Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world?s thinnest notebook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Haven't been watching apple stock very long I take it?

I can't think of a keynote where the stock didn't go down several dollars immediately after. That's just the way it is, and always shall be.

This is common. The stock goes up on positive rumors and then sells on the news. Its a key part of financial psychology. Similarly, stocks can go down on negative rumors and then rally on the actual news.
  • Reply 42 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John F. View Post

The Apple website says this has a special custom-built Intel Core 2 Duo processor in it, which is 60 percent smaller than the regular one. Is it true that Intel made it specifically for Apple? Did it cost Apple much, you think?

It didn't cost Apple anything, you can be sure. And as nothing was said about this chip only being used by Apple, it's likely that Intel will be selling it around. Apple will likely have first crack, possibly for a bit of time.
  • Reply 43 of 399
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

\ ... people will find anything to whine about.

Hating it is the only thing they can do to keep themselves from buying it. It's not a very healthy defense strategy.

Post #213. Don't tell anyone.
  • Reply 44 of 399
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    If you can't add more RAM, that is a bummer. Otherwise, nice machine but pricey!!
  • Reply 45 of 399
    I don't really get that thinnest hype. It used to be "less is more" but now less is just much less. It might be art but I don't really get why someone would buy this. It looks nice but no drive, such a small hard drive lack of firewire and a slow processor compared to a mbp. Who buys this kinda stuff anyway?
  • Reply 46 of 399
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

Everything is STUNNING but price is expensive

i think they should call it as

Mac Book Expensive

it is more expensive than 12" PB

Maybe you should compare it to the Sony TZ? The MacBook Air is $900 less, larger screen, and much faster. So much for Macs being expensive.

Reducing the size costs money.
  • Reply 47 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bucci View Post

I'm a bit dissapointed. While I think it looks really nice, the price doesn't justify the specs. I'm sure there will be some people who drop $1799 (minimum) for the cool factor, however.

Anyone think there will ever be a 2nd revision?

No. Apple will never revise this. Apple NEVER revises any of their machines. We're just imagining all of this. Actually, Apple still makes the Mac 128, the rest is just Job's RDF. We THINK Apple has had new, and revised machines.

So, this machine will be here 'till the end of time (esp considering that it's really a Mac 128 with a portable gasoline generator that we can't see).
  • Reply 48 of 399
    and do not forget is free shipping for a machine that eventually it will lead the line of notebook to be redesign ,no touch screen , 2 gb of memmory no tablet .
  • Reply 49 of 399
    Quote:

Looks like a prototype by Intel. They have a whole pile of those sorts of things using their advanced tech. I bet they have a dual-Nehalem prototype somewhere too (2x 4 cores w/ 2 threads/core).

In fact, that's probably basically the MacBook Air. Razor-thin with a 45nm Penryn, x3100, etc.

The real issue is the HDD. I'm gonna complain about this for a while (even though I'll buy one if I can figure out financing), but a 4200rpm HDD is gonna suck. That's what my 3 year old iBook has, and it's SLOW. Maybe the 80GB version is better than the my old 60GB one, but I want benchmarks showing that it's not horrible.
  • Reply 50 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Count on $200.00 PLUS within the next few weeks. The drop ALWAYS happens. It sucks, but I've never sold any shares when this happens. I have several hundred. Of course I did purchase at UNDER $7.00 BEFORE the split

I HAVE been a Mac fan a long time.

Skip

PS Heck I was the founder and past President of what was Maine's largest Mac group (LA MUG) years ago, which is when I bought the stock. The group isn't going so strong now ? but the stock is doing fine

Hey maybe I should see if the Mac group in CA wants to buy the URL (www.lamug.com)

YES YES YES....I always sell the day before the earnings, when it pumps up real high, and then the day after when it tanks again I buy back and end up with 20% more shares than the day before...
  • Reply 51 of 399
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, I was disappointed in the lack of any info about Penyrn upgrades for any of the other machines. I also expected Apple to take advantage of that to offer better graphics for the iMac. My daughter and I waited for this keynote before buying her a new machine, and now, I don't know what to do.

I'm wondering just what Wallstreet was expecting. The movie rentals is really BIG.

I wonder if it was the lack of some sales numbers? The Air costing $300, or so, over expectations? The lack of other Penyrn announcements? More movie sales? No talk of more DRM-free content for iTunes?

Could be a bit of all the above, including what I've forgotten to put in to this post. Haven't checked my realtime stock account so far today. Could be the markets are down too.

The markets down OVER 200 Points! As goes Apple so goes the rest of the market

Awhile back I was watching Wall Street Journal on TV, and they said that Apple and it's products have created a BILLION dollar PLUS a year 3rd party market, and when Apple is doing well, so goes the market.

They called it "iEconomics" and they said this VERY seriously!

Skip
  • Reply 52 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

I don't really get that thinnest hype. It used to be "less is more" but now less is just much less. It might be art but I don't really get why someone would buy this. It looks nice but no drive, such a small hard drive lack of firewire and a slow processor compared to a mbp. Who buys this kinda stuff anyway?

About 7% of computer buyers.
  • Reply 53 of 399
    Quote:

Just curious did the intel ship? The article said prototype. I haven't looked for a new box in a while, but I haven't seen this one out there.
  • Reply 54 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Hating it is the only thing they can do to keep themselves from buying it. It's not a very healthy defense strategy.

It's not just the 'hating' of the MBA ... it's also the threads popping up with complaints that it has features that the MBP doesn't have. Or that it's missing features that the MB has. (... and any permutations of the feature sets of it's siblings.)

Apparently, Apple owes everyone the perfect machine complete with: massive SSD storage, 15 (or so) USB ports, FW3200, quadraphonic sound, 2 ethernet ports (in case one breaks, as we all know Apple QC is terrible), built-in blu-ray, etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and that perfect machine should probably cost about the same as a Macbook. Or a pizza. Or something.

sigh.
  • Reply 55 of 399
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Awhile back I was watching Wall Street Journal on TV, and they said that Apple and it's products have created a BILLION dollar PLUS a year 3rd party market, and when Apple is doing well, so goes the market.

I think the causality is the other way, Apple's down because the rest of the stocks / economy is down. It's silly to suggest that the Apple ecosystem is enough to bring down the market like that. The markets have many trillions of dollars of market capitalization involved.
  • Reply 56 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

This is common. The stock goes up on positive rumors and then sells on the news. Its a key part of financial psychology. Similarly, stocks can go down on negative rumors and then rally on the actual news.

Thanks guys. Good to know. Nice way of making some extra $$ on the next big event! ;o)
  • Reply 56 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifiredmyboss.com View Post

Just curious did the intel ship? The article said prototype. I haven't looked for a new box in a while, but I haven't seen this one out there.

It was only a concept to show what 'could' be done.
  • Reply 58 of 399
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

Skip

Speaking of Stock Market, anyone here using PowerTicker Stock Software for the Mac?
  • Reply 59 of 399
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifiredmyboss.com View Post

Intel doesn't directly market them. Sometimes other companies license the designs and make them. Averetec did that of the odd iMac-like computer.
  • Reply 60 of 399
    What I'm pumped for is a multi-touch pad probably showing up in the new Penryn Macbook Pro in the next few months. It also looks as if we'll see the backlit macbook-style keyboard and magnetic latch. I'm all for it.