Prepare to be....

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TX65 View Post

The movie rentals, expanded for sale movie collection, refined Apple TV, anticipated I-phone enhancements, mac book pro enhancements and a thin lap top are pretty much all leaked out with people just waiting for the official blurb.... If that is all Steve talks about, the keynote will be lackluster in that nothing unexpected is talked about. If you really think about it, what is going to be talked about that gets a big bang in the industry and on wall street (remember them)?

- A well done umpc that builds on and expands the touch screen direction of the I-phone and I-pod touch showing Apple's strength in this arena?

-The I-phone being unlocked to be used with any cellular provider of the customer's choosing?

- A new line of desktop machines (replacing the mac mini) that redefines the low end of the market since the Imac has really become a mid-range price point product (compared to the Mac Pro on top and Mac Mini on bottom)?

- OS X being able to run any Windows program natively just by installing the application?

Of course, this type of misinformation could just be more classic apple or should I say Steve Jobs keeping everyone off base until show begins....

{Personal Attack Deleted - JL} What misinformation? You just made up the last 3 for fun, didn't you? The iPhone won't be unlocked because Apple has a 5-year contract with AT&T. The new desktop that "redefines the low end of the market" will not happen because Steve will never sell a computer for under $500 again. Redefining the low end would be $199 computers. OS X cannot run Windows programs natively, nor will it be able to. Crossover is the closest thing to OS X running Windows applications without Windows that we will ever see.

While we do not KNOW what will happen and we do not KNOW that those first things will happen, it is important to say that things have leaked out in the past as well. Leaks don't ruin the Stevenote, they are just the final bit of satisfaction in knowing that the rumors are true. We knew what the MacBook looked like almost to the T, but it was still exciting when it came out. Rumors that turn out to be true are pretty exciting.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    tx65tx65 Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaEsperanza View Post

What misinformation? You just made up the last 3 for fun, didn't you? The iPhone won't be unlocked because Apple has a 5-year contract with AT&T. The new desktop that "redefines the low end of the market" will not happen because Steve will never sell a computer for under $500 again. Redefining the low end would be $199 computers. OS X cannot run Windows programs natively, nor will it be able to. Crossover is the closest thing to OS X running Windows applications without Windows that we will ever see.

While we do not KNOW what will happen and we do not KNOW that those first things will happen, it is important to say that things have leaked out in the past as well. Leaks don't ruin the Stevenote, they are just the final bit of satisfaction in knowing that the rumors are true. We knew what the MacBook looked like almost to the T, but it was still exciting when it came out. Rumors that turn out to be true are pretty exciting.

Sorry, Not Stupid At All

My post was merely to point that there are people who expect a Big Bang during these keynotes. A Big Bang as I define it would be a release or news that leaves everyone, in particular non-Apple fans, going Wow.

My hypothetical wild products are just that hypothetical (in particular the last 3), call it "a modest proposal" if you are a student of history. Maybe I should have been more abstract so people would see the humor in it, but to your comments on my "wild ideas"

5 year contracts, anything can be done between two parties engaged in a contract. With 20 years in corporate America behind me, I have seen many a contract concluded early because someone wanted to conclude it early.

Redefining the low end of the market does not necessarily mean $199 computers, it could be something like the marriage of Apple TV, Mac Mini and who knows, even a cable box into one $499 device designed to use a television as a monitor with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I seem to remember a goal back in the 1970's of two guys both named Steve wanting to put a computer into everyone's home.

As far as misinformation, I would say it is pretty clear that someone putting out a blurb that this will be a lackluster, uneventful Macworld could very well be misinformation that keeps people on edge. Especially when the thread begins like it came direct from within Apple.

Actually, I pretty excited about Macworld this year and even took advantage of some available time in my schedule to be there in person.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TX65 View Post

Sorry, Not Stupid At All

My post was merely to point that there are people who expect a Big Bang during these keynotes. A Big Bang as I define it would be a release or news that leaves everyone, in particular non-Apple fans, going Wow.

