Sources: Apple Newton-tablet not ripe for Macworld

Comments

• Reply 81 of 160
    There's already a Mac Tablet, and no one cares: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Modbook

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sartis View Post

I would really like to see a mac tablet....I own a Lenovo x60 and I like the tablet platform...apple would do it right.

• Reply 82 of 160
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And as far as that goes, my daughter, and most of her friends, think that even the iPhone is too big.

The iPhone is a Smartphone, they'll buy an iPhone nano. The Mac touch won't be a phone though, so very slim and 10" will actually be small for a real portable computer.
  • Reply 83 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

There's already a Mac Tablet, and no one cares: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Modbook

That's cause it's a piece of crap, and it doesn't have a multi-touch UI.
  • Reply 84 of 160
    Quote:

This product, whatever it may be, will be too expensive for kids. That has to be established from the beginning.

This product will be just as much about turning people onto Apple, as in mind-share as it will be about selling millions and millions of units of it. I still think it will sell millions, but every kid won't have one.
  • Reply 85 of 160
    Quote:

A few years?

If it can't be priced to sell in good numbers now, Apple won't keep it around for years until it does.

Always remember the Cube. Apple could have waited it out, come out with a less expensive G3 model, etc. But they didn't. They simply cut it.

I don't think that Jobs, seeing Apple's increasing marketshare, will settle for a model that sells in small numbers, in the hope that at some future date, to be determined only when it arrives, prices will fall enough for the device to sell.

Not going to happen, not any more.

We'll see what happens, but I still want it to be around 10".
  • Reply 86 of 160
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I see a huge market for a MacBook touch. I have a perfectly good 24" iMac at work for doing the things I need to do there, when I get home I don't really want to continue doing work, I just want to relax.

I would use a MacBook touch exactly as the next person would; surfing the web, checking email, video iChats, light iLife/iWork tasks, and controlling my 'digital life'; all from the comfort of my couch, and sometimes while sitting on the toilet… I would extend this to using the tablet as a remote for an AppleTV setup and to control a Mac mini w/X10 units for home automation. If Apple were to release a newer AppleTV that ups the specs to those of a Mac mini, so much the better…
  • Reply 87 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I see a huge market for a MacBook touch. I have a perfectly good 24" iMac at work for doing the things I need to do there, when I get home I don't really want to continue doing work, I just want to relax.

I would use a MacBook touch exactly as the next person would; surfing the web, checking email, video iChats, light iLife/iWork tasks, and controlling my 'digital life'; all from the comfort of my couch, and sometimes while sitting on the toilet? I would extend this to using the tablet as a remote for an AppleTV setup and to control a Mac mini w/X10 units for home automation. If Apple were to release a newer AppleTV that ups the specs to those of a Mac mini, so much the better?

Mac touch.
  • Reply 88 of 160
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This product will be just as much about turning people onto Apple, as in mind-share as it will be about selling millions and millions of units of it. I still think it will sell millions, but every kid won't have one.

I don't see it coming out at all.

I think Charles Jade said it best in this article yesterday:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...s-ad-infinitum

I'll take the line so you won't have to read the entire article if you don't want to.

Quote:

There are rumors that are fantasies that will never be, like the MacTouch tablet...

• Reply 89 of 160
    Quote:

We'll see what happens, but I still want it to be around 10".

Well, at least you're shrinking the size from 11 to 10. work on that some more, and come back.
  • Reply 90 of 160
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Exactly, I just think you think have the screen size wrong. I think it will be closer to 10 or 11 inches myself. I also think it will be a real Mac and not simply the iPod touch's bigger brother. Although it would technically be an extension of your desktop or your larger, heavier notebook - in that it would have to set-up, docked and synced with it - I also think it would be a Mac in its own right.

People who say they don't see a market for this surprise me, cause I can a HUGE market for it, as some others can. For a start, every teenager in the world would want one. I think people who have large desktops would be very intrigued by it too. And it not only would it be an extremely cool, useful product. It would also get Apple a lot of attention and win them a lot of mindshare - showing again what is different about Apple.

It would be the first for a tablet on a lot of fronts. It would be first genuinely "cool" tablet for starters. It would be the first "really thin" tablet. It would be first tablet properly designed to be used with fingers. It would be the first "really easy to use" tablet. It would be the first consumer tablet to have this new revolutionary multi-touch user-interface. It would be the first tablet with a "great" on-screen keyboard. Etc. etc. etc. As I said, I see this device being "huge". The addition of something like that pop-out rest on the back would be great too, you could prop up the tablet and type away on screen nicely.

