MacBook Air - CUBE / or not CUBE?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 185
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I'd love to see the demo. Unfortunately, Apple's site is getting hammerred. By orders, maybe?
  • Reply 22 of 185
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    This whole Macbook vs Air thing is funny to watch.

I guess the whole 'but it's an ultra-portable' isn't getting through to people.

Much the same with the 'but it's a smart-phone' concerning the iphone.

I personally think Apple could have and should have put their efforts to better use but at the same time, if this is a big hit in Asia, it could mean a lot of money. It seems pretty competitively priced to me.

I did like the Intel champagne laptop better design-wise though. This looks like the clam-shell ibooks which were just horrible. Having said that, I have a feeling the pictures are not quite telling the whole story. Take a ruler and measure 0.6 inches. Somehow I doubt the shape will be all that noticeable in real life.

I love the fact it's metal and glass. I don't remember ever seeing a laptop with a glass screen. Hopefully it won't be as shiny as the Macbook.

Form factor was never more of an issue for me than weight when lugging a laptop around so I think the size is ok. I'd still have to think twice about buying this over an Asus EEPC though for an ultra-mobile laptop. I could buy an Asus and a Macbook for separate occasions for less than the Macbook Air.

For example, I'd take the Asus on a camping trip if I went on those as I would want something cheap that I don't mind if it gets damaged and just covers emails and some movies but I'd take a Macbook for a business meeting where I could play a DVD handed out at the presentation and I get a faster machine with more ports. The Macbook Air doesn't seem to work better for either of those occasions.
  • Reply 23 of 185
    It's a niche machine, but they made some good choices. I have a MBP and I can count on one finger the number of times i've plugged it into an ethernet network.

Dropping big ass speakers = good move, notebook sounds is bad no matter how you cut it.

little, slow HD = ok for the intended market. This machine isn't meant to do any hard core computing, it's meant to sit on your coffee table and surf the internet.

The price is ok. I wish they'd stuck a firewire port on it, but oh well.

As for SSD, it's still to expensive, but those things are getting cheaper very quickly and will be mainstream in 2 years, maybe less. Expect them to cost 1/2 of what they do now in one year.
  • Reply 24 of 185
    And btw, I take offense at what you're saying about the cube. That was a great machine and way ahead of it's time. The problem was that apple didn't update it one last time or drop the price just a little bit. I know a ton of people who almost bought them except they were just a little overpriced. Apple would do great with a cube nowadays because they have a huge audience of people who want more than a mini (insert xmac argument here)..

Anyway, my cube is still running strong and until the intel machines came out it wasn't even that out of date in terms of performance. It was faster than the intel minis when they came out.
  • Reply 25 of 185
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    But! (cue scary music): Non-swappable battery!

From the tech specs: Integrated 37-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

Let the hate fest begin.
  • Reply 26 of 185
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    I would call it an "ultra-portable" if it had a 12.1" screen and was one inch smaller in length and width. I know at least one potential customer who will probably not buy it because of the 13.3" screen (not me, my idea of a portable computer is my Mac Pro because it has handles).
  • Reply 27 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gfeier View Post

I would call it an "ultra-portable" if it had a 12.1" screen and was one inch smaller in length and width. I know at least one potential customer who will probably not buy it because of the 13.3" screen (not me, my idea of a portable computer is my Mac Pro because it has handles).

So Apple decided to make the trade-off for that inch of width to get full sized keyboard and bigger screen.

Seems worth it to me, but I'm probably not the target demographic. But, honestly, what does an inch of width get me in terms of easier to carry around and use in tight quarters? Is it really so significant that it justifies a cramped keyboard?
  • Reply 28 of 185
    Completely agree that this is a niche product, intended for those who want something for the road, and not meant to be anyone's "primary" computer. For those who already have a fairly new Mac at home and have the money to burn on a second (or third), this looks great. I'm sure that the salespeople at the Apple stores are not going to be advising anyone to buy this instead of an iMac, MacBook or MacBook Pro if someone comes in and tells them that they are looking for something that they can use to put all of their music, photos and movies on and use as their primary computer for all of their day-to-day needs.
  • Reply 29 of 185
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The only thing I see in this thread is tons of people who don't get it. i was just told to try and pre-order 4 of these for our CEO and his minions.

