Your favorite Keynote moment !

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So . . . . we meet again . . . . . .

A new keynote. A bunch of new rumors.

And then the keynote commences. Updating frantically on Engagdet or others. Minute to minute.

Afterwards. Some joy. Some disappointment.

So, to pass the time;

What is your favorite keynote moment in the Steve Jobs era ?

Me, personally:

2003 - Introduction of PowerMac G5

Make it a short list !

Zon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Nothing compares to the elation of seeing the Titanium Powerbook on the live video feed. It was exactly what I wanted and it was gorgeous.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Steve throwing the digital camera when in wasn't working.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usedmac View Post

Steve throwing the digital camera when in wasn't working.

What year was this? I vaguely remember it.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    One of the best moments was when SJ demoed the way you burn a data disk from the Finder. Spontaneous applause, and he remarked, "that's the way it SHOULD work."

The iTunes Music Store and the story of how he got the record companies to sign on.

When Phil Schiller jumped off a platform holding an iBook to show how rugged it was.

Another good moment - after doing the whole keynote with demos and such, he announced that he had been using a PC running OS X the whole time. This was the intro of OS X Intel.

Worst moment: Revealing that the price of the Mac G4 Cube was $1799. Everyone gasped and knew it would be a flop.

Next worst: Sony's president.

Next worst: the failed demo of Netbooting 50 iMacs on a huge rack. The exact same demo had worked before.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Here's a compilation of things:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVUvW42CUA

I love when he says things like:

"Massive Branch Prediction Logic, which I dunno what it does... it predicts branches"

"Adaptive Latent Semantic Analysis. What is this? I dunno, but it works"

My personal favorite moments were the return of Steve Jobs ( http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qJs6MB077Bw ), the introduction of the Mac Mini and OS X. The Mini was the only Mac I bought the first revision of and within a month of release.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    When Steve introduced the iBook, picked it up while it was streaming video and put it through a hula-hoop. IT WAS WIRELESS! Pure showmanship, it was awesome.

I also liked with Phil jumped off a ledge with his ibook, classic.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    oh, and when the throws the camera into the audience.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Ah . I forgot!

The G4 Cube in 2000 !!!

I bought one of theme beauties in 2002 on eBay.

Was the Cube the most beautiful computer they have ever made ?

Zon
  • Reply 9 of 20
    When he introduced the white iBook G3.

It was nice, small, affordable, and my first mac...

Ahhh- 500MHz G3 with 512RAM a super drive, wifi, and 60GB Hard Drive...

I remember seeing it, them handing it out to all the people at the keynote to "sample" it, and waiting for FedEx. I can remember getting it too- the day of my high school graduation party...thanks mom and dad.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    The way the iPhone was introduced as 3 separate devices was absolutely perfectly timed. In a lesser presenter's hands, that could've just fallen apart. Steve managed it beautifully - I really believed they were introducing 3 products until he wanted me to believe it was just one. Listen to the crowd at that moment - it's a crowd pleaser, it's an a-ha moment, and it's funny.

I gladly would've paid $1.99 for video of that keynote.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    He bounced that camera off the stage into that guy's hands. Obviously wasn't happy with that. I understood. I expected worse.

Worst moment: WWDC a year later when there was no 3GHz G5. NIce job IBM. You blew it!

Favorite moment:

G4 Quicksilver's: Geforce 3 TI came to the Mac first, and I think Maya came to the Mac the same time. I bought all of them. Maya, Quicksilver w/Geforce 3 TI. Great year.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

G4 Quicksilver's: Geforce 3 TI came to the Mac first, and I think Maya came to the Mac the same time. I bought all of them. Maya, Quicksilver w/Geforce 3 TI. Great year.

I went to MacWorld NY that year- good times. Still have the Quicksilver poster they were giving away...
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quite a while ago when Steve ran a photoshop benchmark on a G4 vs Pentium3 if I recall correctly. I remember I was watching it live via CableTV on TechTV. Good times.

And when Leopard prices were introduced...

Home Basic... $129

Home Prem... $129

Professional... $129

ULTIMATE...... $129
  • Reply 14 of 20
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Oh it would be the utter look of dejection on everyone's faces after MWNY '01. Why you say? It was the last time we all had a keynote that didn't live up to the hype one bit. All the others since have been damn good.

...holy crap, it's been over 6 years since I've been to a Macworld Expo :-(
  • Reply 15 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Was that the one where there was only an iLife update or something, and everybody expected a PowerMac update, but Motorola couldn't get the processors to go any faster for like 3 years?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    i like when clicker failed to work ; he started to tell the story about him and woz about old TV remote for few mins and came back to the topic about two mins later (of course the clicker started working then)
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Was that the one where there was only an iLife update or something, and everybody expected a PowerMac update, but Motorola couldn't get the processors to go any faster for like 3 years?

I think he's referring to that particular dark moment, when Jobs introduced

the G4 500MHz PowerMac on stage, and a week or so later he had to announce the

downgrade from 500 to 450 because of some yield issues of Motos processor labs.

Darkest moment in his entire (stage) life, i suppose.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I'm right there with Tonton. That was the only time I ever purchased something immediately following a keynote.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

oh, and when the throws the camera into the audience.

I'm sorry but he definitely tossed it. I suspect Steve has no idea how fast he threw that.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akumulator View Post

I'm right there with Tonton. That was the only time I ever purchased something immediately following a keynote.

Agreed = Titanium PowerBook, although I never had one. It was an amazing surprise. Didn't it "roll out" on a remote control cart? So cool.