Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners

Comments

• Reply 361 of 384
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Yep, mini, nano, touch and classic are all lower case. Then again you've got Macbook products with Pro, Extreme, Express or Studio are upper case. So who knows!
  • Reply 362 of 384
    perhaps a remote play-esque thing from your iphone or ipod touch to your home computer a la ps3's remote play with psp
  • Reply 363 of 384
    It's not something Apple would name a Home @ iPod feature. What does it have to do with air at all? I really don't think that banner was actually there at all. It goes down to the floor, blocking most of the path... it doesn't make sense to put it there. That's why they used one of the short, rafter banners with the 'something in the air' saying. Not to mention that there are windows EVERYWHERE in that part of the building; there's no way they'd that that out in the open by windows. Or it could be real, but one of the BS ones mentioned in the covered banners thread
  • Reply 364 of 384
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Clever ruse indeed especially as it is also on apple's front page www.apple.com

Damn Steve's cleverness!

• Reply 365 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Yep, mini, nano, touch and classic are all lower case. Then again you've got Macbook products with Pro, Extreme, Express or Studio are upper case. So who knows!

Maybe Steve is into the poetry of e. e. cummings

anyone lived in a pretty how town

(with up so floating many bells down)

spring summer autumn winter

he sang his didn't he danced his did

Women and men(both little and small)

cared for anyone not at all

they sowed their isn't they reaped their same

sun moon stars rain
  • Reply 366 of 384
    You've waited long enough... Phil Collins' ENTIRE catalog available on iTunes.
  • Reply 367 of 384
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post

I'm channeling the dearly departed Kormac here...

A= Apple

I= Intel

R=??????

Apple

iTunes

Rentals?
  • Reply 368 of 384
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

sun moon stars rain

Damn his stuff is so good. Died just a few months before I was born. I have an old 1st ed. printing of his Complete Works, love his stuff. Gotte me all teary-eyed now before tomorrow ya piker!
  • Reply 369 of 384
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

sun moon stars rain

I'm not knocking it, but I don't get it.
  • Reply 370 of 384
    Some people here have mentioned the idea of Apple making actual TVs and naming them "AppleTV." These TVs would have all the power of the current AppleTV built-into them. Others have countered saying things like, "people generally replace their media boxes more often than their TVs." Well, if that is the case, and I agree... then why doesn't Apple build a TV that has a sort-of "docking station" built-into the back of the TV. The current version, and all updates of the current AppleTV would become a sort-of cartridge and then just slide down into a slot (docking station). This would eliminate the "more cables" problem. it would also eliminate the "more boxes" problem. it would also eliminate the "we want Apple brand TVs problem." What do you guys think?
  • Reply 371 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not knocking it, but I don't get it.

...e. e. cummings legally had his name changed to include all lowercase letters.
  • Reply 372 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rokeylounge View Post

Some people here have mentioned the idea of Apple making actual TVs and naming them "AppleTV." These TVs would have all the power of the current AppleTV built-into them. Others have countered saying things like, "people generally replace their media boxes more often than their TVs." Well, if that is the case, and I agree... then why doesn't Apple build a TV that has a sort-of "docking station" built-into the back of the TV. The current version, and all updates of the current AppleTV would become a sort-of cartridge and then just slide down into a slot (docking station). This would eliminate the "more cables" problem. it would also eliminate the "more boxes" problem. it would also eliminate the "we want Apple brand TVs problem." What do you guys think?

To paraphrase Johnny Rotten in Public Image Ltd. ("Rise"): "You could be wrong... you could be right."
  • Reply 373 of 384
    A Digital Lifestyle is esentially 'Your Content Anywhere" I think the 'something in the air' refers to both broadcasting (content) and maybe WiFi (a means).

A thin sub notebook isn't revolutionary, for me it would be like the Cube, interesting to look at but 'so what'. (If Steve Jobs introduced a MacBook Touch (12-15 inch screen with multi touch), that would be revolutionary but i think it is a little early for that maybe 09).

This year, as far as hardware goes, a much improved Apple TV is what is missing. The iPhone bought the internet to the pocket, they need to bring the internet to the living room. This requires the Apple TV to be a full-scale Mac, plus PVR/Tivo capabilities.

All your content (songs/podcasts/tv shows/movies) anywhere (Phones/computers/living room). This would be a compelling reason to becoming an all Apple household.

No ease feat but apple is in a unique posistion to make this happen with hardware/client software/ and internet services.
  • Reply 374 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rokeylounge View Post

I think that with as quickly as specs and prices change in the LCD/Plasma television market, Apple wouldn't want to get involved. There's a huge gap between the list price and street price on televisions if you shop around (we're talking as much as 33%), and Apple doesn't let anyone sell below their list price. Prices drop about a hundred dollars each month (both the MSRP and the street prices). Knowing the Apple way, it'd be a moderate price/performance ratio on the day it was announced and by the time it actually shipped you could get far more bang for your buck from a Sony or Samsung display.

The smarter thing for Apple to do would be to partner with a current leader in the LCD/Plasma market, who would in turn build a line of displays with, say, iTunes Store and streaming capabilities built in.
  • Reply 375 of 384
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

Really? Wow! Show me where i can sync photos from within iPhoto to a stunningly beautiful web gallery with 10GB of storage for free! Show me how i can do the same from within iWeb for free. Show me how to do Back to My Mac for free.

.Mac integrates so well because its made by the people that make the friggin OS.

OMG layoff the caffeine. If you want to pay for extra eye candy go for it. Otherwise search for the free stuff yourself on MacUpdate.
  • Reply 376 of 384
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Depends on your definition of successful...

I suppose he means a profitable techonology and very popular with the general public.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Oh that defintion of Successful, I thought you meant the other.

What other?
  • Reply 377 of 384
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:

...e. e. cummings legally had his name changed to include all lowercase letters.

No he didn't.

According to his widow he did not, as reported in the preface of one book, have his name legally changed to "e. e. cummings". He wrote to his French translator that he preferred the capitalized version. They wrote to Cummings on 27 February 1951 ... "are you E.E.Cummings, ee cummings, or what?(so far as the title page is concerned)wd u like title page all in lowercase?"

The poet himself replied replied on 1 March 1951: "E.E.Cummings, unless your printer prefers E. E. Cummings/ titlepage up to you."

So he personally preferred and used the uppercase (sometimes with space, sometimes without) in all his signings.

More on the debate here ... http://www.gvsu.edu/english/cummings/caps.htm

Now back to the madness.
  • Reply 378 of 384
    If the new "Sub-Notebook" had a SSD/NAND chip inside it, say 32-128GB, would the computer still need RAM? I just don't understand the concept completely.
  • Reply 379 of 384
    Don't let yourself get confused by all those acronyms.

A "SSD" is like a harddrive made of flash-storage.

A conventional HD uses spinning platters.

Just think of it as an overlarge CompactFlash-Card, or a SecureDigital-Card, the ones people use in their digital cameras.

My bet is an 80GB SSD, even if it is an unusual size for flash-storage.
  • Reply 380 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

My bet is an 80GB SSD, even if it is an unusual size for flash-storage.

My guess is a 80 or 160GB iPod style 1.8" conventional drive, with a 4Gb flash buffer.

(flash cache!)

C.