My hypothetical wild products are just that hypothetical (in particular the last 3), call it "a modest proposal" if you are a student of history. Maybe I should have been more abstract so people would see the humor in it, but to your comments on my "wild ideas"

5 year contracts, anything can be done between two parties engaged in a contract. With 20 years in corporate America behind me, I have seen many a contract concluded early because someone wanted to conclude it early.

Redefining the low end of the market does not necessarily mean $199 computers, it could be something like the marriage of Apple TV, Mac Mini and who knows, even a cable box into one $499 device designed to use a television as a monitor with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I seem to remember a goal back in the 1970's of two guys both named Steve wanting to put a computer into everyone's home.

As far as misinformation, I would say it is pretty clear that someone putting out a blurb that this will be a lackluster, uneventful Macworld could very well be misinformation that keeps people on edge. Especially when the thread begins like it came direct from within Apple.

Actually, I pretty excited about Macworld this year and even took advantage of some available time in my schedule to be there in person.

You make more sense now. I was completely confused with where you were coming from as well as where you were headed. Regarding a sub-$499 computer again with full-fledged OS X, I don't know if we will see that. I believe it could be done, but Apple seems to view themselves as an Acura to the Hondas (Vista/Linux) in the market. They are efficient machines and always beautiful, but since Apple has entered the hipster culture, I don't see them going cheap.

With the iPhone agreement I don't see Apple getting out. AT&T has one of the most coveted new phones of the year. They will not give it up. Apple has what they want: total control. Verizon Wireless ducked out because Apple wanted to take care of everything related to the phone and let VZW take care of the cellular service-related questions.

My favorite part of your comment was the last sentence before the last paragraph. I, as well, love the "straight from Apple" insider information. For example, the NAS drive that was mocked up in PS and still titled "untitled-2." Happy Stevenote week to you.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    When was the last MW that got everyone (75% or more of us on here) excited? It's been a while... I am expecting not much more than iTunes this and that, iPhone hooraaaay, and here is your ultra light but still big notebook that has built in WiMax.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

A buddy of mine who works at the campus

OK, so what position does your buddy hold at the Apple campus?
  • Reply 26 of 49
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Official Rumor Monger - post but to lead the crowd other direction
  • Reply 27 of 49
    I can't image that Apple with have anything that spectacular ready. The last year most of their resources went into developing two huge products; the iPhone and Leopard. Both of which still require significant work. If there's anything substantial demoed it will likely not be ready for a few months.

Still, around here I see disappointment after every keynote as many people work themselves up with expectations of the miraculous, and for cheap or free! Apple has done so much great stuff over the last few years that I think they deserve a break.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - J B 7 2 - View Post

I can't image that Apple with have anything that spectacular ready. The last year most of their resources went into developing two huge products; the iPhone and Leopard. Both of which still require significant work. If there's anything substantial demoed it will likely not be ready for a few months.

Still, around here I see disappointment after every keynote as many people work themselves up with expectations of the miraculous, and for cheap or free! Apple has done so much great stuff over the last few years that I think they deserve a break.

I disagree. The Hardware side (for the most part) was probably done on the iPhone early on in '07. It's the software department that's been busy. I think there's something coming on the horizon of hardware of some sort. The iTunes and iPod front has also been silent since the September refreshes, so I don't see why a new iTunes version couldn't be possible. There's something coming - There's something in the air! It's just how earth-shattering it'll be that's the question. Steve always has something to wow with at a Macworld keynote, though, so I'm not too worried about that.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

I disagree. The Hardware side (for the most part) was probably done on the iPhone early on in '07. It's the software department that's been busy. I think there's something coming on the horizon of hardware of some sort.

Yeah I'm sure there will be something. But Apple "ground breakers" are almost always about the software now, or implementation thereof. Look at the iPhone (I have one and LOVE it just fyi.) It's no technical marvel from a hardware perspective. It's the elegant, smart software that put it on front pages.

The last time hardware itself made headlines was the introduction of the iMac.

Anyway, I hope you're right. I'm as much an Apple fan and optimist as anyone (anyone sane that is.)

Quote:

The iTunes and iPod front has also been silent since the September refreshes, so I don't see why a new iTunes version couldn't be possible.

