Best plan of action RE buying a new macbook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm making the switch to Mac for work, specifically to dabble with Final Cut. As a novice I?m not sure what to expect from Tuesday and how any announcements will affect me. I'm on a bit of a budget, about £950 and am wondering if the rumoured updates to the Macbook will be worth embracing or if I should look for a deal on the current model?

Also how does Final cut 6/Express 4 run on the current Macbook?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adukbtn View Post

I'm making the switch to Mac for work, specifically to dabble with Final Cut. As a novice I?m not sure what to expect from Tuesday and how any announcements will affect me. I'm on a bit of a budget, about £950 and am wondering if the rumoured updates to the Macbook will be worth embracing or if I should look for a deal on the current model?

Also how does Final cut 6/Express 4 run on the current Macbook?

Many Thanks

Waiting a couple days doesn't hurt. If they release new models, you'll find even better deals on the obsolete models.

I have FCP on my Powerbook 17" 1 GHz and it works fine there. I think you won't have problems. If you are doing heavy duty editing, a Mac Pro is the way to go.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Yeah, not sure i can stretch to the Macbook Pro, I'm tied by my budget to go for the Black Macbook at best. Not sure how much of the hype about a much improved Macbook, and how much price will be affected.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I think Apple wont change the price especially when the current MacBook is selling well
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Why would you ever get a black macbook, esp. if you're on a budget. A low-end mbp doesn't cost a whole hell of a lot more than the black macbook. What r u thinking.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    It's $500 difference between black macbook and lowest priced MBP. That's pocket change?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

Why would you ever get a black macbook, esp. if you're on a budget. A low-end mbp doesn't cost a whole hell of a lot more than the black macbook. What r u thinking.

• Reply 6 of 8
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adukbtn View Post

Yeah, not sure i can stretch to the Macbook Pro, I'm tied by my budget to go for the Black Macbook at best. Not sure how much of the hype about a much improved Macbook, and how much price will be affected.

You'd be better off speccing up the White one in a build-to-order anyway. Cheaper
  • Reply 7 of 8
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    You must get 2GB of ram.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

You'd be better off speccing up the White one in a build-to-order anyway. Cheaper

Agreed. I went with a black one because I got a good deal on a refurb but would have gone for a white one otherwise. I'd also advise against BTO from Apple. Get a bare machine and upgrade it yourself. It's insanely easy to swap out the memory and HDD compared with other Apple portable machines.