Sources: Apple Newton-tablet not ripe for Macworld

Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is the question. Such a machine won't come until Silverthorne and frankly that would be a shame. On the other hand some of the best ARM platforms going aren't out yet either. So maybe the technology world isn't quite ready for Newton 2.

Note: I see as a minimal requirement of 1 GHz performance on a 32 bit platform to deliver the type of Newton experience I'm looking for. Basically a Newton with very flexible RF communications. Frankly I'm not concerned about object code compatibility with i86 but I suspect Apple is, thus the wait on Intel.

The other thing is the plans already in place. That is the SDK debut in February, this being planned well in advance could be indications that more is planned around that time then a simple SDK. A SDK could easily be a foot note at something like MWSF, instead the SDK arrival is planned to be in isolation. The question of course is why. {speculations}Maybe Intel and Apple will debut Silverthorne together{/speculation} Intel could really use the splash that Apple is so good at delivering.

Dave
  • Reply 42 of 160
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just don't understand the appeal of a full sized tablet.
  • Reply 43 of 160
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

Only hundreds?

This is quite possible. The last time Apple worked on a tablet they released a phone.

Good point. I have my hopes on the 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 160
    The lack of a Newton 2 at MWSF isn't a major problem - at least for the market. Right now Apple needs to be focused on enhancing the iPhone/touch ranges and a bump in memory will go a long way for me. The SDK is the key for additional products and apps that developers come up with over the next 6 to 12 months will do more to drive demand than simply announcing another product.

Let's face it - Apple's goal of selling 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008 is still the top priority and I think that they will continue to focus on that for now.
  • Reply 45 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Let's face it - Apple's goal of selling 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008 is still the top priority and I think that they will continue to focus on that for now.

I agree that Apple is focused on surpassing its iPhone goal which means enticing more buyers.. I think we will see a new iPhone with 16GB NAND and possibly some other HW improvements. For example, 3.2MP camera, camera flash and slighter higher resolution display.

I don't think we'll hear about a 3G iPhone unless it's ready to ship after the FCC gives the thumbs up. I do a new iPhone OS version and an SDK will take up considerable keynote time. I have been reading complaints that MacWorld isn't focusing on Macs. This event for consumer products, which the iPhone and iPods clearly fall into. WHomever doesn't like it can write Cupertino and request something different like, the Apple Consumer Products Bonanza (ACPB).
  • Reply 46 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

The lack of a Newton 2 at MWSF isn't a major problem - at least for the market. Right now Apple needs to be focused on enhancing the iPhone/touch ranges and a bump in memory will go a long way for me. The SDK is the key for additional products and apps that developers come up with over the next 6 to 12 months will do more to drive demand than simply announcing another product.

I don't know exactly what a Newton II, or whatever, would be, and as no one else does either, the speculation we all have is very much up in the air.

I wonder what it would compete against. If it's the UMOC's, those sales are very low. I forget, but either 300,000 UMPC's were sols all last year, or last quarter. If last year, then there IS no market. If last quarter, then the market is there, but very small.

If this is wearable, then Apple could make a market, especially if it had WiFi, or WiMax.

If, somehow, Apple added phone service, then it could really take over.

Now, if Apple DID add phone service, but didn't call it an iPhone, I wnder if it could get around the contracts Apple has with their current cell partners.

Nah! That's just a dream.
  • Reply 47 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree that Apple is focused on surpassing its iPhone goal which means enticing more buyers.. I think we will see a new iPhone with 16GB NAND and possibly some other HW improvements. For example, 3.2MP camera, camera flash and slighter higher resolution display.

I don't think we'll hear about a 3G iPhone unless it'll be ready to ship after the FCC gives the thumbs up. I do a new iPhone OS version and an SDK will take up considerable keynote time. I have been reading complaints that MacWorld isn't focusing on Macs. This event for consumer products, which the iPhone and iPods clearly fall into. WHomever doesn't like it can write Cupertino and request something different like, the Apple Consumer Products Bonanza (ACPB).

I'm not so sure. Remember that Jobs said they talked about the iPhone so that we wouldn't hear about it first from the FCC. I'm not really certain that the FCC is allowed to conceal which products it's working on, going by that, even though, apparently, it's allowed to withhold some of the feature set upon request from the manufacturer.

