moved: iMovie3 / iDVD3=Great new functions!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
At Last!! No more exporting to Quicktime to create DVDs!

Loads of new themes!

And, most importantly (IMHO) Chapter markers!

I have been waiting for functionality just like this for a looong time

DVD-R's getting cheaper! (will hit $1 per disc soon) What more could you ask for, I'm pretty stoked about it!

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    [quote] No more exporting to Quicktime to create DVDs!

<hr></blockquote>

sweet...didn't know that....exporting to Quicktime was easily the LONGEST part of turning an iMovie into an iDVD....g
  • Reply 2 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>

sweet...didn't know that....exporting to Quicktime was easily the LONGEST part of turning an iMovie into an iDVD....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, that was a massive problem. I am so glad it is resolved...I used to export while chatting on AIM. I had to keep clicking on the chat window then unclicking it because the movie wouldnt render until it was the primary CPU user. I dont know how many times the dock had to reappear because iMovie was in its own enclosed window...I cant thank Apple enough for delivering on this major overhaul.

Only 17 more days til iMovie 3!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    Hopefully iMovie 3 will finally also support exporting to MPEG4/AAC Audio when exporting to MOV (or did I just miss that somehow? I do have QT Pro, but AAC never shows up in the export dialog.)

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 4 of 17
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    God when will Apple realise that for the 320 million people in Europe the iMovie and iDVD are prety useless without 16:9 support.

I would much rather we had 16:9 support than chapters. In many ways is is better to buy a CDRW mac and the Formac DVDION han a superdrive because the Formac software supports 16:9.

What is the matter with Apple don't they do any mayket research. The USA may still ber hanging on to 4:3 TV but here in Europe you are hard pressed to even be able to buy a 4:3 set these days. All Dv video cameras record in 'Widescreen' mode and if we use iDVD and play back the resulting disks all the films appear tall and thin in a 4:3 window.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>God when will Apple realise that for the 320 million people in Europe the iMovie and iDVD are prety useless without 16:9 support.

I would much rather we had 16:9 support than chapters. In many ways is is better to buy a CDRW mac and the Formac DVDION han a superdrive because the Formac software supports 16:9.

What is the matter with Apple don't they do any mayket research. The USA may still ber hanging on to 4:3 TV but here in Europe you are hard pressed to even be able to buy a 4:3 set these days. All Dv video cameras record in 'Widescreen' mode and if we use iDVD and play back the resulting disks all the films appear tall and thin in a 4:3 window.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ever heard of 3rd party Apps?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I, for one, am incredibly excited about Chapters.

The target group for iDVD is consumers. Consumers rarely go off the auto settings for their camcorders, which would lead them to 16:9 . Cosumers probably demanded Chapters like they saw on other DVDs, and this was a natural step for iDVD. Next, I hope to 16:9 support as that would allow for a more proffesional look.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Guys, if you want 16:9, buy DVD Studio Pro. it does 16:9 no problem.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    can anyone say DVD Studio Express with 16:9 support and support for external burners?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>Guys, if you want 16:9, buy DVD Studio Pro. it does 16:9 no problem.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't be an idiot. I am not a pro. Imagine if 16:9 was standard and you had to buy DVD pro for to make 4:3 DVD's then you would realise how stupid your comment is. In Europe 16:9 is as standard as 4:3 is to the US.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Addison ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member

<strong>

Don't be an idiot. I am not a pro. Imagine if 16:9 was standard and you had to buy DVD pro for to make 4:3 DVD's then you would realise how stupid your comment is. In Europe 16:9 is as standard as 4:3 is to the US.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Addison ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would be a nice feature to have 16:9, and I'll take your word that widescreen TVs are common in Europe.

But it would just be a nice feature. 4:3 still works on widescreen displays, just with letterboxes. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Here in Australia all television is broadcast in 14:9 as a comprimise between those who have 4:3 (12:9) and those who have 16:9.

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 17
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    actually I have seen Dvdr's on dealmac for I think as low as .50 and definately a buck...but I am not sure these will work with the superdrive...as anyone tried these? or doesn everyone stick to the apple media?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Don't be stupid!

Apple don't realise there is a world outside the US, therefore nothing is ever catered for with it's international customers. This is one of the big reasons sales in Europe are so pap!

A raw deal really, considering we pay even more for our hardware!!

Tim
  • Reply 13 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>

It would be a nice feature to have 16:9, and I'll take your word that widescreen TVs are common in Europe.

But it would just be a nice feature. 4:3 still works on widescreen displays, just with letterboxes. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Here in Australia all television is broadcast in 14:9 as a comprimise between those who have 4:3 (12:9) and those who have 16:9.

Barto</strong><hr></blockquote>

Barto this doesn't work, as the source material is anamorphic and so the DVD player needs to be told to unsqueeze the picture fot it to be viewable. The source material is full height.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

<strong>God when will Apple realise that for the 320 million people in Europe the iMovie and iDVD are prety useless without 16:9 support.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Useless? 16:9 is not as widespread as you seem to imply.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    16:9 TVs are very common in Europe, but the fact is (in Ireland and GB anyway) that terrestrial channels seldom broadcast programming in 16:9 abeit feature films and special events.

Satellite subscribers (eg. Sky Digital) and cable (eg. NTL) have dedicated 16:9 channels and a slightly higher proportion of widescreen general programming.

4:3 TVs are still widely available and a few of the larger manufacturers include a function in these to "unsqueeze" the picture though in doing so you will lose some of the picture.

On larger 4:3 screens the issue of watching "widescreen" broadcasts is generally not a big issue as you can view the whole picture abeit with black bars top and bottom.

Yes, 16:9 support from Apple in iMovie would be a big bonus as stated by DV cam enthusiasts here, but I believe "Virtix" for one do have a plug-in for this function.

European users of iMovie should contact Apple via the link on the iMovie page telling them "How we can make iMovie better"
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I watch freeview DTB and bearly all channels broadcast in 16:9 anamorphic. I understand that the same is true of most sky digital broadcasts.

Incidently, I think the problem is only with iDVD. It is iDVD that encodes the disk with the bit that tells the DVD player that the material is either 16:9 or 4:3. If iMovie had 16:9 support it would only change the way interface/gui displays the preview.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Addison ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Moving to Digital Hub.