You think this is a niche market? How about the ultra expandable tower market for super high end uses; it's an order of magnitude smaller than the ultra thin laptop market.
  • Reply 30 of 185
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Spectre, exactly. People going to the Apple store to browse will be steered to the iMac, mini, MB, or MBP. People leaving with an air went there knowing exactly what they wanted.
  • Reply 31 of 185
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Cube. Big time.
  • Reply 32 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

For example, I'd take the Asus on a camping trip if I went on those as I would want something cheap that I don't mind if it gets damaged and just covers emails and some movies but I'd take a Macbook for a business meeting where I could play a DVD handed out at the presentation and I get a faster machine with more ports. The Macbook Air doesn't seem to work better for either of those occasions.

If I had the money sure, but for me, the Eee PC is > All. I love it.
  • Reply 33 of 185
    yeah i agree with the size of the market. By niche I don't mean small, i mean separate. It has a much more specific and limited use than apple's other laptops. It doesn't mean they're not going to sell a zillion of them.

I know people who haven't switched to macs "because they don't have an ultraportable." these folks don't just own one machine, they own at least 2. One serious machine and one ultraportable. This is going to be the 2nd machine for when people are one the road. And BTW, it's fine for doing powerpoints, excel, writing, etc. It's not gimped for those applications. and biz people love having a laptop with bling. There's nothing they like more than the person they are meeting with going 'ooohh that's a sweet laptop.'
  • Reply 34 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Let the hate fest begin.

And the lawsuits.
  • Reply 35 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

It's a niche machine, but they made some good choices. I have a MBP and I can count on one finger the number of times i've plugged it into an ethernet network.

Dropping big ass speakers = good move, notebook sounds is bad no matter how you cut it.

little, slow HD = ok for the intended market. This machine isn't meant to do any hard core computing, it's meant to sit on your coffee table and surf the internet.

The price is ok. I wish they'd stuck a firewire port on it, but oh well.

As for SSD, it's still to expensive, but those things are getting cheaper very quickly and will be mainstream in 2 years, maybe less. Expect them to cost 1/2 of what they do now in one year.

Guess what? You don't seem to think people use their laptops consulting around the globe? Corporations will give you an ethernet cable to plug into a DMZ and work. Moron corporations let you wifi into their corporate infrastructure. It happens, but shouldn't.

Ethernet for professional laptops is important.
  • Reply 36 of 185
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    no one is saying its not a cool computer. i guess the quibble is what makes an 'ultra portable'? is it weight or size ?

i was under the impression that in japan people love the small vaios because of their small dimensions. the weight goes along with that. i wonder if apple did focus groups to find out. if it really is just a weight issue then i agree, they have a winner on their hands. if its all about dimensions then , no, they missed the boat.

i still think many people will buy it just because of the design. for students or mobile professional types it would be slick. i would probably get one if i didnt already have a macbook. ideal uses would be the person who needs to run around the city a lot, stop in starbucks , edit a few text docs and email. definitely not the artists book. not enough power. there are many yuppies (thinking NYC) that would love to have this simply because it is so light. i think it will sell better in places like NYC than japan.
  • Reply 37 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But! (cue scary music): Non-swappable battery!

From the tech specs: Integrated 37-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

Let the hate fest begin.

That is the dumbest design decision of all.
  • Reply 38 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Guess what? You don't seem to think people use their laptops consulting around the globe? Corporations will give you an ethernet cable to plug into a DMZ and work. Moron corporations let you wifi into their corporate infrastructure. It happens, but shouldn't.

Ethernet for professional laptops is important.

USB ethernet adapter FTW.
  • Reply 39 of 185
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    oh yeah...and if you really need one, you can always buy the apple usb ethernet adapter.
  • Reply 40 of 185
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Cube. Big time.

no; Steve is the new Robin Hood; rob from Rich and give it to poor

all the cash cows must buy this