New here, need advice please

3m33m3
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Powermac G5 with duo 2 processors and 3gigs of memory. But I don't have dual layer DVD burner. Is there a way to swap the internal DVD burner I have with a dual layer capable one? Or what is the best way to accomplish this? External? Which? I am running Leopard by the way.

I also want to transfer some VHS tapes I have into DVD format. Thanks a lot in advance for the advice I might get here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Welcome to AI!

You would be best of posting this in the 'Current Hardware' section or the 'Genius Bar' sections. You will get way more results that way as this area is reserved for speculation as to the announcements at Macworld next week.

What you propose can be done easily, and I'm sure people will be glad to help when this is posted in the other forums!

Take care,

Marcus

(Might want to see if this has been answered on Macnn.com too)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M3 View Post

I have a Powermac G5 with duo 2 processors and 3gigs of memory. But I don't have dual layer DVD burner. Is there a way to swap the internal DVD burner I have with a dual layer capable one? Or what is the best way to accomplish this? External? Which? I am running Leopard by the way.

I also want to transfer some VHS tapes I have into DVD format. Thanks a lot in advance for the advice I might get here.

I can not believe you don't have a dual layer burner, but yes. #1 your in the wrong forum, and yes #2 just buy a Pioneer DVR-109 This is a good price. Pioneer is Apples go to for superdrives. They use other manufacturers also, but Pioneer is the most common in a Mac Pro, PowerMac. They were also the drive that Apple coined the phrase superdrive on when they first came out.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If you only have one DVD drive installed, then there's an empty bay just waiting for you to lug in a new DL-DVD.

... and onlooker, the early G5 PowerMacs did not come with a DL burner.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

If you only have one DVD drive installed, then there's an empty bay just waiting for you to lug in a new DL-DVD.

... and onlooker, the early G5 PowerMacs did not come with a DL burner.

Are you sure? I thought the first DL burner came in the very last G4 PowerMac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    optional though
  • Reply 6 of 8
    It was always an option between the superdrive and the combo drive until like a year, or two ago, but you could have gotten one.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I had a dual 1.8 G5 back then. No DL drive, was a bto I think for that model.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    G'day

read this for drive changing info...

http://tinyurl.com/2blwbm

Also, there are four small screw in spacers that lock the drive into the G5. These are different heights depending on the drive brand, and new ones (if different) need to be bought from an Apple dealer.

Sony branded drives were also used, and have different spacers to the Pioneer drives. Buying the same brand drive as your existing single layer MIGHT use the same spacers.

I believe that in the States, buying from OWC will include suitable spacers, but I'm not sure.

Regards

Santa