As a teen I can tell you I would like that.

If it were a notebook.

I - like most of today's teens - write a lot. I need a real keyboard and a notebook just provides a better screen/keyboard solution than having a small device with a separate keyboard. Where do most teens really want to do their computing? In bed. That's why so many of us have notebooks (I'm the only one who does not in my circle of friends as I'm waiting on buying a MacBook/MacBook Nano, no I will not say Air). What you're describing just doesn't work in bed. It's basically a small iMac.

That said, I can see other uses. but not as a companion computer. I mean, it could work. Don't get me wrong. It's just that Tablet computers don't work so great for writing. It's about support. you usually have to hold it in some way, or rest it really low. A notebook just sits there.

Your idea's cool, but I still think Apple needs a small notebook. And I'd pay up to £1000 (Almost $2000) for a 32GB model.
  • Reply 91 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

As a teen I can tell you I would like that.

If it were a notebook.

I - like most of today's teens - write a lot.

You should pick up an Eee PC while you're waiting.

It's freaking amazing.

• Reply 92 of 160
    Quote:

Well, at least you're shrinking the size from 11 to 10. work on that some more, and come back.

Hahahahaha

Nice
  • Reply 93 of 160
    Quote:

I have been saying 10 or 11 from the start. And I have constantly been adding that I would settle for 10, but I would prefer 11.
  • Reply 94 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Your idea's cool, but I still think Apple needs a small notebook. And I'd pay up to £1000 (Almost $2000) for a 32GB model.

I think a sub-notebook is coming as well. It's coming tomorrow. I don't think the tablet is though.
  • Reply 95 of 160
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

I think a sub-notebook is coming as well. It's coming tomorrow. I don't think the tablet is though.

mactouch ftw.
  • Reply 96 of 160
    Quote:

Exactly, I just think you think have the screen size wrong. I think it will be closer to 10 or 11 inches myself. I also think it will be a real Mac and not simply the iPod touch's bigger brother. Although it would technically be an extension of your desktop or your larger, heavier notebook - in that it would have to set-up, docked and synced with it - I also think it would be a Mac in its own right.

People who say they don't see a market for this surprise me, cause I can a HUGE market for it, as some others can. For a start, every teenager in the world would want one. I think people who have large desktops would be very intrigued by it too. And it not only would it be an extremely cool, useful product. It would also get Apple a lot of attention and win them a lot of mindshare - showing again what is different about Apple.

It would be the first for a tablet on a lot of fronts. It would be first genuinely "cool" tablet for starters. It would be the first "really thin" tablet. It would be first tablet properly designed to be used with fingers. It would be the first "really easy to use" tablet. It would be the first consumer tablet to have this new revolutionary multi-touch user-interface. It would be the first tablet with a "great" on-screen keyboard. Etc. etc. etc. As I said, I see this device being "huge". The addition of something like that pop-out rest on the back would be great too, you could prop up the tablet and type away on screen nicely.

This is exactly right - People who have been saying "who wants a tablet?" are thinking of the PC tablets. I wouldn't want one of those either. Apple has known for a while that there's a market for a tablet done the right way. They needed to wait though for some of the hardware technology to catch up because this device will be thin, light, durable and have great battery life. If they can get the price where they need to, they will not use an LCD but will use newer display technology such as OLED. That will increase battery life and let you drop the thing without worrying about breaking it.

People who want a thin laptop can get a thin laptop if they want (Sometime after Tuesday) and type in bed all they want. But for many others, like myself, want a portable tablet that I can easily move from room to room (without opening and closing )- read the daily news on the web from the back porch, check e-mail, watch a movie, etc (all the things mentioned in many other posts). But the screen size will allow the full viewing of an 8 1/2" x 11" page size. Just about the size of a thin spiral notebook (a paper notebook) and just as easy to tuck into your backpack, briefcase or under your arm. (It would be great as an e-book, much more likeable than that thing from Amazon). Multi-touch on a screen this size would be great. The size may vary from that a bit - but if someone is looking for a new Newton larger than the size of an iphone or iPod touch, but smaller than a 10" or 11" screen device, I find that very unlikely. The iphone will increase in functionality to be more of a PDA (but better) - that's the new Newton.

