so did I. I bet a lot of people did.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

No, the host just doesn't allow hotlinking.

I've copied to my iDisk, so here it is:

[/img]

Damn that looks perfect, exactly what I want in an apple portable but it is a little on the big side. I'd prefer an 11" screen.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I have been itching to buy one of these...

Asus Eee PC 701 Their website is a little slow, maybe because it is a very hot item.

Specs: 7" LCD Display / 1024MB|512MB / 2GB|4GB|8GB flash drive / 802.11b,g / Webcam / Linux-OS / Durable, shock-proof solid-state / 2lbs / Over 40 built-in applications

Review on Laptop web site.

Reason? It's cheap ($299 start) and very portable. I would hook this up with my digital camera and use it as a editor and web uploader for the images. Yeah, the screen is small (they will be coming out with a 10" soon) but I need an affordable mini-laptop.

I'll wait and see if Apple will come out with one. But price/features would be the only factor in buying theirs.

I've been heavily eyeing the eee too. At that price I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere, if apple released a similar machine I'd cry and buy 2, then an imac. If their ultraportable is more eee like apple stands to make a lot of money off me this year.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John5481 View Post

Actually, I think a lot of people will go for the Asus EeePc over the new MacPort [MP], especially since Asus just announced larger screens. I heard that Asus might be supplying the parts or doing the construction of the MacPort but I have not had that confirmed independently so I do not know if it is in fact, true.

The EeePc is about one-fourth (and less, depending on the model) of the rumored $1,500. price of the MP and it is in very high demand. Moreover, it affords ultraconvenience in every way. Part of me wants to believe that Mr. Jobs kept a careful watch on the consumer response to the EeePc as one of several reasons to introduce his new subnotebook. The Asus EeePc signals the death of the hard drive as we know it and will ever know it.

Incidentally, I am very pleased with the Macbook that I purchased in late September (yes, just several weeks BEFORE Leopard was released, sigh!)

However, in today's world, ultraportability is the new inconvenient truth to manufacturers who will not produce subnotebooks. That the Asus EeePc's sales continue to surge might (and probably will) overshadow the introduction of the new Apple MacPort.

If Mr. Jobs truly wants to start a revolution, however "unrealistic" this might seem to be to the execs at Apple who determine prices, he would price the new MacPort at $800. and then charge $150.+ for all those external accessories that we take for granted on the typical laptops we enjoy.

In today's economy, I would advise him that, yes, consumers ARE moving in droves away from the Windows environment BUT ultimately they want ultraconvenience at an affordable price point. That is evidenced by the EeePc phenomenon.

To my mind, the thinking consumer recognizes that ultimately, they are NOT buying a computer but an operating system. However, faced with a $400. Asus subnotebook product and the acclaimed OSX at around $1,500., many Apple loyalists and enthusiasts might retain their Macbooks and opt for the affordable Asus. I, for one, will eagerly track how many opt to purchase the MacPort.

I would hate for the MacPort to be discontinued in two years or less because in the real world, money sometimes talks louder than operating systems, however superior they are.

I appreciate all the responses on my initial post. In today's world, however, precision of thought and communicating in ways that do not smack of double entendre are crucial if human beings are going to be understood, appreciated, and valued.

I do agree that there is potential here for apple to have another ipod level phenomenon if they were to follow in the eee footsteps. Everyone getting a small computer with osx for the price of an iphone would really help get the full osx experience out there, drive up safari's internet useage, bring up apple market share. Apple could move tons.

But you still haven't apologized to Tonton for misreading his sig, you can't make a bold statement like that and then just brush over it like you never said it.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Note: model not included.

That computer does look sweet.

Come on, Apple...

That design was ripped off Sony. Vaio TX series.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post

That design was ripped off Sony. Vaio TX series.

Perhaps, but there are two key points to consider:

1. It is a nice looking design, ripped off or not.

2. Sony never built one this inexpensive
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I do agree that there is potential here for apple to have another ipod level phenomenon if they were to follow in the eee footsteps. Everyone getting a small computer with osx for the price of an iphone would really help get the full osx experience out there, drive up safari's internet useage, bring up apple market share. Apple could move tons.

But you still haven't apologized to Tonton for misreading his sig, you can't make a bold statement like that and then just brush over it like you never said it.

I did not misread his sig-- obviously you missed my point about the statement having a double entendre feel about it-- it can be interpreted either way, as evidenced by another poster who supported what I indeed said (or did you conveniently edit that out of your memory?)

