Prediction posts

Comments

• Reply 121 of 153
    Maybe some smaller announcements?

I'll make a guess at a standalone Apple External hard drive (iDrive?) to complement Time Machine as well as OS 10.5.2 support back in for air disk support through airport express.

.Mac as it stands becomes free but with additional .Mac+ with much higher storage capacity at current prices.

iPhone update allows for cover-flowing remote for Apple TV 2.
  • Reply 122 of 153
    With Bestbuy Reward Zone Card you can get 12% off computer accesories January 11-14! the DAY before the keynote.. and i plan on getting a mac mini or its update/replacment. so i need to get a wireless mighty mouse and wireless keyboard.. do you think it will be safe to buy before macworld?
  • Reply 123 of 153
    AppleTV to include wireless operation of another mac similar to screen sharing but much faster and including audio. Can operate AppleTV with wireless keyboard.
  • Reply 124 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post

I don't know why some of you believe that the much anticipated new @TV

contains a build-in BR-Player. I know this Idea is very much tempting, but

that would actually be a contradiction to Apples business model how it works now

and how it worked (successfully) in the past. Apple tries to earn money by

selling (renting) content through iTunes store. I believe it is that simple.

Bottom line: no build in player, at least not now.

best

Finally someone with common sense.

Vox, I have been saying that for months. I understand that would be very cool to have BR on AppleTV but like you said it detracts from people buying iTunes content.

AppleTV needs IMHO:

1080p

5.1 audio

iTunes store built-in so you do not need your Mac to get content

LCD touch screen remote control ala iPhone

larger HD

Movie rentals

Higher res content. at least 720p

more and more content on iTunes, specially movies and tv shows.
  • Reply 125 of 153
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

... Vox, I have been saying that for months. I understand that would be very cool to have BR on AppleTV but like you said it detracts from people buying iTunes content.

not necessarily.

1 - 2y ago, I posted here the 'business model' of selling 'CSS/DRM keys' at iTS ...

the disk is the mass storage media - which doesn't allow a 'ripping' as we know for usage on iPod/iTouch/iPhone/Mac/AppleTV ..

so, you pay your 14,99$ at the store and an additional 'fee' of 99¢ at iTS which allows the rip of that disk on your Mac ... iTunes is then enabled to rip that DVD/BR once ...

iTS just has to deliver a few kB, the Terms of Usage are the same as with iTS delivered content (one Mac, sharing to 5 pods) .. you use the disks for 'downloading' 20Gigs of HiDef content.. saves bandwidth..
  • Reply 126 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

not necessarily.

1 - 2y ago, I posted here the 'business model' of selling 'CSS/DRM keys' at iTS ...

the disk is the mass storage media - which doesn't allow a 'ripping' as we know for usage on iPod/iTouch/iPhone/Mac/AppleTV ..

so, you pay your 14,99$ at the store and an additional 'fee' of 99¢ at iTS which allows the rip of that disk on your Mac ... iTunes is then enabled to rip that DVD/BR once ...

iTS just has to deliver a few kB, the Terms of Usage are the same as with iTS delivered content (one Mac, sharing to 5 pods) .. you use the disks for 'downloading' 20Gigs of HiDef content.. saves bandwidth..

^^^ a very cool idea. im a supporter of the built-in BR, i understand that it may not be the best way to sell iTS content, but it'd be the cheapest BR player on the market (at today's prices)... which would make it an instant sell-out! and while i like what you said about "buy the disc, pay apple, rip the content..." (i've been saying this for two years!!! great thinking!) on the other hand, i am a bit skeptical about ripping 20gb at a time to my MBP... i only have a 100gb hdd, and its over half full as is now, if AppleTV included a 1TB HDD, or if Apple made a stand-alone 1TB HDD (that matched and stacked under the AppleTV or AEBS that we could plug directly into the AppleTV using 3.0gb SATA... then they might have something! even though at 20gb/movie, thats only 50 movies/TB

another thought... why include 1080p out, no Blu-Ray/DVD player, but only offer downloadable content up to 720p? i dont understand the logic... are you just playing at future higher quality downloads?
  • Reply 127 of 153
    Ok - one more prediction. A bit left field.

Apple, Intel and Google introduce a WiMax high-speed wireless data network. (Air)

The new iPhone will be a WiMax product. Apple are skipping 3G.

Unlimited data, high data rates, free voice calling.

How's that for "boom"?

C.
  • Reply 128 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Apple, Intel and Google introduce a WiMax high-speed wireless data network. (Air)

How's that for "boom"?

C.

"Isn't this incredible?"
  • Reply 129 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

How's that for "boom"?

C.

Hate to spoil your fun but only clearwire and sprint own the wimax spectrum in the US.

Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 130 of 153
    The only thing that I'm 100% sure about is the notebook and iTs rentals.

The notebook has to come. I mean, "It's just gorgeous.", "We think you're going to love it"
  • Reply 131 of 153
    Besides the obvious (the MacBook "Air" subnotebook), I want to see the following:

1) A new, improved Apple TV device with movie rentals through the iTunes Music Store.

2) A new, completely revamped iTunes software that adds the new movie rental feature.

3) A new iPod shuffle with a small LCD display and 1 and 2 GB versions.

4) An iPod nano upgrade with a 16 GB version in black and Product Red case designs only.
  • Reply 132 of 153
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Hate to spoil your fun but only clearwire and sprint own the wimax spectrum in the US.

Not gonna happen.

You don't think Clearwire want to monetize their investment?

Apple can either partner with 3g providers with pre existing infra-structure or leapfrog over them to a better, cheaper technology. WiMax is a disruptive technology. Apple like being disruptive.

