Apple introduces new Mac Pro topping out at 3.2GHz

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 253
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    There's at least one set of third party benchmarks out. The new "default" Mac Pro is about as fast as the previous top-end 3.0GHz Octo.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1315...cprobench.html
  • Reply 242 of 253
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There's at least one set of third party benchmarks out. The new "default" Mac Pro is about as fast as the previous top-end 3.0GHz Octo.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1315...cprobench.html

It bested Monday's 8-core machine in 5 out of 10 tests. But the real plus is that Tuesday's machine is $1500 less than the old one for essentially the same overall performance. I'm curious to read the scores when they test using both 3.0GHz machines and after it's been optimized to take advantage of the SSE4 instruction set.
  • Reply 243 of 253
    Quote:

The computer will actually operate more quickly, but the CPU isn't really any faster on its own, you're taking away some of the delays that prevent it from doing its thing. If there's not enough memory, the computer will swap to hard drive to clear memory for new things. That will slow down the computer because it's waiting for the hard drive.

For a Mac Pro, I suggest 4GB or more. But I'd wait first, until third party memory is available because Mac Pro memory is specific to that kind of machine.

Thanks! How much RAM makes sense at this point? I use Logic 8, VSL Instruments, Native Ins Kore 2 & Komplete 5, etc, etc

From what I'm haering the new 2.8 with lots RAM is the best bet....so is 32 GIG of RAM the way to go or can Logic and these other programs really "use" that much yet?

Thx

Mike
  • Reply 244 of 253
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newnew View Post

Thanks! How much RAM makes sense at this point? I use Logic 8, VSL Instruments, Native Ins Kore 2 & Komplete 5, etc, etc

From what I'm haering the new 2.8 with lots RAM is the best bet....so is 32 GIG of RAM the way to go or can Logic and these other programs really "use" that much yet?

Thx

Mike

32GB would be excessive. Logic Pro 8 has a minimum requirements of 1GB and recommends 2GB. 4GB should be plenty.
  • Reply 245 of 253
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

The computer will actually operate more quickly, but the CPU isn't really any faster on its own, you're taking away some of the delays that prevent it from doing its thing. If there's not enough memory, the computer will swap to hard drive to clear memory for new things. That will slow down the computer because it's waiting for the hard drive.

For a Mac Pro, I suggest 4GB or more. But I'd wait first, until third party memory is available because Mac Pro memory is specific to that kind of machine.

OWC and Transinternational already have proper memory available.
  • Reply 246 of 253
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

OWC and Transinternational already have proper memory available.

I didn't know that, and apparently, it's not much more. I wonder if the faster memory would improve the older systems.
  • Reply 247 of 253
    Proof that cats like heat...

• Reply 248 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newnew View Post

Thx

Mike

It depends on the number of channels and which filters. Memory isn't too much of a bottleneck with audio programs though.
  • Reply 249 of 253
    Quote:

I didn't know that, and apparently, it's not much more. I wonder if the faster memory would improve the older systems.

No. It is locked to the processor and bus timings.
  • Reply 250 of 253
    Not ONE post out of MultiMedia since before New Year's.

Did he get banned here too??? I figured he'd be all over this thread, since all he ever did was talk and talk and talk and talk and talk about when the new Mac Pros would be released.

.....and he was WRONG every single time.
  • Reply 251 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post

Not ONE post out of MultiMedia since before New Year's.

Did he get banned here too??? I figured he'd be all over this thread, since all he ever did was talk and talk and talk and talk and talk about when the new Mac Pros would be released.

.....and he was WRONG every single time.

They rarely ban people. Who have they banned?
  • Reply 252 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They rarely ban people. Who have they banned?

Multi was banned from MacRumors. And I haven't seen one post from him since before New Years, so I figure he was either banned, or, given his fetish for the Mac Pro, he spontaneously combusted at the news of the Mac Pro refresh with the 8800GT
  • Reply 253 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post

Multi was banned from MacRumors. And I haven't seen one post from him since before New Years, so I figure he was either banned, or, given his fetish for the Mac Pro, he spontaneously combusted at the news of the Mac Pro refresh with the 8800GT

That's Macrumors. This is Appleinsider. Who have they banned from here recently?