If so, then we would hear about this phone possibly 3 months before approval anyway. I can't see Jobs allowing that to happen.
  • Reply 48 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not so sure. Remember that Jobs said they talked about the iPhone so that we wouldn't hear about it first from the FCC. I'm not really certain that the FCC is allowed to conceal which products it's working on, going by that, even though, apparently, it's allowed to withhold some of the feature set upon request from the manufacturer.

If so, then we would hear about this phone possibly 3 months before approval anyway. I can't see Jobs allowing that to happen.

What I meant by "I don't think we'll hear about a 3G iPhone unless it's ready to ship after the FCC gives the thumbs up." is that 'if' Jobs does announce a 3G iPhone at MW'08 then the completed paperwork will be submitted that morning to the FCC and the Chinese factories will be just about ready to ship product. In other words, Apple cannot have it's customers wait 6 months between new iPhone models since they already have a product on the market whose sales would be severely hurt by the delay.
  • Reply 49 of 160
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I do.
  • Reply 50 of 160
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

You're not alone. There's more exciting things Steve could announce. Like a slim notebook. Dammit, I want my slim notebook.
  • Reply 51 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

You're not alone. There's more exciting things Steve could announce. Like a slim notebook. Dammit, I want my slim notebook.

Me too. I am looking forward to getting rid of my FatBook in favour of a ThinBook.
  • Reply 52 of 160
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Me neither. A thin light MacBook will serve the same purpose, IMO. It could have cell technology built in and function much like a big iPhone, if that's what people want. I can't really imagine a Mac without a keyboard.
  • Reply 53 of 160
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Me neither. A thin light MacBook will serve the same purpose, IMO. It could have cell technology built in and function much like a big iPhone, if that's what people want. I can't really imagine a Mac without a keyboard.

That's the void the keyboard/optical drive docking station would fill, and the combination of the two make for a complete subnotebook solution.

Sitting around the house, watching tv, you can use the tablet for surfing the web, checking email & video iChats (live from the upstairs bathroom?!). Out & about, you 'snap' on the keyboard section, and you not only have a subnotebook, but a convertible AND a slate tablet all in one?

Sweet?!
  • Reply 54 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Sitting around the house, watching tv, you can use the tablet for surfing the web, checking email & video iChats (live from the upstairs bathroom…!). Out & about, you 'snap' on the keyboard section, and you not only have a subnotebook, but a convertible AND a slate tablet all in one…

Maybe I'm ignorant but I just don't get it. Sounds complicated.

A thin, light (and cool!) notebook-laptop with keyboard is perfect for surfing around the house. How would a tablet be better? I'd think the best use of a tablet is in circumstances where you have to be standing up, and can't easily open up a notebook-style computer. In other situations, you want the keyboard horizontal at your fingertips with the screen vertical and facing you.

A dock-like device with a screen, much like an iMac, would be very useful for the iPhone and iPod touch to dock with. I don't see Apple making another portable device other than those, if it's not a notebook. Keep in mind that iPhones/iPods are only going to get more powerful and full-featured in the near future. Docking them with big screens makes sense.
  • Reply 55 of 160
    Quote:

A slim notebook is more exciting? That is Apple just playing catch up to the many thin slim notebooks in the PC world. A minor re-engineering exercize for Apple to copy Sony or Toshiba. Don't get me wrong, Apple should have a "slim" notebook. But we are comparing apple and oranges here. A tablet is not a notebook! They have different functions. Apple is developing an important and revolutionary new touch user interface for portable computers. And the iPhone has shown us that they are extremely popular! Touch interfaces work best on tablet form factors, not notebooks. The iPhone/iPod Touch do not have big enough screens to adequately browse the internet or watch the latest iTunes rental movie. Let the MacTouch happen and you will see the excitement happen!
  • Reply 56 of 160
    When I got my first video iPod, I thought I would occasionally watch video on it. I tried it only once.

Unlike with a laptop, which has a screen on a hinge, you have to hold the iPod in a vertical position with one or both hands, constantly, in order to watch video. It gets uncomfortable after about five minutes. I suspect it would be the same (awkward) to do much surfing or watching video on a tablet Mac. I just can't see it, and I wouldn't buy one.