And while we are on the topic of justice, I see that you are not offended at all that I was accused of being a "troll" and only posting to respond to his sig. Obviously, the fact that you responded to and commented on at length to my points refutes [I]that[I] poster's slander.

Lastly, it's unfortunate (& sad) that you found my original post "bold" when it is simply true, one short example being that the divorce rate is indeed at 53%.

You remind me of the gentleman who apologized to the Vice-President for embarrassing the Vice-President when it was the Vice-President who shot him!
  • Reply 48 of 58
    I don't Know, to me 13" screen just doesn't seem ULTRA-Portable.

I'd say, speaking strictly off of opinion, A 7 or 8" model and a 10-inch model is all that is needed. Starting at $500, i don't know how feasible it is but the rumors of $1500+ just doesn't flow right in my mind. Pretty much what im saying is a Mac Mini equivalent laptop. I like the design of the one pictured although i think that trackpad is overkill, and the way the clickbar (or what ever) just in the middle kinda floating there just looks silly.

Okay im done. Here's hopes for another awesome MacWorld!!!

-M@REBS
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Quote:

I did not misread his sig-- obviously you missed my point about the statement having a double entendre feel about it-- it can be interpreted either way, as evidenced by another poster who supported what I indeed said (or did you conveniently edit that out of your memory?)

How can it be interpreted either way? Really, I'd like to know.

It clearly implies that if you do not think that marriage is (just) between a man and a woman, then you should be free to marry a man if you're a man and a woman if you're a woman. You're just making excuses for your poor reading comprehension.

1. I am pro-same-sex marriage.

2. You are pro-same-sex marriage.

3. My signature is pro-same-sex marriage.

So what the hell are we arguing about? If you really like, we can bring this over to PO or continue the argument via PM.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    I am hundred percent sure that what will be revealed, if anything at all, will not have been seen by anyone in the world apart from thirty odd people inside Apple, who are kept quiet by kidnapping their families.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Heh, so did I. I bet a lot of people did.

I did too. In a Toys R Us. In France. On the way back from Holland. No, really. At 13:37. You can't make this stuff up

Anyway, as to the MacBook Nano picture at the beginning of the thread...That's the coolest thing I've ever seen. Currently I'm buying a MacBook in June. If that's really what Apple are announcing on Tuesday then I'm probably gonna have to get it instead. Cos...Damn. It's niiiiice
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Listen, I know this isn't real because they aren't calling it the macbook nano. that sounds retarded, and totally rips from the ipod line.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WindowChicken View Post

Listen, I know this isn't real because they aren't calling it the macbook nano. that sounds retarded, and totally rips from the ipod line.

And Mac Mini wasn't a "rip" from iPod Mini?
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WindowChicken View Post

Creative was the FIRST company to come out with the "Nano" name; it called one of its MP3 players the Creative Zen Nano and then there was the Zen Nano Plus. Creative might have even sued Apple over its appropriating the trademarked Nano name, at least that is what I had heard but I never got that confirmed.

Calling the new mac a "nano" confuses concepts and in my mind it does not "tell" me anything. I would prefer they call it the PortaMac or the MacPort or the TravelMac or the TravAMac".
  • Reply 55 of 58
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Personally, "MacBook mini" sounds more in tune with Apple's current line. Then, you have the Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro on the desktop side, and the MacBook mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro... "mini" being the portable or low-end suffix, and "Pro" being the high-end suffix.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Creative was the FIRST company to come out with the "Nano" name; it called one of its MP3 players the Creative Zen Nano and then there was the Zen Nano Plus. Creative might have even sued Apple over its appropriating the trademarked Nano name, at least that is what I had heard but I never got that confirmed.

Calling the new mac a "nano" confuses concepts and in my mind it does not "tell" me anything. I would prefer they call it the PortaMac or the MacPort or the TravelMac or the TravAMac".

Wikipedia doesn't agree with you. It says the iPod nano was released 7 Sept 2005 while the Zen nano was released on 1 Jun 2006.

Looks more like Creative were trying to cash in on the nano name than what you suggest.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:

Those names are terrible and not in the least bit Mac-like. PortaMac sounds like a horrible kind of public convenience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Personally, "MacBook mini" sounds more in tune with Apple's current line. Then, you have the Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro on the desktop side, and the MacBook mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro... "mini" being the portable or low-end suffix, and "Pro" being the high-end suffix.

The Mac Mini is due for replacement. It would likely be renamed Mac Nano