Movie rentals. Maybe a tad more if there is a new AppleTV.

Quote:

There's something coming - There's something in the air! It's just how earth-shattering it'll be that's the question. Steve always has something to wow with at a Macworld keynote, though, so I'm not too worried about that.

At this point especially I don't get disappointed with the Keynote because, for me at least, things are so damn good. During darker days it seemed like every tidbit announced was important to the Mac's very survival. I was more tense. Now it's generally icing on the cake. Of course that could change if Apple goes into a creative coma but I don't see that happening.

Last year was a game changer. An industry changer. You can't do that every year.

ps - Nice sober prelude comments from Daring Fireball.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daring Fireball

In a mild/medium/hot scale, where mild is a lame keynote that’s mostly a “state of the Apple Union” address and hot is a major new product along the lines of the iPhone, my gut feeling is that we’re looking at a medium — spicy enough to be enjoyable, but not one for the ages.

I'm going with a mild to medium, with a medium/hot for 2009.

pss - oh and John Siracusa too. Brilliant as usual.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

OK, so what position does your buddy hold at the Apple campus?

He's a QA engineer in R&D 5 (that's building five in the Infinity Loop campus).
  • Reply 31 of 49
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaEsperanza View Post

With the iPhone agreement I don't see Apple getting out. AT&T has one of the most coveted new phones of the year. They will not give it up. Apple has what they want: total control. Verizon Wireless ducked out because Apple wanted to take care of everything related to the phone and let VZW take care of the cellular service-related questions.

I don't see the contract lasting for 5 years. Apple has problems selling the iPhone outside US and one of the main issues is locking to a particular service provider. They are selling in only 3 countries in EU and the sales are not extremely impressive. They NEED to go pan-European, to get China, Russia, Japan. At some point they will get more with more sales then with revenue sharing.

EDIT: It may not be obvious how the worldwide market relates to the AT&T contract. Apple can not sell unlocked phone at a competitive price anywhere until the AT&T contract is in place.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

I don't see the contract lasting for 5 years. Apple has problems selling the iPhone outside US and one of the main issues is locking to a particular service provider. They are selling in only 3 countries in EU and the sales are not extremely impressive. They NEED to go pan-European, to get China, Russia, Japan. At some point they will get more with more sales then with revenue sharing.

EDIT: It may not be obvious how the worldwide market relates to the AT&T contract. Apple can not sell unlocked phone at a competitive price anywhere until the AT&T contract is in place.

Really. Wasn't the iPhone like the best selling phone of the year? It was definitely the best selling phone debut ever.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Really. Wasn't the iPhone like the best selling phone of the year? It was definitely the best selling phone debut ever.

Best selling smartphone in US. The reports from France and the lack of reports from UK and Germany suggest that it was NOT a smashing success in those countries. The regulations in EU are very different than those in US. We all heard about some of them requiring selling unlocked phones but there are many others. Example: in most EU countries you can change the provider without changing the phone number. I think this will become mandatory for all EU countries. This may seem like lowering the barrier for changing the provider but the opposite is also true - the users there are used to be free to change the provider and may not want to sigh up for a long and expensive contract. Besides, there are many providers operating in more than one country and countless roaming contracts between operators. A bottom line: the US is not the world and if Apple wants to have the best-selling Phone it should take this into account!

Compare this with the rest of the product line. The Mac and iPod market share is much higher in the US than in the rest of the world but the US sales represent about 50% of the total sales. Apple needs AT LEAST the same proportion for the iPhone. If Apple wants to have noticeable share in EU, Asia and South America they need to sell even more outside US. I don't want to go into a long discussion regarding the mobile phone demographics but it boils down to this: Apple has absolutely no chance getting 0.5% Mac market share in China but could get significant market share of the (ever growing) high-end mobile phone segment. If Apple fails to get it other company will.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:

He was a QA engineer in R&D 5 (that's building five in the Infinity Loop campus).

ftfy.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

They must think they have something because if it was going to be a total let down they wouldn't have announced the Mac Pro a week before.

... I don't think Apple would have passed up an opportunity unless they have a bigger one.

