Leaked Air Photo?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I updated the post with the original mockups… hard to believe this was 3 years ago and now we have Time Capsule with 802.11N.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    so this is an Apple NAS drive or some Apple branded hard drive to be used in conjunction with Airport Extreme?
  • Reply 2 of 69
    Clever tagline.

How did you find that picture? All I could find on that public iDisk were some ad mockups.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    It's an 802.11N network drive.

-dual 500GB or dual 1TB drives (RAID 1)

-Wifi only

-Works with Time Machine

-UPnP Server

-Any Apple wifi device automatically recognizes it on the network (Bonjour) and can stream/sync media with it

-AppleTV can stream from it

-iTunes and iPhoto can use it to store their libraries on it

-You can access it from anywhere (via the internet ala your .mac account)
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

It's an 802.11N network drive.

-dual 500GB or dual 1TB drives (RAID 1)

-Wifi only

-Works with Time Machine

-UPnP Server

-Any Apple wifi device automatically recognizes it on the network (Bonjour) and can stream/sync media with it

-AppleTV can stream from it

-iTunes and iPhoto can use it to store their libraries on it

-You can access it from anywhere (via the internet ala your .mac account)

Price?

Is this a figment of your Photoshop imagination?
  • Reply 5 of 69
    $399 for 500GB

$499 for 1TB
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Clever tagline.

How did you find that picture? All I could find on that public iDisk were some ad mockups.

I have connections....
  • Reply 7 of 69
    Quote:

$399 for 500GB

$499 for 1TB

$499 for a wireless NAS with 2 1TB drives in it seems (too) cheap?!

Limited to RAID 1? Can't use RAID 0 and risk the data?

Real, or not, I'd like one.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

$499 for a wireless NAS with 2 1TB drives in it seems (too) cheap?!

Limited to RAID 1? Can't use RAID 0 and risk the data?

Real, or not, I'd like one.

There really is no configuration. It only has a power-cord and you configure it with the appropriate application.

Super super simple redundant backup for our "digital life".
  • Reply 9 of 69
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Not alot of consumer appeal here.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Not alot of consumer appeal here.

Are you serious?

You know how many people walk into the Apple store everyday and have lost their photo and music collections due to hard drive failure?
  • Reply 11 of 69
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    This explains why Apple dropped Airport disk support from TimeMachine just before Leopard went RTM. That is sort of annoying.

Having said that, this will do pretty well, I think. Network drives are a quickly growing segment in the consumer space. Having said that, I find using USB drives connected to my AirportExtreme to be almost unusable. It is slow and large file transfers almost always cack out before the copy is done. I am also no sure of the benefit of building in Wifi to the disk itself. The disk just has to be on the network to be accessible by any computers on the network, so why limit it to being only being connected wirelessly, when it would be a more stable and faster connection to plug it into the switch or router.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Makes sense for it to use 2.5" hard drives now that 250GB, 320GB, 400GB + 500GB capacities are shipping or available soon.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Just what we needed... some more Hot-Air...
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Quote:

You know how many people walk into the Apple store everyday and have lost their photo and music collections due to hard drive failure?

No, how many?
  • Reply 15 of 69
    Eh, that's nice. Looks like a neat product, I'm sure Apple could do a NAS device very well.

Hardly worthy of being "One more thing..." though.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:

Hmmm, but is this banner worthy? Doesn't seem that impactful.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Man, I would be all over that like stink on a bug!
  • Reply 18 of 69
    this would be great. I've been wondering where the internet streaming has been for a long time. not just for iphone but for notebooks too. travel with a small amount of data and leave the rest on your "server" back home. A 16/32 GB SSD wouldn't be so painful if you had ready access to 1 TB
  • Reply 19 of 69
    sorta odd that the photo is actually of a photoshop window with this graphic in it. if this were something that were going to press they most likely wouldn't have placed the type in the layout in photoshop.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

sorta odd that the photo is actually of a photoshop window with this graphic in it. if this were something that were going to press they most likely wouldn't have placed the type in the layout in photoshop.

i was thinking the same thing, but maybe they opened it in PS? Then again it's called "Untitled-2."

Also if it was an Apple product wouldn't it have some sort of logo on it? it's not always the case but generally.