Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners

Comments

• Reply 281 of 384
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

I haven't seen anyone mention this so far but this is a concept i came up with a couple of years ago --

a problem right now with the ipods is in the house, you need to be "at the ipod" -- mostly likely standing up and off of your couch -- to change songs, artists, etc...

even CD player systems have solved this problem a long time ago -- i have a 51 CD changer with remote.

with the ipod, there is no remote.

the solution is that the ipod, itself, becomes a sort of remote except the songs are stored on the ipod.

the songs or videos get streamed to your airport express, apple TV... maybe even your car decks if apple goes in that direction.

Sorry, but what on earth are you talking about? An iPod is a portable media player. It's meant to be in your pocket, or beside you. Why do you have to stand up to change the song on it? You don't even have to sync it if you have one big enough for your whole collection, beating out the CD-Changer significantly. (Incidentally, your CD-Changer could be replaced with an iPod Classic and provide twice (80) to four times (160) as much playback even if you preserved the original CD audio quality.

Are you talking about speaker systems for iPods? Good iPod Speaker systems have remotes. Cheaper ones do not, but you get what you pay for.

If I'm reading right, you're proposing replacing iPod Dock Connector with Daniel Eran's "Bonjour Express" idea. Honestly, I can't see the point. AppleTV works on a similar principle to get media from the PC, but what's the point in sacrificing iPod battery life simply because you want the speakers on the other side of the room from the iPod because you didn't buy a speaker system with a Remote?
  • Reply 282 of 384
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They can laugh all they want, I don't give a shit.

Yes you do. Don't lie!

• Reply 283 of 384
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Yes you do. Don't lie!

No lie.
  • Reply 284 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

All I have to say is Apple must be laughing at us crazies trying to pin down what their simple phrase means!

Especially since last time we did that, the phrase meant nothing.

Remember "The beat goes on"?
  • Reply 285 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Especially since last time we did that, the phrase meant nothing.

Remember "The beat goes on"?

Ah, yes, the iPod event that never resulted anything to do with the Beatles.

That could very well be the outcome this time, as well. By the way, didn't AI get a report that the sub-notebook project isn't ripe for release yet? On the other hand, those Adium hits are pretty compelling... we shall see...
  • Reply 286 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Perhaps the new ultra-light portable(s) will have internet access everywhere via cell networks.

Perhaps the Myriad ultra-light typeface is indicative of how the new ultra-light portables will be branded. Putting a cellular interface in it would be very cool. Would it be tied to at&t? Probably.
  • Reply 287 of 384
    Quote:

Ah, yes, the iPod event that never resulted anything to do with the Beatles.

That could very well be the outcome this time, as well. By the way, didn't AI get a report that the sub-notebook project isn't ripe for release yet? On the other hand, those Adium hits are pretty compelling... we shall see...

Nah, they got word that the alleged Tablet Mac had been delayed. That said, some claim the two are the same.

Me, I hope not. I really want this
  • Reply 288 of 384
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Check out one of the YouTube videos. Vista does cursive, which InkWell doesn't do, and Vista's app seems to be much more accurate.

1) Newton did cursive. They have the algorithms, if they want to use them.

2) You're confusing HW recog accuracy with usability. Unless the methodology for going from ink to final text placement has *drastically* changed in Vista, and is available to all apps, all the time, anywhere, then it isn't as useful as InkWell has been.

I spent six weeks with my right arm immobilized, but was able to continue working very effectively by tossing a cheap Wacom tablet into my workflow (mounted at the end of my arm brace). It replaced the mouse and text entry without a problem. This was after trying a dedicated tablet computer running XP, and having nothing but frustration. *If* you were running an app that was already made 'aware' of handwriting recognition, it worked okay, but you couldn't use it as a *general* replacement for the keyboard without quite a few contortions. As usual from MS, it was an afterthought, not something that was well integrated with the system as a whole.

*That* is the number one reason, IMO, why they've failed consistently at tablets - they still want to treat pen input as something to just slap in there, and use it to sell more apps. "Now with Windows Live Pen Input 2008!" It needs to be as invisible and natural to use with any app as the keyboard. InkWell has gotten closest to that so far... I haven't used Vista's pen input, but I've spoken with those who have, and in their estimation, it hasn't changed appreciably from XP's workflow.
  • Reply 289 of 384
    My kids play with an old Newton Message Pad 100. They get a kick out of writing something (print or cursive) and watching it translated into silly words. They also enjoy playing games on their DS Lites. But when it comes productive use; neither touch nor tablet is a complete replacement for a keyboard.
  • Reply 290 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heaven or las vegas View Post

My kids play with an old Newton Message Pad 100. They get a kick out of writing something (print or cursive) and watching it translated into silly words. They also enjoy playing games on their DS Lites. But when it comes productive use; neither touch nor tablet is a complete replacement for a keyboard.

