Macbook Air

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://9to5mac.com/macbook-air-2453564654

Cable-less Macbook, wireless USB(?)/WiMax(?)/Wifi/Bluetooth, power by induction.

If anyone could do it, Apple could .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    That would explain the extremely thin form factor.

My guess is wireless USB for peripherals. I didn't even know they already had products out:

http://www.amazon.com/BLKF5U301-Cabl...dp/B000MFJT0A/

Let's just hope it's not as flakey as wireless devices usually are.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    If that's the name, I would personally like to punish the one responsible. Awful, awful name.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I can't imagine anyone who would want a laptop (sub-notebook or not) without any external connectors.

Wireless USB isn't ready yet.

WiMax isn't here yet.

802.11 and Bluetooth only get you so far.

I say fake.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 19
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Inductive charging?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Inductive charging?

On that note, doesn't anyone else feel the need to point out that inductive charging is plug-less, not cable-less? As such, it would probably manifest as a replacement for the MagSafe if at all.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

If that's the name, I would personally like to punish the one responsible. Awful, awful name.

Whats wrong with it? Its not a bad name.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

On that note, doesn't anyone else feel the need to point out that inductive charging is plug-less, not cable-less? As such, it would probably manifest as a replacement for the MagSafe if at all.

i could be wrong but i think you have that backwards. inductive charging, you plug it into a wall with a cable and the pod "beams" the energy to the battery by exciting the electrons. Similar to a basic wifi system. A huge waste of energy, especially at great distances. But if they lay on top of each other it might work.

Here is a link explaining it.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question292.htm
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

I think the idea was that the laptop/device itself wouldn't have any cables going to it.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Yeah, it would recharge the way my Oral B electric toothbrush does. The one striking problem is that you'd have to tote the charger around still if you wanted to charge it up on the road. It's also likely to be as bulky if not more than a traditional charging brick and cord. Unless the machine was so frugal on power that I could count on getting through an entire day on a single charge then this is a somewhat worthless feature.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Yeah, it would recharge the way my Oral B electric toothbrush does. The one striking problem is that you'd have to tote the charger around still if you wanted to charge it up on the road. It's also likely to be as bulky if not more than a traditional charging brick and cord. Unless the machine was so frugal on power that I could count on getting through an entire day on a single charge then this is a somewhat worthless feature.

Ah, but it sounds good and it'll sell the machine!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Ah, but it sounds good and it'll sell the machine!

True a machine with no visible connection points looks so sleek.

Practicality be damned! This is all about the sex!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Perhaps it's all hot air
  • Reply 13 of 19
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    And an exclusive deal with Starbucks to provide induction points?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios View Post

i could be wrong but i think you have that backwards. inductive charging, you plug it into a wall with a cable and the pod "beams" the energy to the battery by exciting the electrons. Similar to a basic wifi system. A huge waste of energy, especially at great distances. But if they lay on top of each other it might work.

Here is a link explaining it.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question292.htm

I know what you mean, I meant the device lacks a socket. My bad.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    160 GB 1.8" HDD - 4200 RPM

4200 RPM is good enough for watching movies? and other normal day to day stuff?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

160 GB 1.8" HDD - 4200 RPM

4200 RPM is good enough for watching movies? and other normal day to day stuff?

Perfectly OK. There is always size/performance tradeoff, and this is not a significant one. I am not sure how good this drives are for full-time use however. The iPod drives tend to fail if used as a boot drives too often, but that is probably a design/heating issue.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

http://9to5mac.com/macbook-air-2453564654

Cable-less Macbook, wireless USB(?)/WiMax(?)/Wifi/Bluetooth, power by induction.

If anyone could do it, Apple could .

I wonder if the first version would use EDGE/WiFi (as per iPhone) and also require an AT&T/O2 contract? Future versions would use 3G mobile connectivity once the netwkrs are there.

Probably no need for Wireless USB on the move, just the USB/Firewire ports in the docking station would be enough.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Maybe it's just me, but Macbook Air sounds awfully wrong in my ears.

I'm almost convinced that the claim on the banners hints toward

something else.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post

Maybe it's just me, but Macbook Air sounds awfully wrong in my ears.

I'm almost convinced that the claim on the banners hints toward

something else.

It may not be the best name, but it crushes the "Mac Minibook" name someone suggested. That name made me think of McDonalds and the blight that it is on civilization.

Anyway, your instincts that the banner is for something else are probably sound.