New Apple Cinema Display?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 193
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    http://gizmodo.com/339805/ultra+pret...-now-available

No thanks.

Just wreaks of being fragile and cracking.
  • Reply 82 of 193
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    It certainly is a departure for Dell industrial-design-wise.
  • Reply 83 of 193
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    apple will top that with an all glass display:

and it will be made of diamond so it will never break or even scratch.

• Reply 84 of 193
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    I think I'm in love with the idea of a super panoramic display! The Alienware and NEC demos from CES sparked my interest:

This resolution is 2880 x 900 (essentially two 1440x900 screens). It uses DLP rear projection tech in order to get the curviness. Anyways, I don't necessarily care about that. I do like the idea of a super-widescreen flat panel LCD display.

Say, 24" diag 2560x960, 30" 3200x1200 and 42" 3840x1440 res displays for $600, $1200 and $2000 while the usual 16:10 aspect ratio displays of 20, 24, and 30 inches could go for $400, $600, $1500. Pipe dream I know.
  • Reply 85 of 193
    If you could get a 30-inch ultra-wide screen for $1200, why would anyone buy the usual 16:10 30-inch screen for $1500...
  • Reply 86 of 193
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

If you could get a 30-inch ultra-wide screen for $1200, why would anyone buy the usual 16:10 30-inch screen for $1500...

I don't see any real advantage to a super wide screen. For certain applications it might be handy, just like for certain applications a tall screen would be handy.

You can get a 30" 16:10 display for about $1200. To me, 16:10 seems about right.
  • Reply 87 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Because the 16:10 30" screen is bigger! An 8:3 30" screen would be 28x11 (W x L) inches while a 16:10 (8:5) 30" screen would be 25x16 inches. This means the 16:10 30" screen would have 67% more area and 37% more pixels (using the 100.6 dpi of the current 30"). If a 30" 4:3 screen was available, it would be even bigger.
  • Reply 88 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I don't see any real advantage to a super wide screen. For certain applications it might be handy, just like for certain applications a tall screen would be handy.

Well, I do have certain applications in mind, but it's about using many of them at the same time. The aspect ratios I choose were specific. A 30" 8:3 screen would be like 2 18" 4:3 screens connected to each other. It would be better than a multi monitor arrangement as there won't be a visual discontinuity between monitors. My workflow often times requires me to look at one thing while editing another.

Wasn't even thinking about games. I could probably think of a few ergonomic reasons as well for why wider aspect ratios is better than continuing to make the screen larger while maintaining the same aspect ratios.
  • Reply 89 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

That is why I wish Apple would make the ACD with swivel capabilities. For Photoshop and Illustrator I love a wide screen for palettes and menus. But for InDesign and some word processing docs, I would love to be able to swivel the screen and use it in a vertical orientation for working on a whole page without having to scroll up and down to see margins, headers, footers and what all.

BTW, I noticed on the Mac Pro page that Front Row and iLife are now included on MPs. Isn't that new? Could it mean new ACDs with camera and IR remotes?
  • Reply 90 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

That is why I wish Apple would make the ACD with swivel capabilities. For Photoshop and Illustrator I love a wide screen for palettes and menus. But for InDesign and some word processing docs, I would love to be able to swivel the screen and use it in a vertical orientation for working on a whole page without having to scroll up and down to see margins, headers, footers and what all.

BTW, I noticed on the Mac Pro page that Front Row and iLife are now included on MPs. Isn't that new? Could it mean new ACDs with camera and IR remotes?

I hope they bring out new displays. I am ready to drop some my money on a Mac Pro and a 30" ACD. Come on Macworld!
  • Reply 91 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suneohair View Post

I hope they bring out new displays. I am ready to drop some my money on a Mac Pro and a 30" ACD. Come on Macworld!

Hey suneohair, I have already ordered my Mac Pro, now I am just waiting to see if I am going to be ordering a new ACD to go with it.

Just about 1 day and 13 hours from now we will see what is what.

Cheers
  • Reply 92 of 193
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I was at Best Buy today and saw Gateway's 30" display for $1699.

Given that it's $400. cheaper than the 30" Apple display, I may go for it if the Keynote doesn't offer some price breaks.
  • Reply 93 of 193
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Given that it's $400. cheaper than the 30" Apple display, I may go for it if the Keynote doesn't offer some price breaks.

Where do you get $400 difference? Apple's 30" CD is not $2099. $1799! A $100 difference.

\tApple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel) [Add $1799]

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...=AppleDisplays

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...vInB1de/2.?p=0
  • Reply 94 of 193
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Where do you get $400 difference? Apple's 30" CD is not $2099. $1799! A $100 difference.

\tApple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel) [Add $1799]

And if you're a member of NAPP then it is actually less than the Gateway at $1655.
  • Reply 95 of 193
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Where do you get $400 difference? Apple's 30" CD is not $2099.

Yes it is $2099. I'm Canadian.
  • Reply 96 of 193
    Quote:

Oh.
  • Reply 97 of 193
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Oh! 2
  • Reply 98 of 193
    Quote:

I, too, was waiting on ordering a Mac Pro--waiting for Apple to release a new 23"/24" ACD today. The last 23" ACD was released in August '06, was hoping for a new 23" or 24" unit with a faster response time and built-in iSight. Guess it's not going to happen today?
  • Reply 99 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by da2357 View Post

I, too, was waiting on ordering a Mac Pro--waiting for Apple to release a new 23"/24" ACD today. The last 23" ACD was released in August '06, was hoping for a new 23" or 24" unit with a faster response time and built-in iSight. Guess it's not going to happen today?

I have a thread here that is specifically speculating on when we will see new ACDs, or whether Apple will abandon them altogether.

The thinking right now is that if Apple is going to continue selling monitors, then we will see them at NAB in April. That will make it over 2 years since the last refresh.

For me, that may be Apple's last chance to get another $2000 out of my pockets. My Formacs are going on 6 years old and I am in need of a new monitor. NEC's recently announced 30-inch professional monitor will be my next purchase if there is no joy from Apple.
  • Reply 100 of 193
    Quote:

Dude,

You got banned AGAIN over at MR????

What did you do this time?