Agreed. There are times when both have a purpose. A keyboard is great for rapid textual entry, a tablet is great at rapid spatial entry. Current GUIs need both. What I loved about my MP2000 (which was a massive leap over the 100) was that I could use it solely with pen 95% of the time, and those times when I needed faster text entry (during class, for instance), I had a keyboard. I can't help but think that Apple's BT wireless keyboard (which I use daily at the office) would be a *fantastic* add-on for a small tablet. Keep the keyboard in the briefcase for serious text entry, and have the small-form tablet for 'on the go'. Actually, I'm rather surprised the iPhone doesn't have BT keyboard support. Hopefully soon.
  • Reply 291 of 384
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Gawd you people!! Google the latest multitouch patents that Apple filed. Multitouch is the future for Apple and it will be extremely succesful whether you like it or not!!
  • Reply 292 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Gawd you people!! Google the latest multitouch patents that Apple filed. Multitouch is the future for Apple and it will be extremely succesful whether you like it or not!!

Depends on your definition of successful...
  • Reply 293 of 384
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I can't help but think that Apple's BT wireless keyboard (which I use daily at the office) would be a *fantastic* add-on for a small tablet. Keep the keyboard in the briefcase for serious text entry, and have the small-form tablet for 'on the go'.

I agree, use the tablet, write and MultiTouchtype on it, use BT keyboard for typing and have an iMac like docking station that allows the use of a better graphics card and processor, ect.

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Anyone want to predict price?
  • Reply 294 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I agree, use the tablet, write and MultiTouchtype on it, use BT keyboard for typing and have an iMac like docking station that allows the use of a better graphics card and processor, ect.

An Apple Multi-touch tablet with iMacish docking station and wireless keyboard? That's not going to be cheap if it all comes together. I'd expect the tablet alone to be somewhere over $2000... the docking station and keyboard would probably add close to another $400-500. Perhaps the docking station could be a separate "accessory" you could buy/add on...
  • Reply 295 of 384
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Price would depend on many factors. CPU type and speed, amount of RAM, storage type and quantity, display type and size, other HW additions.
  • Reply 296 of 384
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

An Apple Multi-touch tablet with iMacish docking station and wireless keyboard? That's not going to be cheap if it all comes together. I'd expect the tablet alone to be somewhere over $2000... the docking station and keyboard would probably add close to another $400-500. Perhaps the docking station could be a separate "accessory" you could buy/add on...

Time for another mortgage
  • Reply 297 of 384
    Quote:

Assuming I'm right... I could be way off on my estimates, but that's what I'd expect. Meh, maybe I'm slightly high on the docking station, but I'd expect it to not be cheap... \
  • Reply 298 of 384
    Quote:

I misread that as "Time for another montage" and all I can think about is Team America's training montage song. Thanks a lot.
  • Reply 299 of 384
    Is this too far from the fray....? A "portable" that has no display, just the keyboard and keyboard in size with trackpad and clicker. The unit would contain all the flash storage and ports but would wirelessly interface with a display or Apple TV. I don't know if Bluetooth could handle video. But given that it's size would begin rival a laptop's, the idea would probably become foolish. And I don't think there are any patents that have been submitted of the kind.
  • Reply 300 of 384
    OK, heres my take:

If 'Air' has any relevance to anything it is Apple Itunes Rentals.

Deals struck with all big studios ($3.99 per movie, 24hr self destruct.)

Complete revision of Apple TV maybe even apple branded HD TV.

drm free deals with all music labels.

Massive revisions to whole laptop range. stupidly thin. optical drive possibly dropped, with optional external blue ray instead.

Revision of .mac, the integration of multiple apple devices will drummed into us for apples 'digital lifestyle. steps taken towards thin client. Apple Remote Desktop maybe.

Possible deal with 'Sling Media' to stream itunes movies and audio from your home computer to your mobile/taptop. But not from your TV as the studios would get in a mood and not allow apple to rent their material. maybe apples implementation of this technology is called 'Air' as in 'On Air' referring to broadcasting.

And with apples traditional "one more thing", well im expecting a 7"-8" mac 3G touchscreen , but i think they wouldn't want to overshadow the movie rentals, so maybe wait until feb to coincide with developer tools release.

oh and apple branded external 3G for laptops.