C.
  • Reply 133 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

Besides the obvious (the MacBook "Air" subnotebook), I want to see the following:

1) A new, improved Apple TV device with movie rentals through the iTunes Music Store.

2) A new, completely revamped iTunes software that adds the new movie rental feature.

3) A new iPod shuffle with a small LCD display and 1 and 2 GB versions.

4) An iPod nano upgrade with a 16 GB version in black and Product Red case designs only.

I hope the shuffle never gets a screen, I like it the way it is. We have a decent chance of a 16GB iPhone, but I don't see a 16GB nano anytime soon. I definitely see new Cinema Displays.
  • Reply 134 of 153
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Multitouch tablet

Cube 2.0

Ultraportable laptop

Are my hardware predictions. 3 new seems to be a bit much so I'm figuring 2 of those out of 3.

I think you'd be lucky to get one of those let alone two.
  • Reply 135 of 153
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i can see apple sharing with google spectrum but to put a wimax in this before 3 g is off

rem they are to prep for asia how much wimax is in asia????

when the contract with att is over then they will do a mvno with google

that's off...i'm sure they are secretly trying this.

usually when it comes to hardware surprises we are off way off

but lets think apple elegant solution

apple mini, becomes apple tv home server, then you have one product that can do 3 things and compete with slingbox, tivo, MS and the basis for early adopters of apple.....now that would be an elegant solution

they really need to create the home server market....it's big big big. an elegant apple solution
  • Reply 136 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

You don't think Clearwire want to monetize their investment?

Apple can either partner with 3g providers with pre existing infra-structure or leapfrog over them to a better, cheaper technology. WiMax is a disruptive technology. Apple like being disruptive.

C.

Sure. I'll bet clearwire would love to do a deal. Their stock has been hammered ever since their deal with Sprint fell apart. But wouldn't ATT have to be a part of it?

Don't get me wrong I like WiMax, or the promise of WiMax.
  • Reply 137 of 153
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Sure. I'll bet clearwire would love to do a deal. Their stock has been hammered ever since their deal with Sprint fell apart. But wouldn't ATT have to be a part of it?

Don't get me wrong I like WiMax, or the promise of WiMax.

The next-generation iPhone has to have a way forwards. Mac laptops could also benefit from wireless broadband.

There ain't much choice. Apple has to go with one of two technologies.

1) 3G

or

2) WiMax

If Apple goes 3G it means hooking-up with a hundred different providers around the planet.

These providers have spent billions in setting up their infra-structure. They want that money back from someone. 3G is not that fast, not that cheap, not that low power. These providers are best described as "cellphone networks" which is another way of saying they are all money-grabbing a**holes. Not only are they bad partners for Apple, they are screwing their customers which creates a great market opportunity.

WiMax would mean Apple & partners having to invest their own billions on network infrastructure. But with the right partners, and the right handsets, and the right chipsets, Apple could disrupt the entire wireless industry.

Would AT&T be allowed on the AirBus for the ride? Possibly, possibly not. They would not have to be involved. AT&T cannot pull-out of supporting the first gen iPhone. The ink has dried on the contract.

Would Apple like a network pal? I dunno, it would depend on whether Steve has had his Shiatzu.

C.

This is unlikely to happen, it's just what I'd do if I had $15bn in loose change. And it seemed a more imaginative idea than a Laptop built from AeroGel.
  • Reply 138 of 153
    Here are some wishes i have. They are based upon the "air" banners as well as several other patents apple has issued.

The ability to have itunes act as a media server that an iPhone can accessed anywhere. All music, pictures, and video on your home computer could be played at any time, giving the iPhone almost unlimited storage while in a network or using wifi. Data can be deleted directly on the iPhone as well as the ability to download itune's data from the base computer. Once connected to the home computer, browsing music would be almost identical to the regular interface. Coverflow would only be enabled while in wifi, and a search function would be added. There would also be a server tool to set up group collections with DRM free music and video. Passwords could be put in place for group collections so that only some people could access them, but other could be completely open. Itune will have a special library that will be able to be wirelessly accessed. Users will just drag and drop data into this file but, there will also be an option to host a user's entire library online.

Wireless desktop access for mac users on the iPhone. The iPhone would act as a wireless "screen" that could interact with one's computer from anywhere in the world. Zooming and regular navigation will be enabled, but a new gesture to lock the screen in its current position will also be added. (perhaps two double taps in quick succession) Once a screen is locked in a certain position, files and applications would be much easier to interact with. Applications developers could also make it so that when their applications are accessed on the iPhone, a select set of buttons are brought up on the side of the screen. These buttons will be semitransparent and could vary their function based on what aspect of an application is in use. Developers could also use the accelerometer.

If only this could happen.
  • Reply 139 of 153
    The new "Air" product has nothing (directly) to do with any notebook announcements. Check out TacoJoe's thread... It's a wireless network drive...
  • Reply 140 of 153
    For my money, this MWSF will be a mobile event. The MacBook Pro is in desperate need of an update, and there are some new patents I have heard rumor of.

+ One of the rumored patents would allow Apple to create a tablet a la iPhone, using Apple's Multi-touch technology. In my mind, this is the only way Apple will ever make a tablet. I have been saying for a long time that they would never make a tablet, but I believe they might if they integrate multi-touch.

+ The other rumor relates to Apple using Multi-Touch in conjunction with a new type of track pad for the MacBook line.

I know that there will be other announcements on Tuesday, but since the Mac Pro has already seen it's facelift, I think that the rest of the hardware announcements will be related to the mobile Mac.