Mac sales up over 40 percent year-over-year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple later this month is expected to announce fiscal first quarter revenues of nearly $10 billion for the three-month period ending December, fueled largely by the ongoing resurgence of the company's personal computer business, according to one Wall Street analyst.

In a research note issued to clients Monday, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster downplayed concerns surrounding Apple's retail channels, saying he expects the company to announce record first quarter sales of approximately 2.3 million Macs.

He noted that data from market research firm NPD for the first two months of the December quarter indicates that Mac sales growth was up some 60 percent year-over-year. Figuring conservatively, the analyst said sales of 2.3 million Macs would indicate growth of 43 percent year-over-year compared to 28 percent yearly growth during the same quarter last year.

Munster also discounted some iPod-related concerns, saying he now expects Apple to best his previous estimate of 24 million to 25 million iPods sold during the December quarter.

"While there were reports that Apple Taiwanese supplier Catcher missed its quarter due to a cancelled Apple order, we confirmed with Catcher that it did not say the miss was due to Apple," he wrote. "We now expect Apple to report iPod sales of 25 million to 26 million, which is slightly ahead of the Street expectations of 24.7 million units."

The analyst also expects iPhone unit sales of approximately 2.2 million for the quarter, which is

essentially in line with Street expectations of 2.26 million.

"The iPhone is still in startup mode, so '08 is more of a foundational year for the product than it is a growth year," he told clients. "We believe it is more important that the iPhone product line progresses in '08 (with feature improvements and price decreases) than it is for the iPhone to see significant unit growth."

Overall, Munster expects Apple to report per-share earnings of $1.73 on sales of $9.73 billion, which includes a gross margin estimate of 33 percent.

"While it is difficult to predict what the stock will do around the quarter, we believe the December results, coupled with new Macs announced at Macworld, will increase Street confidence that Apple will have sustained Mac market share gains in 08," he wrote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    So the headline is just an analyst prediction and not real information. Good going.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So the headline is just an analyst prediction and not real information. Good going.

So, you thought that numbers would be leaked in advance of MacWorld and next weeks earnings report? Good going.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    This is great news. I'm one of those 2.3 million units sold. My MacBook was purchased on Nov. 30th and now has 4GB of RAM. At this pace I can't see why Apple won't have a double digit market share by the end of 2008.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

So, you thought that numbers would be leaked in advance of MacWorld and next weeks earnings report? Good going.

Good one.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    TO THE ADMINS:

Are these figures for the United States of America, for North America, for America, for the European Union, for Japan, for Asia, for Africa, for Australia, for... for the World?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

What's the deal with that? I didn't expect a leak. I don't pay attention to when the financial reports are coming out. I thought with the headline that maybe it was this week. Unlike maybe some other people, I don't jerk off to financial reports, especially not enough to keep tabs as to when they come out.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

TO THE ADMINS:

Are these figures for the United States of America, for North America, for America, for the European Union, for Japan, for Asia, for Africa, for Australia, for... for the World?

Those figures are just irrelevant. As noted above, the actual report doesn't come out until next week.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

I thought the same thing at first, and yeah the headline is junk. The real headline should apparently be that Mac sales were up 60% year over year. No clue why the analyst decided to be conservative when presented with market research showing 60% growth, but that's not answerable.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    If you are a mac addict, any apple news is good news. So yes, god going, thanks for the post and all the other ones, can't wait for tomorrow!

Thunk Different.

• Reply 10 of 19
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    this is why stocks are up 6 points today?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

What's the deal with that? I didn't expect a leak. I don't pay attention to when the financial reports are coming out. I thought with the headline that maybe it was this week. Unlike maybe some other people, I don't jerk off to financial reports, especially not enough to keep tabs as to when they come out.

Here. I'll ride your wave and jump in.

Good one!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    To the AI staff, here are some alternative titles...
    "Gene Munster predicts Mac sales up over 40 percent year-over-year"

"According to Piper Jaffray Mac sales up over 40 percent year-over-year"

"Mac sales up over 40 percent year-over-year?"
  • Reply 13 of 19
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now... wheres the fun in THAT!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

this is why stocks are up 6 points today?

Nope, it was up today because everything else was, people were buying tech today. Hopefully Apple will resume an upward trend soon regardless of market conditions. It's going to take more confirmation that the stock is not getting ahead of the fundamentals though. Fortunately for Apple holders, I do think that's going to happen as a result of the great holiday season's sales.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"Gene Munster predicts Mac sales up over 40 percent year-over-year"

"According to Piper Jaffray Mac sales up over 40 percent year-over-year"

"Mac sales up over 40 percent year-over-year?"

I have to agree with Solipsism. While there's not much room for improvement in the rate of sales growth in Apple products, there is a bit of room for improvement with the AppleInsider headlines.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    ...I'd still buy a Mac over a Windows Vista machine. Oh wait, I did.

No actually it does matter since more software manufacturers will be cranking out the goods as Apple's slice of the market fattens. Nice to see Elements 6.0 coming out.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I have to agree with Solipsism. While there's not much room for improvement in the rate of sales growth in Apple products, there is a bit of room for improvement with the AppleInsider headlines.

But... but... what would AI be without misleading, over-the-top, histrionic headlines?

You gotta think these things through.

• Reply 18 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

But... but... what would AI be without misleading, over-the-top, histrionic headlines?

You gotta think these things through.

Perhaps I shouldn't, but I do hold AI up to a higher standard. Historically, they seem to report the news as news and the rumours as rumours. I feel that the level of level and quality of reporting on this site is the main reason why these forums are filled with such excellent commenters who have been gracing these halls for many a year.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

This is great news. I'm one of those 2.3 million units sold. My MacBook was purchased on Nov. 30th and now has 4GB of RAM. At this pace I can't see why Apple won't have a double digit market share by the end of 2008.

Exciting to see Apple is at last achieving half the market share it had back in the 80's!