Like many mentioned earlier. The new tablet will have a pretty useable onscreen keyboard, but if you need a real keyboard- pull the bluetooth keyboard out of the bag.

But I think people will get pretty quick with typing onscreen - It would be great for taking notes without the noise of clicking keys on a keyboard.

Anyway - as much as Apple would like it - We won't see this device on Tuesday. Hopefully this summer though. And give Apple a break - they've been working very hard.
  • Reply 97 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brockway View Post

People who want a thin laptop can get a thin laptop if they want (Sometime after Tuesday) and type in bed all they want. But for many others, like myself, want a portable tablet that I can easily move from room to room (without opening and closing )- read the daily news on the web from the back porch, check e-mail, watch a movie, etc (all the things mentioned in many other posts). But the screen size will allow the full viewing of an 8 1/2" x 11" page size. Just about the size of a thin spiral notebook (a paper notebook) and just as easy to tuck into your backpack, briefcase or under your arm. (It would be great as an e-book, much more likeable than that thing from Amazon). Multi-touch on a screen this size would be great. The size may vary from that a bit - but if someone is looking for a new Newton larger than the size of an iphone or iPod touch, but smaller than a 10" or 11" screen device, I find that very unlikely. The iphone will increase in functionality to be more of a PDA (but better) - that's the new Newton.

Two points: size and price.

Size: 10"-11", too big to be mobile. This would cut out the potential business market for such a device.

I think most people would also like to carry this device with them, and not necessarily in a 'backpack', or bag of any kind.

To target a device mainly for mainly home use would kinda defeat the purpose of mobile. It would probably also get swallowed up by the coming 'tweener' devices from other manufacturers that are all targeting the 5-7" size.

Price: Over $1,000 would most likely not sell to millions of users. This has been one of the main problems of the UMPC market, way to expensive. The thought is why buy that when a subnotebook is available with much better functionality, at a better price point.

And, with rumour of a "macbook air" circulating, I think that this thin macbook would canabalize a large slate's sales.
  • Reply 98 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

mactouch ftw.

How about...Mac-n-touch?

....what?
  • Reply 99 of 160
    Quote:

I have been saying 10 or 11 from the start. And I have constantly been adding that I would settle for 10, but I would prefer 11.

You mght have mentioned it, but all of youconversation I've seen is for the 11" one you drew.

Come down below 8, and more people here will begin to smile.
  • Reply 100 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macsation View Post

Two points: size and price.

Size: 10"-11", too big to be mobile. This would cut out the potential business market for such a device.

I think most people would also like to carry this device with them, and not necessarily in a 'backpack', or bag of any kind.

To target a device mainly for mainly home use would kinda defeat the purpose of mobile. It would probably also get swallowed up by the coming 'tweener' devices from other manufacturers that are all targeting the 5-7" size.

Price: Over $1,000 would most likely not sell to millions of users. This has been one of the main problems of the UMPC market, way to expensive. The thought is why buy that when a subnotebook is available with much better functionality at a better price point.

And, with rumour of a "macbook air" circulating, I think that this thin macbook would canabalize a large slate's sales.

The device they will always carry with them is the iPhone. This tablet isn't meant as a replacement for that. This tablet will be taken to college classes, to work or use around the house. It doesn't cut out the business market - it adds to it. Going into meetings where people would not necessarily have brought a laptop or be typing into an iPhone. a thin tablet would no more out of place than a yellow tablet of paper. They could wirelessly search for any document they would need for the meeting. They could be used where Macs have not been before - a tablet taken on rounds in a hospital, for example. Have you tried walking around with a laptop? People walk around with clipboards though. This tablet could replace that.

I agree that the price needs to be below $1000 for sure. I think a thin MacBook and a slate / tablet device could both exist without too much canabalization. The attractiveness of the tablet is the multi-touch. Moving things around the screen with just your finger (or fingers). Easily flip from portrait to landscape, etc. Multi-touch on the screen of the current laptop designs, even a thin one, would be awkward. (Adding some of this function to a large trackpad on a laptop, as some have discussed, would be cool though)

With the iPhone and iPod touch, much of the features of OSX were shrunk down to a small device. A Mac tablet would bring the cool multi-touch features of Phone and iPod touch back up to a fully functioning Mac in tablet form.

I don't see Apple seeing any value in something around a 7" size.