Daily Mail reports poor iPhone sales

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investi...6&in_page_id=3

Quite possibly wrong - it is the Daily Mail after all - but another poor sales report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investi...6&in_page_id=3

Quite possibly wrong - it is the Daily Mail after all - but another poor sales report.

I enjoyed this line...

"Apple president Steve Jobs is likely to announce pan-European sales of the device on Tuesday at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, but no breakdown will be given for individual countries, interpreted by some as a sign of market problems."

So some are interpreting a lack of country-by-country breakdown in a speech that hasn't been given yet as a sign of something.

Fascinating!

C.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I enjoyed this line...

"Apple president Steve Jobs is likely to announce pan-European sales of the device on Tuesday at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, but no breakdown will be given for individual countries, interpreted by some as a sign of market problems."

So some are interpreting a lack of country-by-country breakdown in a speech that hasn't been given yet as a sign of something.

Fascinating!

C.

I think they mean market problems in the UK. ie. that they aren't breaking out the numbers by country to hide that it did badly in the UK. But yes, Daily Mail reporters ringing/going around Carphone Warehouse shops in London, doesn't make an effective survey. It is all hearsay and speculation because of the lack of transparency Apple has with it's numbers for it's most hyped product in ages.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I just thought is was typical bad reporting.

"no breakdown will be given" -> "interpreted as a sign". How do they know? Interpreted by whom?

But I agree that the European sales performance could be anywhere in the range of "OK" to "not great".

I'm not surprised that Carphone Warehouse didn't sell many iPhones. The demographics are wrong. That said, it was refreshing to see live working phones on display, instead of plastic dummies.

The UK sales "reports" all had some spin. It was either an "iPhone Flop" story or an "iPhone success" story. The truth is in there. Somewhere.

If iPhones sales *are* low, it can only speed up the rate that Steve loses patience with the piratical, barbaric hordes that make up the mobile phone industry. This is why I think the idea of Apple sidestepping the whole industry is so appealing.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I was very skeptical when I decided to buy an iPhone, because I wasn't sure whether O2 would provide as good coverage or customer service as Vodafone. I also thought the iPhone's gadget appeal would wear off.

That was two months ago.

The iPhone is brilliant. All this tosh about EDGE not being as fast as 3G makes no sense, because the iPhone delivers an amazing user experience. What I like most about is how it syncs with my PC. And because I'm well over 40 and my eyesight is fading, the easy to view screen is a big plus too. The real reason to get one is, of course, the touch screen. It is so far ahead of anything else out there, Nokia and Samsung must be kicking themselves.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that if you read about anyone knocking the iPhone, then they obviously don't own one.

Sorry to sound like an ad for Apple, but you should never believe anything you read in the Daily Mail. The iPhone is the mutt's nuts. An expected bonus was lower roaming charges when surfing abroad as well as a lower monthy cost. I've had absolutely no problems with network availability or slow download speeds. Thank you, 02.

If I had one complaint about the iPHone it is that not enough is being done to sell it in Europe.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

. An expected bonus was lower roaming charges when surfing abroad as well as a lower monthy cost.

I *mostly* agree with you, but I was under the impression that the roaming data charges from O2 were eye-watering.

C.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Aren't all international roaming charges in Europe capped now anyway? They dropped dramatically after an EU investigation.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Aren't all international roaming charges in Europe capped now anyway? They dropped dramatically after an EU investigation.

Far be it from me to badmouth anything iPhone.

But according to O2 - the price is 7 quid per megabit!

C.