Elgato to unleash EyeTV 3 with Smart Guides, iTunes-like interface

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Sweet. I didn't know there were any AppleTV owners out there :-)
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Hedon View Post

Sweet. I didn't know there were any AppleTV owners out there :-)

I understand there are about 400,000 of us, give or take.

And maybe by the end of today, quadruple that amount, depending on what happens in a few hours.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    zanczanc Posts: 10member
    I hope they have added the ability to include the smaller MPEG2 program streams in their library, which can save significant amounts of disc space compared to the captured transport streams.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    If the list of new features is only as per this article then I am rather disappointed and will not bother upgrading.

The things I have been looking for are :-

1. H.264 support for watching and recording HDTV in Europe

2. DVB-S2 support (with CAM)

3. Shared CAM support (amongst more than one tuner)

4. Either their own full-blown Media Center style application or full integration with Front Row 2 in Leopard

5. XMLTV support for the guide data

The subscription (aka. series link) feature was on my wish list so that is good news. However without the rest I will stick with gasp! running Microsoft Media Center 2005 on my Mac mini.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I welcome EyeTV V3. I've used EyeTV since the beige USB 1.1 box. Looking forward to the 'subscription' feature--which works exactly like the feature request I submitted. Take that Tivo patents.

On the hardware front, where are the hardware h.264 encoders? They're showing up in cameras now, but no TV tuners to speak of yet. I'm sure when one comes out, Elgato will pounce on it (pun intended).
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Still no Canadian programme guide. Still waiting... Sympatico publishes a digital Television Guide for my cable provider, and now TiVo, being released in Canada, also has a TV Guide...

But I'm glad the changes are USEFUL... unlike 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 which made my EyeTV Remote Control do weird things (like random record-button, random close-live-tv window...)

WOW I'm crusty. I need coffee
  • Reply 47 of 55
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If 2000k hurts your connection I'd forget HD movies on iTunes

lol.... our cable system at the end of the road in canada was down for ten days ( a storm downed a radio tower) and i was on my trusted dial up line. however... i see no reason to NOT optimize images for size, that's just being lazy, or worse - incompetent.

iTunes HD or even just regular movies are not really an issue, as Canada is being treated like the retarded cousin by apple (and of course the studio's)... again. i seem to remember apple announcing iTunes movies just a few weeks ago (two or three tv shows, i think that was it) and iTunes movie rentals are only available in the USA...

BIG surprise...
  • Reply 48 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

lol.... our cable system at the end of the road in canada was down for ten days ( a storm downed a radio tower) and i was on my trusted dial up line. however... i see no reason to NOT optimize images for size, that's just being lazy, or worse - incompetent.

They were pretty heavy pictures. Even if all your readers had big pipes, pushing out tens of thousands of those pictures can quickly add up. I try to squeeze pictures down as much as I reasonably can because I want a snappy site regardless of the remote service. I set it up so those wanting better views can click a picture to see a larger view.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesperih View Post

Still no Canadian programme guide. Still waiting... Sympatico publishes a digital Television Guide for my cable provider, and now TiVo, being released in Canada, also has a TV Guide...

But I'm glad the changes are USEFUL... unlike 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 which made my EyeTV Remote Control do weird things (like random record-button, random close-live-tv window...)

WOW I'm crusty. I need coffee

yeah.... very disappointing. overall the upgrade is not worth the 40 bucks. the interface is shinier, and i think there's a couple more export formats that seem irrelevant to me personally. other than that all the 'new features' are enhancement to the program guide, which we still don't get in Canada. so save your money on this upgrade...

i can't believe that elgato is dragging their heels on the canadian guide for years now. luckily there is the shareware MacProgramGuide (coolmacsoftware.com) that does it. of course if ONE guy in Montreal can provide a guide, i think that elgato might be able to manage it as well...
  • Reply 50 of 55
    strange editing/posting system at appleinsider messageboards!?
  • Reply 51 of 55
    hmm, edits of posts produce duplicates of the posts!
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post

If the list of new features is only as per this article then I am rather disappointed and will not bother upgrading.

2. DVB-S2 support (with CAM)

3. Shared CAM support (amongst more than one tuner)

4. Either their own full-blown Media Center style application or full integration with Front Row 2 in Leopard

5. XMLTV support for the guide data

The subscription (aka. series link) feature was on my wish list so that is good news. However without the rest I will stick with gasp! running Microsoft Media Center 2005 on my Mac mini.

Amen to that list, brother! ... el gatao is just plain lazy or simply dumb! (hard to say which is worse?)

these are basic dvr-like features which elgato has ignored FOR YEARS!

not to mention other no-brainers that elgato has also stiffed its users ---

* online guides (as cited by another poster here ...

nothing for canada, latam/south america, or asia)

* subtitles (not burned in) & closed captioning & aux audio tracks ... // full support // is still MIA

in short" the elgato dvr products seem to be just as pathetic as elgato's "h264 turbo" encoder product for 6G media players (pod/touch/phone/atv) - ie it isnt an isolated example.

and as for all the peans from fainbois (who waste so much space on appleinsider messageboards!) ... equally pathetic.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post

My EyeTV 200 converts analog into MPEG-4, I don't know what flavor. All the recordings are playable in EyeTV. I thought Elgato was a European company, they should have that down.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ah, excellent news. The hybrid works flawlessly on my C2D iMac (256mb 7600 model). No jitter or interlacing problems whatsoever. And I am anal retentive about that kind of thing.

My top two wishes for the elgato software are:

* Less resource intensive. Decoding HD consumes about half of my machine's resources. I realize that the task is inherently heavy-weight, but a bit more optimization is hopefully still possible.

* Better access to programming guide via the apple remote. It should be, at most, two clicks away.

Keep up the good work Elgato! I'm impressed enough with their products that I'll be buying an HDhomerun soon as well. Just have to finish all them cat6 runs to the basement first.

Can anyone comment on the performance (not features) of the new software?
  • Reply 55 of 55
    CANADIANS NOT SUPPORTED!

Any Canadian wishing to buy an Elgato product should be aware that EYETV does NOT support scheduling information in Canada. While Elgato claims they have been "working on it" no solution has been offered. This situation has been going on for YEARS. Even with the latest release of EyeTV 3, there is still no Canadian schedule integration.

Not having the scheduling function support severely cripples the otherwise wonderful software that this company has built.

Canadians should do a little research and consult the Elgato discussion forums to read threads on this subject and give Elgato some much needed feedback.