I totally agree. It may not be anything as earth-shattering as a new tablet, but I don't think that they would have silently updated the Mac Pro a week before keynote and then had a crappy keynote. It's not Apple's style, and it sure as hell isn't Steve Jobs' style.

I have watched a couple of interviews with Steve recently, and he has made comments on how Apple is seeing that computing is "going mobile", and given the fact that Apple's laptops make up for something like 45% of their yearly sales, I predict a complete Macbook refresh top to bottom.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Best selling smartphone in US. The reports from France and the lack of reports from UK and Germany suggest that it was NOT a smashing success in those countries. The regulations in EU are very different than those in US. We all heard about some of them requiring selling unlocked phones but there are many others. Example: in most EU countries you can change the provider without changing the phone number. I think this will become mandatory for all EU countries. This may seem like lowering the barrier for changing the provider but the opposite is also true - the users there are used to be free to change the provider and may not want to sigh up for a long and expensive contract. Besides, there are many providers operating in more than one country and countless roaming contracts between operators. A bottom line: the US is not the world and if Apple wants to have the best-selling Phone it should take this into account!

Compare this with the rest of the product line. The Mac and iPod market share is much higher in the US than in the rest of the world but the US sales represent about 50% of the total sales. Apple needs AT LEAST the same proportion for the iPhone. If Apple wants to have noticeable share in EU, Asia and South America they need to sell even more outside US. I don't want to go into a long discussion regarding the mobile phone demographics but it boils down to this: Apple has absolutely no chance getting 0.5% Mac market share in China but could get significant market share of the (ever growing) high-end mobile phone segment. If Apple fails to get it other company will.

That's where I think your wrong. The iPhone outside the US is a good gesture, but Apple does not need to sell the iPhone outside the US to make billions in profits from it. AFAIAC - EU iPhone can disappear and Apple wouldn't care.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

He's a QA engineer in R&D 5 (that's building five in the Infinity Loop campus).

So what makes you or him think that he knows about every single project in the works? Apple is notorious for compartmentalized intel/knowledge... don't be so sure that many more people other than Jobs or Schiller know all that's going on in Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    As someone who was at the 2000 keynote i can say, ya that sure was one lack luster keynote... I mean seeing 10.0 was cool, but as someone who was in EDU sales and more into the hardware side of things... it was a snoozer... Though i did get a nice 4 digit .mac account out of it and sitting in the VIP section was nice... but as for quality of Keynote... there where much more interesting ones. I hope this one is not as lack luster as the 2000 one.

Quote:

....let down.

A buddy of mine who works at the campus says this is going to be one of the largest lackluster Macworlds since Mac OS 10 made it's debut in 2000, you know the one where .Mac was also announced?

Yeah, he says even worse then that.

You heard it here first.

• Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

That's where I think your wrong. The iPhone outside the US is a good gesture, but Apple does not need to sell the iPhone outside the US to make billions in profits from it. AFAIAC - EU iPhone can disappear and Apple wouldn't care.

IMO "US only is OK" is the road to irrelevance for any Apple product. This is absolutely insane in regard to iPhone. Apple will either be a player on the global mobile market or fade away on the US market as well. OK, it will take some time and Apple will make few billions on its way out. But it is inevitable. Mobile phone market is still fractured but there is an extremely strong trend towards globalization.

I am afraid this discussion is off-topic, should we move it elsewhere?
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I personally think that all the consumer products including Apple's best product the Mini will get a refresh with Penryn and I hope they eradicate the Intel integrated graphics once and for all - possibly with new low end ATI chips. Imagine if they moved the ATI cards from the iMac to the Macbook and Mini and then used better chips in the iMac. Now that the Mac Pro has much better graphics, they can do this without making the Pro lineup look bad.

I am going to have to disagree with you where the Mac mini is concerned. Unless Apple does something radical with the Mac mini it will always be a step or two behind the MacBook. The reason why the Mac mini was not updated for a whole year was to give the MacBook and MacBook Pro time to move ahead of the "entry" model. As for integrated graphics, they are here to stay for the MacBook and Mac mini.