I think Apple's development money would be better spent on a mid-range tower Mac and new MacBook Pros, than on a tablet.
  • Reply 57 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

When I got my first video iPod, I thought I would occasionally watch video on it. I tried it only once.

Unlike with a laptop, which has a screen on a hinge, you have to hold the iPod in a vertical position with one or both hands, constantly, in order to watch video. It gets uncomfortable after about five minutes. I suspect it would be the same (awkward) to do much surfing or watching video on a tablet Mac. I just can't see it, and I wouldn't buy one.

I think Apple's development money would be better spent on a mid-range tower Mac and new MacBook Pros, than on a tablet.

Ultra-light, ultra-sexy, ultra-thin, ultra-portable, with a new buttonless, easy-to-use revolutionary UI that can change for every app. If you want to do some tying you could either do it on your lap or pop-out the little rest on the back and type while the Mac touch rest at around 15 degrees on a desk or table. And because it's so light and slim you can take it anywhere with you. It's no iPod touch and you won't be using it one-handed walking around. Just like you don't with your notebook now.
  • Reply 58 of 160
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

While I don't see a need for full size tablets as being real heavy I do see a need for a line up of devices. Besides I don't see where mention of Newton 2 implies a full sized tablet.

At the smaller scale the need is really great. Here we are talking about a device 1.2 to 1.75 times the size of the TOUCH. The goal here is a multi platform device that can handle higher resolution video. This sort of device is especially needed if Apple really does move forward with movie rentals. The problem being simply the lack of resolution on the TOUCH or iPhone. Being multipurpose though this sort of device could cover for a lot of things, PDA, Cell, Internet Tablet, Storage device, hand held computer and whatever.

While I agree that the form factor becomes less and less compelling as size increases, at the smaller end of the scale there is almost an infinite demand for differently appointed devices. That is with what is available software wise now. Add in Movies and other services rumored and demand could explode.

Dave
  • Reply 59 of 160
    The thing is, people aren't imagining a tablet as a replacement computer. Here is what I mean...

I bought a new iMac a year ago (last one before they went aluminum). I have realized lately though I would like a laptop because I would like to be able to write while I was out, or on my bed, or sitting on my couch. In other words, being more comfortable while I work. Yet, I still have a great computer and REALLY don't need a second one.

What I (and I bet a lot of people with desktops) need is something portable that is an extension of their current computer. Something small but powerful enough to run OSX, iWork and iLife. I bet Apple would include bluetooth in there and you could pair a keyboard with it (keeping it in the laptop bag and bringing it out when I need it would be easy). As an artist, if it was strong enough to run photoshop and had a pen in addition to multitouch (I get the image of drawing with the pen, then pinching to zoom in, then adding detail, then rotating the canvas in real time for a different angle). That one is a bit of a stretch I know but it would be something for the artists, but the multitouch would be for most people.

It would, in essence, be like a large PDA that you synched with your home computer. "Portability for desktop users"
  • Reply 60 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

The thing is, people aren't imagining a tablet as a replacement computer. Here is what I mean...

I bought a new iMac a year ago (last one before they went aluminum). I have realized lately though I would like a laptop because I would like to be able to write while I was out, or on my bed, or sitting on my couch. In other words, being more comfortable while I work. Yet, I still have a great computer and REALLY don't need a second one.

What I (and I bet a lot of people with desktops) need is something portable that is an extension of their current computer. Something small but powerful enough to run OSX, iWork and iLife. I bet Apple would include bluetooth in there and you could pair a keyboard with it (keeping it in the laptop bag and bringing it out when I need it would be easy). As an artist, if it was strong enough to run photoshop and had a pen in addition to multitouch (I get the image of drawing with the pen, then pinching to zoom in, then adding detail, then rotating the canvas in real time for a different angle). That one is a bit of a stretch I know but it would be something for the artists, but the multitouch would be for most people.

It would, in essence, be like a large PDA that you synched with your home computer. "Portability for desktop users"

Gosh, you should talk to Ireland, I hear you think alike. I have being saying that for months now. Target it at desktop users! Though my tag-line was, and kind of still is "Take some work with you."